Shutter noise/quietness

chris_livsey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is this delayed shutter cocking? And why would I want it?

In a quiet space you can choose to actuate the shutter and delay the re-cocking so that you can muffle this sound under a jacket or whatever ... in fact simply separating the two sounds by a second or two has an enormous impact on the noticeability of the camera in quiet situations.

No one has actually stated whether the 'whirr' sound, that follows the shutter sound, has become quieter. Could someone please say whether this elongated, annoying sound is less noticeable now?

It's quieter. I feel that the main benefit still comes from being able to separate them, but will report back when my upgraded M8 gets back next week.

I also hate to admit it, but the delayed recocking seems to be a real improvement. I had originally thought it was silly, but it does make a difference and I can see how it would be useful. Even if you recock fairly soon after shooting, it seems to split up the noise of the shutter and wind and make the whole thing quieter.

Noah - got it in one.

Best

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just occured to me.

Original idea about the delayed shutter (how to do, not technical part) came from this forum if I remembered correctly. We should've patented it. Maybe, it would've funded the M8.2 :)

Just random bits to the thread, sorry.

-T

That's right. Perhaps "Ehrfahrener Benutzer" or long-term readers of this forum could qualify for special firmware to enable the extra recocking delays on an upgraded M8.1.

scott

Just occured to me.

Original idea about the delayed shutter (how to do, not technical part) came from this forum if I remembered correctly. We should've patented it. Maybe, it would've funded the M8.2 :)

-T

Perhaps we should be grateful to Canon for not patenting it ? Didn't they implement it first in the 1 series ?

After having shot a few pictures with my updated quiet shutter and release 2.000, all done at Solms, I used my card reader to download the pictures.

How surprised I was to see that 1.102.UPD was still on the root of my my SD card, that was there already before going to Solms.

Leica did not erase this File, but even more interestingly, my camera took no notice of this update file.

Release 2.000 obviously checks which update file is offered, and if it is a lower release, it does not take notice.

Hans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A further thought - not only is the M8.2 shutter (and the upgrade!) quiet, it causes less vibration. Again - a quick test this morning (I really do have to get back to doing some work!!;) ) 3 shots (all fully open) with

1. 75 cron asph

2. 135 apo telyt

3. very old pre-asph 90 cron - all ISO 160 .

I only gave myself one shot on each occasion, focusing on the green digits on the microwave clock - all hand held at around 3 metres from subject. I am VERY pleasantly surprised. The focus on all three is spot on, apart from some movement showing on the 90 shot - I was amazed how well the 135 held it at 1/125th. Next time I might make try lens dependent Auto ISO...

BTW - the Canadian 90 cron has a screwhead in the mount that makes the sensor think that it's coded - I get the exif without the expense! Sometimes you get lucky...

So - there's not only an advantage to the new shutter from a noise perspective - IMO it improves hand-held shots with long lenses... :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Chris, perhaps you can answer my question about whether the new framelines are improved by being less incomplete rectangles, i.e. not having as many breaks in the lines? I don't expect there is an improvement here because of the necessity of two frames being in view at a time, but it would be a nice little bonus after the upgrade.

By the way, nice microwave. Do Olympus make one?:)

Jeffrey.

Just occured to me.

Just random bits to the thread, sorry.

-T

The idea was raised here but it's a variation on the "quiet mode" option one sees, for example, on the Canon 1 series DSLRs. Although, in the case of the Canons it is the mirror return that is delayed rather than the shutter cocking. Still, there's no doubt that this forum has been a great resource for Leica.

Cheers,

Sensitive thighs you got there, Sean. Will it be the standard test bench for other cameras? :)

Perhaps... Since I lack a small scale seismometer, I have to make due. But seriously, if you set one camera on your left thigh and one on your right, you may find that can feel the difference in shutter shake between the two. The body is pretty sensitive to vibration.

Cheers,

Sean

Perhaps... Since I lack a small scale seismometer, I have to make due. But seriously, if you set one camera on your left thigh and one on your right, you may find that can feel the difference in shutter shake between the two. The body is pretty sensitive to vibration.

Cheers,

Sean

Ok did you have pants on or off?

Nevermind, I don't want to know.

Good day.

I think the big difference between the old and new shutter is the initial unlocking sound, a Clunk, and then when the shutter lock re-engages, another Clunk, and because the new shutter runs at a slower top speed, 4000 instead of 8000, the blades of the shutter move slower, that is why the top flash sync speed is lower, down from 250 to 180, with the new shutter. Slower shutter blade movement = less vibration and less noise. The initial and ending Clunks have also been lowered somehow and more then likely the whirr has been muffled.

This is just speculation as I have not even held a M8.2.

The regular M8 sounded like an automatic stapler to my ears. The upgraded shutter sounded quieter as the old "clunk" had been softened. The winding sound seemed the same between the two. Regardless, the difference was compelling enough to my ears that the camera is now getting the upgrade.

Microwave - cheapest small one from John Lewis's! (apologies to non-UK forum members...:) )

Framelines - same broken framelines - the instruction manual you can download at Leica Camera AG - Photography - M8 & M8.2 gives a good representation of these.

Best

A microwave with a curry setting is something we ex-pats can only dream about in Canada! (But if that curry setting was labelled 'S' - or even 'C' - we would have to look down on it, as true microwavers practice until the microwave is just an extension of their hand and eye.....;))

Chris

Really - I was just joking....

The idea was raised here but it's a variation on the "quiet mode" option one sees, for example, on the Canon 1 series DSLRs. Although, in the case of the Canons it is the mirror return that is delayed rather than the shutter cocking. Still, there's no doubt that this forum has been a great resource for Leica.

Cheers,

Did not know Canon had done variation of the work.