zm 25mm performance

hnaa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello again,

thanks for the responses about purchasing lenses in Chicago, I actually think I will go for the idea about ordering from Popflash, and having it deliverede at the hotel. I would like to hear from people with experiences with the 25mm ZM. I've read Sean's review, thanks again to Sean for a great site BTW, but would like to hear from other people as well. Do you get the one with the modified flange, from Popflash and then Cornerfix in PP, or do you use the codeable Milich replacement flange?

Seems to be a brilliant lens. I've also been thinking of getting a 24 or 25mm lens for wide angle flash work. Using a seperate finder with flash isn't the most practical solution around.. Yes, I have the Wein safe sync, but my Zeiss 25/28 sits very loosely in that hot shoe. So loose that it will probably just slide off in use and I want that to happen..

I'll probably just go for the CV 25mm though as my Leica 21mm ASPH will be used most of the time anyway.. Otherwise the Zeiss 25mm would probably be my choice..

The ZM 25mm is a beautiful lens which I thoroughly enjoyed on my M7. A real natural for close in event work.

I sold it reluctantly after I moved to the M8. Too many bothersome issues in getting it properly coded and converted so that it called up the "proper" (24mm) viewfinder frame in the M8.

All in all, a first class optic.

-g

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my ZM 25mm, great walk around lens. Have used it extensively while traveling. I did have a slight problem recently, the lens was "loose" due to a retaining ring unscrewing itself. The folks at my favorite camera store were able to do a quick fix and it's good as new.

The lens is terrific, highly recommended.

Kent

its a good lens no doubt about that

but for my tastes pictures seemed to have a milky complexion and faces froma distance were a bit mushy but i havent heard other people report that so go and try one yourself

for me though, when I got the 24mm elmarit it was chalk and cheese, The Leica completely trounced it and I only had to take a couple of images wide open to see that

The ZM 25 mm 2,8 was my favoured lense on my film Zeiss Ikon. 'The Biogon 25' is a legendary lense with a history of being one of the best lenses ever made. But if you are going to use it on a M8 I would rather advice you to buy the 21 instead due to the crop factor, which will be a Biogon closer to the original on a M8.

Sean,

Just the way I will use it probably. Very compact and light too.

I'm a subscriber at your site, but is the decentering problem a sample issue or is it a real issue? I'm not a big fan of decentering..

It has been a sample problem for multiple samples. Realistically, the copy of this lens that one buys may be de-centered. I'd suggest testing it after you buy it to see if the problem is there and if its degree bothers you.

Cheers,

Sean

The ZM 25 mm 2,8 was my favoured lense on my film Zeiss Ikon. 'The Biogon 25' is a legendary lense with a history of being one of the best lenses ever made. But if you are going to use it on a M8 I would rather advice you to buy the 21 instead due to the crop factor, which will be a Biogon closer to the original on a M8.

Which one would you recommend 21mm f2.8 or f4.5?

Besides the f.stop differences I heard the f4.5 has less distortion. I am thinking of getting on 21mm ZM. Still judging which one?

Which one would you recommend 21mm f2.8 or f4.5?

Besides the f.stop differences I heard the f4.5 has less distortion. I am thinking of getting on 21mm ZM. Still judging which one?

I had the 25 mm 2,8, but back then the 21 mm 4,5 was not available. Hum. this depends on what you prefer and what you can afford. The fastest costs € 200 more. Still I think I would have gone for the cheapest and the one with the least distortion; the 21 mm 4,5.

It has been a sample problem for multiple samples. Realistically, the copy of this lens that one buys may be de-centered. I'd suggest testing it after you buy it to see if the problem is there and if its degree bothers you.

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks Sean. Might be worth saving up for the Zeiss for me then. Don't want any hassle and I had a lot of problems with decentration on two Pentax lenses, DA 14 and 21..

The ZM 25mm is a beautiful lens which I thoroughly enjoyed on my M7. A real natural for close in event work.

I sold it reluctantly after I moved to the M8. Too many bothersome issues in getting it properly coded and converted so that it called up the "proper" (24mm) viewfinder frame in the M8.

All in all, a first class optic.

-g

Agree completely. I have the 24 Elmarit (after selling the ZM25) and with the 24 Lux coming out, it might be worth the wait to compare the ZM25 and the 24 Lux.

I had the 25 mm 2,8, but back then the 21 mm 4,5 was not available. Hum. this depends on what you prefer and what you can afford. The fastest costs € 200 more. Still I think I would have gone for the cheapest and the one with the least distortion; the 21 mm 4,5.

Thanks Olsen. Your thought is exactly right to my mind.

kitty

Thanks Olsen. Your thought is exactly right to my mind.

kitty

Comparing the MTF charts I get more and more convinced the the 21 mm 4,5 will create images with the closest result to the legendarly 'Carl Zeiss Biogon' on a M8. I have it in MF version; the Carl Zeiss Biogon 38 mm 4,5 Hasselblad SWC. It is one of the best cameras I have (I have a few). Distortion is practically 'nill'. It is amazingly sharp and with very high contrast. This Biogon design dates back to the 30' when Luftwaffe needed sharp and distortion free optics for air reconnaissance. I would have gone for the 21 mm 4,5. It's both better and cheaper.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean

what exactly is a de-centering problem ? I found that I had focus problem on most of my ZM25 shots; Is that "de-centering" & can that (de-centering) be fixed by a technician ? Thanks.