Shutter noise/quietness

chris_livsey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that I think about it Leica ws handing you a bag of shit when they said the top plate wasn't the same, IE incompatible. Look at Mark Norton's thread where he took the camera apart. The top plate doesn't have any special milling. It's just a hollow shell. Sure the mounting points for the switch could be different but then if you get the top plate changed then you could get the new switch.

I'm not an engineer so I can't judge the quality of the info...just sharing info I received.

andy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that I think about it Leica ws handing you a bag of shit when they said the top plate wasn't the same

The top plate is different on a black camera. The finish is different is it not? One is black chrome, the other is black paint. Perhaps when they said that the top was incompatible they were referring to cosmetic incompatability. Just a thought.

I guess I'm just full of piss and vinegar this morning. Working on my second cup of coffee.

perhaps you should try another type of coffee, so the first cup helps a bit more... :D

In the best traditions of internet speculation, perhaps the improved on/off switch detent means a top plate change? It would help explain why it is not 'upgradable'.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You guys may or may not like this comment. As a non-M8 owner I can tell you they hit a home run with the M8.2. For various reasons I haven't gotten the M8 (yet). I use multiple dslrs for my work and M6s for my personal work. I finally tried the M8 for two weeks in August and had a ball shooting with it. But, BUT there were niggling issues like the shutter and the lack of SDHC support. The lack of SDHC was easy to handle but the shutter noise was bothersome. So, I determined to wait for Photokina and see what developed (so to speak). The M8.2 fills the bill and I have one ordered (in USA) and am simply driving myself crazy waiting for it.

As for this discussion, I do NOT understand why the dealer is not getting a piece of the upgrade money. When you do your upgrade you indicate your dealer. That's a win-win. The lack of being able to upgrade to full M8.2 specs is slightly bothersome for a new owner since it indicates that even though I (will) have the 8.2 I probably won't be able to upgrade to fully whatever the *next* upgrade is. So, it's not exactly a confidence builder for a new buyer.

Anyway, carry-on. I enjoy following the lively discussions. John Fulton, Fort Worth, Texas.

The on-off switch on my updated M8 feels exactly as before, also the release switch feels the same, somewhat "unsmooth".

So the update certainly does not replace these parts.

The new switch mechanism might be different, but if this forced the top plate to be altered, the new switch must be really totally different to motivate the design of a new top plate.

We as forum users should share the costs to buy a M8.2, and give it to Mark to take it apart and clarify all the open issues.

Hans

I'll make do with what lenses I have. I already have my 35 lux-asph six bit coded. My 21mm Elmarit has been sent for six bit coding. Next will be the Noctilux. My 28mm Elmarit is too old for six bit coding so I may use a sharpie on that. The 35mm was fine on the M8 so I'll rely on that since I'm pretty much a one camera one lens kinda guy (for my personal work - the Leica is always with me). I do need the fiilters altho I'll be shooting raw with B&W in mind.

Guest DuquesneG
steve

they actually said that there are differences around the shutter housing....cosmetics were not the issue.

Again it may have been a fob off but this was the reasoning used.

andy

If Dr. Kaufmann handed me the keys to the executive washroom right now, my first order of business would not be to revamp any product (no, not even the framelines :D ) it would be to purge the marketing/PR department. From the get-go, that department has done nothing but spew disinformation which makes Leica's technical designers look like they are incompetent (which they are not!), and gives the impression that Leica as an entity considers their customer base as uninformed and gullible (which we are not!). It was thus with the IR-filter scandal, some of the more prevalent bugs, and now the upgrade program. The people in telephone and/or e-mail contact with customers appear to say whatever pops into their heads to placate, oblivious to the fact that Leica customers talk to each other on-line, and with few exceptions we are a lot of very intelligent, informed guys who weren't born yesterday. I do hope that Mark eventually takes an M8.2 apart, at least far enough to settle the issue of if there is anything that truly precludes updating an M8 with the discreet shutter release functionality.

I don't want to lose sight of the fact that Nikon and Canon come out with cameras that vary only slightly from their predecessor, and those companies don't offer upgrades at all. Given the accepted paradigm in digital cameradom, I doubt if any of us would have uttered a peep if Leica had come out with the M8.2 and offered no upgrade on the M8, after two years. That is, if their marketing department had not come up with the upgrade idea and then slathered on the hyperbole about how it was going to be future-proof. But they can't unring that bell, and it's hurting their image that they seem to be trying to do just that.

