Visoflex users stand up !

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris,

Which 280 do you have, and how do you like it? I just bought one yesterday on ebay never used in box for $230 US dollars and cannot wait to use it.

The second version - probably not as good as the third, but good enough for me. I have a pair of bald eagles that nest about 500m away from my back deck across an estuary. I have been trying to photograph them, but even with the 280 it means blowing up a centre crop, and the quality is poor. Next season I'll try the 400 (530 on an M8) and if that doesn't do it, I'll look for a 560 Telyt.

Now if only I could find aTriElmar 135 objective and the right adaptor to go with the bellows 2 I'll have a full Visoflex system!

Chris

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

|visoflex3|bellows2|tubes|135te|

1014035-browndragonfly2-v135te-tubes-cs3.jpg

For close-up&macro outdoors you need a bit of patience and luck.

Especially windy conditions and working with small apertures to generate adequate DOF are a PITA. But otherwise I find the VISO-experience very rewarding.

Unbelievible and amazing shot, congratulations!

Regards,

Keith

• 3 months later...

I know very little about the Visoflexes, and from what I gathered so far I should be focusing on the Viso III for use with M8. Looking at Ebay, I see variations of this Viso III, e.g., Visoflex III mit lupe (16498), and Visoflex III body (16497D) + prism (16499P). Could someone please help clarify which one will work on M8? Also, I would appreciate any guide as to what lenses are available/compatible with the appropriate Visoflex+M8 combo.

Many thanks,

All product numbers you name work on the M8:

16497 is the body without prism; 16499 is the vertical prism alone; 16498 are both together. You certainly need both; you could also use the horizontal magnifier 16461, which is helpful if you are using the combination on ground level.

There are many threads in this forum about the Visoflex:

Here you find a pdf (visoflex3tab)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-zur-leica-m8/47414-grunds-tzliches-b-er-visoflex-m8.html#post500305

which shows all the lenses which were made to use with it, and which adapters you need (there is an awfuld variety of adapters, almost different ones for each lens...)

And here you may find something about using lenses which were not made for the viso (and some great examples of what you can achieve with it):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/19075-having-fun-visoflex-m8.html#post201566

Probably the R macro lenses are better... but lot of people, me included, like a lot to use the Tele Elmar 135 f4 - NOT the latest version, that hasn't more removable lenshead, as the Telyt 135 f 3,4.

Can one also use the latest APO Telyt? And if yes, what would one need?

Thanks.

Can one also use the latest APO Telyt? And if yes, what would one need?

Thanks.

Yes, you can. Two examples (rather quick and dirty):

Apo-Telyt on Visoflex III no adapter, f1:3.4; ca. 55 cm:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Apo-Telyt on VisoFlex III with Adapter 16469, F 1:3.4; ca. 45 cm:

Though you can only focus in a very shallow area of a few mm. The lens head of the old Tele-Elmar together with OTZVO and adapter 16471 is much better to use.

Or you could use the Apo-Telyt with Adapter 16596 on Bellows II (f 1:3.4; ca. 30 cm):

(The dust is on my screen:eek:)

I know very little about the Visoflexes, and from what I gathered so far I should be focusing on the Viso III for use with M8. Looking at Ebay, I see variations of this Viso III, e.g., Visoflex III mit lupe (16498), and Visoflex III body (16497D) + prism (16499P). Could someone please help clarify which one will work on M8? Also, I would appreciate any guide as to what lenses are available/compatible with the appropriate Visoflex+M8 combo.

Many thanks,

Visoflexes are complicated.

Simply put, shop for a Visoflex 3 with an eye level finder, which will be fine on your M8. A 16464 focus mount should be your next buy. Then you could put 65,90 or 135 heads on the 16464.... also lots of other stuff too. Read this thread carefully, as there is a lot of information, regarding prices etc.

Most modern (current) Leica lenses are not good for the Visoflex, because the front lens group does not screw out.

again, research.

here is a biased ... but good (somewhat) .... link

Leica M Visoflex System

also good

Visoflex II

relaxed research is the only way to learn about Visoflexes (IMHO)

good luck

rafael

Fantastic.

|visoflex3|bellows2|tubes|135te|

1014035-browndragonfly2-v135te-tubes-cs3.jpg

For close-up&macro outdoors you need a bit of patience and luck.

Especially windy conditions and working with small apertures to generate adequate DOF are a PITA. But otherwise I find the VISO-experience very rewarding.

Superb Knop :)

How is it possible to put a R lens on Visoflex ????

Nag,

Hello Nag, using an R to M mount adapter (fi Novoflex LEM/LER or Leica/Leitz 22228), but doing so the Visoflex reduces the focus working distance drastically [~13 to ~28 cm max].

G1010238-M8VISO3AMER-cs4.jpg

Kind regards.

Edited by Knorp
typo

Hello Nag, using an R to M mount adapter (fi Novoflex LEM/LER or Leica/Leitz 22228), but doing so the Visoflex reduces the focus working distance drastically [~13 to ~28 cm max].

G1010238-M8VISO3AMER-cs4.jpg

Kind regards.

Many thanks,

do you think it s better to use this lens instead of standard visoflex lens like tele elmar 135 or 65 elmar ? What is your bench ?

Regards,

Nag,

Many thanks,

do you think it s better to use this lens instead of standard visoflex lens like tele elmar 135 or 65 elmar ? What is your bench ?

Regards,

Nag,

Hi Nag,

well that's difficult to tell as I have the Macro-R not that long. My first observation is that it has better resolution and (micro) contrast over the 135te, but that's only subjective as I didn't make a head-to-head comparison yet. And there is no real use for the bellows which I find for the moment a pro.

Kind regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a s/h VisoflexIII for £125 in December and modified it for the M8 by drawing a 27 x 18mm rectangle in the centre of a 24 x 36mm thin sheet of acetate. This fits on top of the ground glass and unlike genuine SLR's gives a viewfinder which allows one to see what's going on outside the frame. Have used it frequently with the 280mm f/4.8 Telyt with good results on small, overwintering ducks in the Regional Park 500m from home. Difficult to handhold even when steadying the M8/Visoflex combination against a small tree at 1/1000sec. Although shorter, by far the best lens to use with the M8 in this way is the 180mm f/2.8 TeleElmarit but not everyone has the luck to find a camera shop that thinks they sell for the same price as an old Leicaflex equivalent!

IMHO I like to think Leica discontinued the Visoflex because it was harming sales of the Leicaflex. I once said the word Visoflex aloud on a factory tour of Solms which received a very frosty reception! I join the calls for the Visoflex to be reintroduced perhaps with some mechanically simplified ex-Leicaflex tele and macro lenses to fit.

• 4 months later...

I don't yet have an M8 (didn't get my TARP funds yet); but recently bought a Kodak SLR/n. Was determined to get some of my M lenses to work in the digital world in the meantime so just bought an adaptor from Fotodiox. Will post pix with the bellows and resultant photos soon. Thought this might be of interest.

Hailu Shack | Equipment Errata