chris_livsey

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest DuquesneG

The "rancour" might have something to do with Leica not granting M8-upgraders access to the delayed shutter recocking feature, although they charge $1500 and put in the same shutter as the M8.2 uses. Some people--and I'm not alone here--feel that the decision to do that as a means to differentiate the models and ostensibly encourage more sales of M8.2s, is an example of Leica's marketing department promoting their own agenda a little too aggressively...and transparently. After all, isn't it enough that we M8 upgraders are denied the coveted Snapshot Mode...at least, instantly via an "S" on the dial? :rolleyes:

Bests,

Gordon

The M8.2 is out there, the upgraded M8 is out there. Has anyone fired these two alongside each other and can compare ?

Obviously this is upgrade related.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I wrote about this in my article about the M8.2. I just now received a production copy of the M8.2 and the shutter is certainly as quiet as the one in the preproduction camera I tested earlier this year. Also, the delayed shutter cocking feature is excellent. I like it more than I thought I would.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest DuquesneG
Hi Chris,

Yes, I wrote about this in my article about the M8.2. I just now received a production copy of the M8.2 and the shutter is certainly as quiet as the one in the preproduction camera I tested earlier this year. Also, the delayed shutter cocking feature is excellent. I like it more than I thought I would.

Cheers,

Sean

Stop rubbing it in :mad::D

I wish I had taken some screen shots of the upgrade to infinity nonsense, the future proofing of the M8 which they were putting about earlier this year and ask Dr Kaufmann what happened to that. That might wipe the silly grin off his face.

I think this upgrade is a one-off, and the thought that any future development will be constrained by the need to be able to retrofit it into the M8 is incorrect.

Sorry, but we've been conned, had.

I wish I had taken some screen shots of the upgrade to infinity nonsense, the future proofing of the M8 which they were putting about earlier this year and ask Dr Kaufmann what happened to that. That might wipe the silly grin off his face.

I think this upgrade is a one-off, and the thought that any future development will be constrained by the need to be able to retrofit it into the M8 is incorrect.

Sorry, but we've been conned, had.

You know Mark I'm startinig to feel the same way. Not like I'm doing any of the uipgrades or thinking of buying a M8.2, the economy has me by the Balls, but it would be nice if I could take the camera I now have and bring it up to FULL M8.2 specs if I so wished. IT IS THE SAME CAMERA in all respects, they haven't change the position of one thing inside or outside of the camera.

You know Mark I'm startinig to feel the same way. Not like I'm doing any of the uipgrades or thinking of buying a M8.2, the economy has me by the Balls, but it would be nice if I could take the camera I now have and bring it up to FULL M8.2 specs if I so wished. IT IS THE SAME CAMERA in all respects, they haven't change the position of one thing inside or outside of the camera.

Have to agree. I was talking to Len in RG Lewis and apparently he and other premier dealers in the UK and elsewhere (eg France) have written to Mssrs Daniel and Kaufmann saying the same thing. Their line is that customers who have stuck with Leica because of the lens investment we have made and because we like RF are being poorly treated through the upgrade strategy (both the cost of the upgrade and the denial of key functionality).

I really feel this - in the end getting the 8.2 has been the only immediate solution I could come up with - "Discreet" advance is how it should ALWAYS have been. In retrospect it's inexcusable that it wasn't designed that way from the beginning. IMHO the 8.2 is what the M8 should have been two years ago. I can live with the 1.3 crop. I couldn't live with the old shutter if I was going to keep on using the M8 as a serious tool. Anyone who's followed this list will know I've been banging on about the problem ever since I got my first M8 in January 2007. It's good to feel exonerated in terms of the design I was asking for being implemented. It doesn't feel so good to have to sell a perfectly functioning 6 month old camera and and then throw in a chunk of money to get this basic functionality. Rock and a hard place - I'm lucky that my photography pays enough to cover the new investment - but I still feel that this shouldn't be how things are...

Leica dealers must have had real problems with the upgrade concept. Nothing in it for them. Perhaps not offering the delayed shutter release as an upgrade was after consultation with the dealers. What we have is a compromise, you can get most of the improvements using the upgrade programme but have to buy a new M8.2 from a dealer to get the full works.

