Visoflex users stand up !

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I'm toying with the idea of buying either a Visoflex III or a Bellows ( do the mk I works on M8 ? I've seen examples only with the II ) for my M8 and attach some lens to do some macro work.

I know that a SLR would do it better but I really dont want two systems - I rather have an M8 rigged than going out and buying a dSLR and a macro lens, although I know it would be better.

Can people with Visoflex's and Bellow's post some examples and some tips on the system ? I'm toying with the idea of getting a Visoflex III and a LTM to R adaptor and slap a R Macro lens on it.

Cheers

ps ; pictures ! post pictures ! :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the Visoflex III is the easiest to use on the M8; I have both a III and a II, but the standard prism for the II won't clear the M8's extra height. Indeed an SLR makes a lot more sense, but the the Viso is a lot more fun and nostalgic. Warning: getting all the components is rapidly addicting. I was able to find everything on eBay in good condition and even some never used pieces. I keep a Viso III with a 6.5cm Elmar attached in my camera bag at all times.

They even have the old user manuals on eBay in like new condition.

Happy Hunting!

This shot was done with bellows and the lens-head from the 13.5cm tele-Elmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Probably the R macro lenses are better... but lot of people, me included, like a lot to use the Tele Elmar 135 f4 - NOT the latest version, that hasn't more removable lenshead, as the Telyt 135 f 3,4. The accessories to use its lenshead aren't difficult to find : helicoid focusing mount - 16495 - and one or more extension tubes - 16471/16472: with them you avoid bellows II, that is a fine item, but a bit more complex in use; and, of course, you gain also a good 135 as a tele lens for M8... :) . Visoflex III is the best choice, and for macro on tripod the vertical "chimney" finder - 16461 - is very useful.

A pair of pics taken with the above equipment... ;)

Personally I prefer the 135 f/4 Elmar.

Pete.

I have the Viso111 and an old bellows setup using an Elmar 65mm.

I just love it. Des

As an aged collector I own all the models of Visoflex including the different PLOOT.

for this picture I used a Viso III with removable screen and with the largest chimney eyepiece + lens head from Summicron 2/90 on bellow II.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can you give a bit more information on this subject

I have Tele/Elmar 135/4 if i could use it as macro it would be great

Eugene

Probably the R macro lenses are better... but lot of people, me included, like a lot to use the Tele Elmar 135 f4 - NOT the latest version, that hasn't more removable lenshead, as the Telyt 135 f 3,4. The accessories to use its lenshead aren't difficult to find : helicoid focusing mount - 16495 - and one or more extension tubes - 16471/16472: with them you avoid bellows II, that is a fine item, but a bit more complex in use; and, of course, you gain also a good 135 as a tele lens for M8... :) . Visoflex III is the best choice, and for macro on tripod the vertical "chimney" finder - 16461 - is very useful.

A pair of pics taken with the above equipment... ;)

Hi, Just unscrew the front lens head and screw it into a 16464, then into your soon to be owned by you, Visoflex III. Voila! macro to Infinity. More with bellows or tubes.

I use my Viso for tele work.Here is a tele shot with a 400 6.8 Telyt tripod.

The Viso is somewhat awkward to use, but if used correctly, it's great. I have sent mine off to Brightscreen to install a bright groundglass, with etched markings for the M8

Rafael

I have Tele/Elmar 135/4 if i could use it as macro it would be great. the lens has a great reputation.

Eugene

Wow.

Nice batch of answers which made me ask few more questions

I've seen this Visoflex III on sale :

1.jpg

should work right ?

I'm a bit concerned because of the viewfinder, specially in this picture :

2.jpg

I'm afraid that the viewfinder will "knock" on the M8, is the M8 would be taller ? This viso is adverstised as a Visoflex III so should be allright, no ? Visoflex II usually have this problems.

And for the bellows people, seen this set for sale :

_MG_7827.JPG

which is a Bellow I. Will it work on the M8 ? with that prism ?

And sorry for the ignorance , which adaptor do I need to put on the end of the bellows, ie , the idea of the bellows is to act as extension tubes for a lens, right ? so what is missing here :

_MG_7830.JPG

Thanks for all in advance.

