They are unbelievable

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have sent my M8 to Germany for R/F close distance adjustment on 5/9/2008.

I rang repair centre today and It was completed. They read me the report and it was Huge repair.

They have adjusted + cleaned R/F, And they have replaced CCD + Main Circuit board + Outer leatherette.

I have asked them to check the dead pixel. They could have done pixel mapping through computer.

I do`nt know why they have to replace them!!!?!?!?

OR because

They know that all of M8`s CCD and board are defective so they will replace every M8 they receive??? They might have put M8.2 CCD and board on to mine????

But I hope I do`nt loose 1/8000 shutter. I do`nt want S mode either!!!

I also do`nt want ver 2.0 FW, too!!!!!!!!!!! But It does not matter now because board is new so my count is lost anyway..............

They are unbelievable!!!!! Any similar experience?:eek:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rang repair centre today and It was completed. They read me the report and it was Huge repair.

They have adjusted + cleaned R/F, And they have replaced CCD + Main Circuit board + Outer leatherette.

I have asked them to check the dead pixel. They could have done pixel mapping through computer.

OR because

They know that all of M8`s CCD and board are defective so they will replace every M8 they receive??? They might have put M8.2 CCD and board on to mine????

I also do`nt want ver 2.0 FW, too!!!!!!!!!!! But It does not matter now because board is new so my count is lost anyway..............

Are you saying they did an unauthorized repair? You sent it for just a rangefinder calibration and Leica replaced the sensor without asking? Unbelievable. I would say the did it for free then...........

Are you saying they did an unauthorized repair? You sent it for just a rangefinder calibration and Leica replaced the sensor without asking? Unbelievable. I would say the did it for free then...........

Basically Yes! But It is still under warranty. But still I do`nt want them to touch anything unnecessary! You know the old saying " do`nt touch if there is nothing wrong with it" something like that.

Are they gone mad or what or they made mistake? swapping repair docket with other bad camera? Or does that camera even belong to me?

Or They have simply replaced camera to another one?????

Well my M8 went to Jersey because my glass on my back fell off. The camera came back I took it to New Orleans and I had several intermittent lines of bad pixels in low light. They did not catch it. I have more photoshop work to do then I know and my camera is back to jersey. David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OR because

Well, this confirms my theory that Leica is aware of sensor and other components problems and they replace them "cas pas cas" while upgrading and repairing cameras without a factory recall, which will be desastrous for them. (See "Oh Darn a line" thread):

I also believe Leica is aware of this problem but as it doesn't occurs with every body, they prefer to treat it "cas par cas" to avoid panic, bad publicity and LOTS of money.

Finally, I have decided to send my both M8s to Solms (they have arrived this morning) for upgrading sapphire glass and frame lines (I'm not insterested in the shutter upgrade). At the same time, they will replace the vulcanite on both bodies which it got damaged with the Leica leather half case (14869) and, on the oldest one, Leica will inspect the wheel (stiffness counter-clockwise), replace the top plate and engrave my signature on it.

They have told me they will inspect and check the whole camera. I think this "Upgrade Program" will help Leica to replace parts and correct problems in a "discrete" way. I think also this is the reason of the exorbitant prices of the "Upgrade Program"

ArtZ

Leica is also replacing both the vulcanite and the Leica leather half case protector (14869) in my two cameras because the Leica protector damages the vulcanite.

Cheers

I dont understsand why people show a reluctance to D/L the new firmware?

Someone care to explain?

I am one of the reluctant... after all, WB was the only issue I noticed with my first firmware... it was fixed before the last update... and haven't seen evidence of significant improvement on other areas with the last... maybe I'm simply lazy, but wait.

I agree that you've had good service and you conspiracy theory is nonsense. Not every action by Leica's service department is intended to be a cover up for some looming disaster. I do actually think they do a good job. It's the marketing people who get up my nose.

Luigi, just get the thing... The auto ISO will certainly help a lot. I can only see just one negative with all this, and this is the chance of something going wrong while upgrading, but in the end its just a camera...

And yes Caparobertsan you jut need to go watch "conspiracy theories" with Julia Roberts and Mel Gibson

I am one of the reluctant... after all, WB was the only issue I noticed with my first firmware... it was fixed before the last update... and haven't seen evidence of significant improvement on other areas with the last... maybe I'm simply lazy, but wait.

It seems to be formatting cards much faster with the latest FW. I recall I used to see a progress bar and now it's almost instantaneous.