Jeff

To be honest I never believed for a minute that the original M8 would have a "lifetime upgrade path".

Just does not make sense in the digital world.Product development could never progress if constantly hampered by the constraints of a 1st model.

I think its fair to say that the M8.2 is the camera that many hoped the M8 would be.

Fact is that now Leica face a tough call, give the M8 users full finctionality as an upgrade with all the M8.2 features or maintain the differences.

Giving full functionality will impact M8.2 sales and upset the dealer network as well as put a huge load on the customer service to perfrom the upgrade.

Differentiating functionality between the models will piss off the M8 user base.

Not an easy call IMO.

What is a fair bet IMO is that the M8/M8.2 has reached the end of the line in terms of upgradability and should a FF RF come out then it will not be based on the current model, which I think is a good thing.

Tough days at Leica I think and some strategic decisions that need to be taken and communicated clearly to the user base.

just my thoughts

andy

I am led to believe that the top plate of the M8.2 is different and that the M8 cannot be fitted with the M8.2 top plate.

I have no idea why but just as an information.

andy

Ahh - that might explain things... BUT if this is the case why on earth don't Leica come out and say so and eleminate the spleen that's building up here and elsewhere. If the M8 upgrade is the best that can be done for technical reasons - so be it. THAT I can live with!

Ahh - that might explain things... BUT if this is the case why on earth don't Leica come out and say so and eleminate the spleen that's building up here and elsewhere. If the M8 upgrade is the best that can be done for technical reasons - so be it. THAT I can live with!

Chris..our posts crossed.

I have this info from Leica directly as I was looking to have my top plate replaced after my "camera fall" some weeks back.

So I asked if I upgrade can I also have the black top plate...the answer was that they are not compatible.

thats where the info comes from

regards

Andy

Andy - thanks. IF it's the case that the top of the M8 and the shutter button have been re-designed and this is the reason why the 8.1 can't be brought up to full 8.2 spec then it's no longer a problem for me - and it's also great from my point of view as I've made the right decision - Once my 8.1 is repaired and upgraded I'll have two cameras with the same framelines + quiet shutters - one of which gives me the additional functionality of discreet + EV adjust (which I actually like). It also means that Leica have done us all a great service by making the upgrade available to those who want / need it, and hasn't been ripping us off by denying us things we want.

And if this is the case, why oh why haven't they been up front about it!

I am led to believe that the top plate of the M8.2 is different and that the M8 cannot be fitted with the M8.2 top plate.

I have no idea why but just as an information.

andy

Hi Andy

The top plate of the black version is certainly different in being painted instead of black chromed, so this could never become a 8.2.

Exchanging this part for a painted one would make an update so expensive that the decision was made to go for an 8.2, just a guess.

As a matter of fact, I have no Idea which of both techniques is more wear resistant.

Could it be that the painted version can loose small chips of its paint on the edge when being hurted?

In that case I prefer my chromed version, I do not need snapshot or a saphir glass either.

My shutter has been updated to the new one, and it sounds like an M8 shutter being submerged in a bath of oil, smooth and without high frequency tones.

So I have no intention to go for a M8.2, I'm perfectly happy.

Hans

Chris

agreed, if there is a realtionship between compatible top plate and giving full M8.2 functionality in the upgrade then it would be great if Leica would state it up front..am sure most users could understand it, and whilst maybe not happy, at least there would be clarity.

regards

andy

Actually there is nothing stopping them from changing out the switch and top plate to make a M8C be a M8.2.

Again this is a marketing decision. The case is the same, or so I think, all the same,or updated, components fit in the same places (otherwise they couldn't put in the new shutter and screen), the rangefinder is the same, again it would be much more expensive to change the framelines on M8C's if the RF was different.

Now that I think about it Leica ws handing you a bag of shit when they said the top plate wasn't the same, IE incompatible. Look at Mark Norton's thread where he took the camera apart. The top plate doesn't have any special milling. It's just a hollow shell. Sure the mounting points for the switch could be different but then if you get the top plate changed then you could get the new switch.