And for last ( but surely not least ) , can this be used directly onto the M8 ? :

_MG_7829.JPG

Because the attachment to the camera seems to be a screwmount, so with a screwmount to M adaptor, the whole thing will work right ?

So with this bellows, if I take the bellows out and slap a lens on front of it, what is the difference between this and a Visoflex III ?

And another ( ... ) question :

This bellows and what happers to be a Visoflex I :

L1130514.jpg

Comes with all adaptors and a 200 Telyt.. .what do I need in this setup to put it up & running on a M8 ? apart from the obvious LTM to M adaptor to fit it on the M8 ?

And also, got me wondering : the M8 can't know the aperture of what is connected to the bellows, so the exposure can not be ever in automatic mode , right ? has to be manual , hit & miss a bit , correct ?

Visoflex III will fit the M8 without any problem. I believe that the Bellows 2 (not the one you're showing) has to be used with the Visoflex III. The reason that there has been a resurgence of the Visoflex is precisely that the Aperture Priority exposure will work. On most macro work, I think that most of us shoot with the mirror in the locked-up position to reduce vibration and this allows very accurate metering in-camera. Manual Mode with a light meter works well also.

When you are shopping for a Visoflex for the M8 the

Viso III would get my vote. Examine, or ask if the prism when looked through ......... on it's own .... has fog of milkyness ..... this really can't be cleaned. Pitting on the mirror is also to be avoided. Make sure you have the right to return the Viso. If you are not happy. Prices are going up right now because the Viso has a new "lease on life" with the M8. But buys are still to be had, because to sell a Viso today, the seller most likely has to find an M8 user.There are a lot of nice Viso's up for sale now.

Wow.

1.jpg

should work right ?

2.jpg

I'm afraid that the viewfinder will "knock" on the M8, is the M8 would be taller ? This viso is adverstised as a Visoflex III so should be allright, no ? Visoflex II usually have this problems.

Prices are going up right now because the Viso has a new "lease on life" with the M8. But buys are still to be had, because to sell a Viso today, the seller most likely has to find an M8 user.There are a lot of nice Viso's up for sale now.

You are so right! I have moved most of my 401K into Visoflex's! :eek:

I'm on my feet. I don't use an M8, but I do use a visoflex (II and III), and the very fine Bellows II. I also use it for long focus lenses, in particularly the relatively uncommon 125mm Hektor f2.5.

The visoflex is sometimes derided as old fashioned and clunky. In comparison to a mainstream modern DSLR, it is about the same size and weight. It continues to be technically viable, and in my view it is too bad that Leica dropped the line. I bet if they made 500 units of the III with a choice of screens, they could sell them easily. As they did a few years ago by making a run of LTM modern Summicron 50s and 35s.

The following shot was done last winter with the 125 Hektor. M2 Visoflex III, XP2

Cheers,

Wow.

1.jpg

should work right ?

2.jpg

This, as you say, it's a Visoflex III, good to fit M8 with the prism you see - it doesn't interfere with M8 body, and , thanks to the lever you see in the 2nd picture - low right - you haven't to remove the prism to mount it on the body. BUY !

I have Tele/Elmar 135/4 if i could use it as macro it would be great

Eugene

Here is the simplest way to use TE 135 as a macro lens (using the lenshead only) : the tube 16471 can be doubled if necessary, or substituted by the 16472 that is longer (nad, of course, you can also couple the 2 items)

couple of questions :

can the Bellows I ( the one I show in the pictures with the Visoflex I ) be used on a Visoflex III ?

Im toying the idea of getting the Visoflex II and a Bellows I !

Also, are the prism interchangable ? For example that nice prism that comes with the Visoflex I will fit in a VIsoflex III ??

You need to get a visoflex III and a Bellows 2 if you want seemless integration with the M8. The Viso II with its standard prism WILL NOT FIT the M8; you'll have to buy the chimney finder/prism to use with the Viso II. This is a nice finder because it's 5x but becoming harder to find and more expensive. IMHO Viso I adaptation to M8 is just too complicated.

Cheers,

Henry