Hot Air and Broken Promises

marknorton

Guest Essemmlee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I accept your kind offer of the information that you are about to send me on this subject and thanks for your efforts

Twisty, twisty. The stuff of antipodean obfuscation.

But you still haven't supported your wild, and potentially, inaccurate statement. I don't suppose you will.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While this thread digresses into some more of the usually amusing, anonymous character revealing internet forum confrontations, I'll just add this: as I said in an earlier post in this thread, the maim reason Leica should make this shutter sound improvement available to the original M8 is because the camera is not finished until it gets it. It is the only Leica rangefinder that's ever been made that cannot be used in sensitive areas where quietness is required. ALL other Leica rangefinders were recommended for such work and in fact were often the only cameras allowed for such work. I have an old M6 brochure that even mentions something like this! Perhaps I should post this to Leica! I don't think anyone really expects perpetual upgrades, just a comparable Leica M camera. Despite what others might say, this camera fails as a Leica M.

JGW.

Most of the Leica m8's hardly see the light of day, there are enough monied guys out there to buy, play and then put them in with the rest of the redundant ,unwanted etc toys.. Sure they will buy another M whatever because it promises to be better and is affordable, some lose a bit of their money in our present environment but most will get it back plus more and start buying the S2, m9 or whatever is new by the bucketfull. For important photographs they pay others to take them with whatever camera as long as it comes up looking spunky ( love that word)

In the wash up it doesn't have to be a great camera just good enough to make sales as the myth/mystique for many is alive and well. Some people who need to take photographs will use an m but most will opt for something practical.

When Kaufman tires of his company or dies( whichever comes first) it will be sold off and a new saga for the better or worse will begin

..... comedian!!!? gotta luvit!

fotografr looks like Terry has become one of your satellites mooning around you, not sure if you are a planet or have you been demoted like Uranus

I don't mind if you do not agree with the issue I was raising but I would prefer that you didn't derail the thread with this nonsense.

How can you complain!!!...

Remember the title you created "Re: Hot Air and Broken Promises"...

This was a run away train wreck of a thread designed to set people off... 11 pages of childish Bit*hing & Complaining and you expect it to stay on point?...

I wish this thread would go away and be replace by a worth while thread that is an exchange of ideas about how we can use our M8's better and be better photographers...

I don't mind if you do not agree with the issue I was raising but I would prefer that you didn't derail the thread with this nonsense.

Mark--This thread ran it's course pages ago and has been derailed numerous times. Perhaps we should all move on to a new topic.

Why not contribute something positive to the thread where the newcomer is thinking about buying an M8, but is potentially being put off by the moaning, bitching and whining? (If you haven't already done so, of course!)

:)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/67678-m6-user-about-not-buy-m8.html

Why not contribute something positive to the thread where the newcomer is thinking about buying an M8, but is potentially being put off by the moaning, bitching and whining? (If you haven't already done so, of course!)

:)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/67678-m6-user-about-not-buy-m8.html

I don´t know, Andy, I kind of like the moaning part.:D

Why would someone buy a M8 at this stage? he/she could just go for a M8.2 - this thread is exactly giving some recommendation on that. LOL

Why would someone buy a M8 at this stage? he/she could just go for a M8.2

Cost. In the UK you can get a brand new M8 for £2500 if you shop around - or used, I guess, for £1750-ish (and only getting lower). M8.2 is £3900 with the small discount I've been offered. You can see why Leica want to establish some unique advantages with the M8.2 compared with the M8.

Personally, I think that, come 2009, after the die-hard fans and the usual well heeled buyers have obtained their 'latest and greatest', Leica are going to begin to struggle to sell the M8.2 at any price - let alone the best part of £4k. The trouble with the M8/8.2 is that it has a real 'end of line' feel about it. Let's face it, the M8 is now two years old as a shipping product and the whole marketplace has moved on a lot since then. Us users know it's many strengths (and weaknesses) but to the uninitiated and the uncommitted, the M8/8.2 is simply yesterday's technology and something you probably will not want to be buying into (at full RRP) now.