Bests,

Gordon

.... marketing department.... hurting their image...

Well I agree with the above, though we all have far more important issues to get lathered over. But I do find an interesting disconnect between many of 'our' views of Leica Marketing [and some even less forgiving commentators], and presumably the in-house view of their activities which has led to seemingly no improvement in their operation.

No doubt in extremely bad taste I made a feeble joke here nearly two years ago when lots of IR brown stuff was hitting the fan; 'that if you stick your head out the window you might just hear the sound of the Marketing and Design depts. being culled'. Actually, Leica doesn't do purges, maybe the staff are good loyal employees doing exactly what the boss wants them to do.

................. Chris

Guest DuquesneG
Actually, Leica doesn't do purges, maybe the staff are good loyal employees doing exactly what the boss wants them to do.

................. Chris

Well first, what I meant by purge was more like an enema than a mass firing. Make the marketing department a no-BS zone. Re-educate them to a new paradigm...put up inspirational signs like "Leica Customers Are Capable of Critical Thinking" "This Is a Camera Company Not a Cult". Inform them that men who have reached a station in life where they can afford to spend five-figures on camera gear for their hobby, are neither likely to be fools nor take kindly to being treated as such. Dr. Kaufmann was a Leica buff himself prior to acquiring the company, so I doubt that he disagrees. Reminds me of that CEO some years ago who did his own TV commercials for Remington electric razors...he used to say "I liked the product so much that I decided to buy the company."

Reminds me of that CEO some years ago who did his own TV commercials for Remington electric razors...he used to say "I liked the product so much that I decided to buy the company."

Victor Kiam. I assume the same ads ran in the States as in the UK. Though to be fair I think the idea that he could make some money also influenced his decision to buy <grin>.

i guess it's really all about keeping the dealers happy. the upgrade programm is not in the interest of the dealers. The new horse for the dealers is the M8.2 -

i am shure that in 6 month time leica will offer (via software upgrade) the 'delayed shutter cocking feature' as an option for the UPGRADERS.

This way they could collect again some money from the upgraders. This would not hurt new M8.2 sales because the Upgraders already investet a reasonable amount for the upgrade instead of buying an M8.2.

i didn't want to buy the M8.2 but after i heard the new shutter sound live i changed my mind and bought one the next minute. The new shutter is such quit - i love it.

for me it was a real simple question:

5.000 Euro new M8.2

-2.500 Euro for my used M8 (2 years old).

= additonal investment of 2.500 Euro instead of 1.320 Euro for the Upgrade.

(and maybe in 6 Month again 500 Euro for the software upgrade 'delayed shutter cocking')

means the new 2 year warranty is about 1.180Euro (680Euro)......

so i decided to go for an M8.2

Trust me the new shutter is a sensation!!!!

cheers

andreas

As for this discussion, I do NOT understand why the dealer is not getting a piece of the upgrade money. When you do your upgrade you indicate your dealer. That's a win-win. The lack of being able to upgrade to full M8.2 specs is slightly bothersome for a new owner since it indicates that even though I (will) have the 8.2 I probably won't be able to upgrade to fully whatever the *next* upgrade is. So, it's not exactly a confidence builder for a new buyer.

Anyway, carry-on. I enjoy following the lively discussions. John Fulton, Fort Worth, Texas.

Agree completely. The big fuss in Germany between Leica and their dealers was allegedly over dealers being cut out of the original upgrade offer. Some parties even stated that the departure of S. Lee was due to this problem.

If I could upgrade to an M8.2 from one of my M8's at a lesser cost than selling the M8 and buying a new M8.2, I would upgrade. Many others would probably do the same. As it is, I am hesitating and might even end up with no upgrade and no new M8.2

The only drawback might be less sales of the new M8.2, as has been repeatedly noted on the forum.

Teddy

i didn't want to buy the M8.2 but after i heard the new shutter sound live i changed my mind and bought one the next minute. The new shutter is such quit - i love it.

= additonal investment of 2.500 Euro instead of 1.320 Euro for the Upgrade.

I dont follow your calculation, the shutter upgrade is 800 Euro...