M8.2 Lens recommendation

63strat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, how do I fit a IR filter in front of my 15mm CV?

You buy a lens hood from John Milich - if you do a search you should find his email address. This fits onto the front of the lens and allows a 39mm filter to be attached.

John also sells screw to M adaptors that have pits milled into them to accept a lens code. If you code the lens as a 16/18/21Tri-Elmar you can then select say 16mm as the focal length when the lens is mounted on an M8.

I know there have been issues with some examples of the 35mm Summilux, but I've not heard of similar problems with the Summicron.

Hi Steve,

When I'd gotten through my first two 35 luxes with the same problem, I had a long chat on the phone with an engineer at Leica and he told me that the same problem would exist but to a lesser extent with a 35 cron. I got one on trial from my dealer and found that he was exactly correct and that focus shift was less pronounced but that it still made the subject less than sharp at F2.8 and F4 though this does depend on the positioning of the subject in the frame and and the distance to subject as well as the aperture.

There's no reason that anyone should remember this over a year on from the epic period of enquiry but it is all detailed in the extraordinarily long original threads on the subject!

Best

T

You buy a lens hood from John Milich - if you do a search you should find his email address. This fits onto the front of the lens and allows a 39mm filter to be attached.

John also sells screw to M adaptors that have pits milled into them to accept a lens code. If you code the lens as a 16/18/21Tri-Elmar you can then select say 16mm as the focal length when the lens is mounted on an M8.

This whole setup as described by Steve works very well indeed. If you want to try another quick and dirty method of fitting a filter, try using a razor blade to cut a 2mm wide and approx 30cm long strip of sellotape and then wind that very carefully around the circumference of a 39mm filter, which will then wedge snugly inside the lens shade of the CV 15. Mine has been like that without falling out for nearly two years!

t

To answer the question; the 35mm Summicron. It's the single reason I own the M8. This lens gets you as close as you can get to perfection with respect to sharpness, size & weight, flatness of field, clarity, bokeh, price (as far as Leica goes), color, contrast and ease of use. And at an effective 46.5mm you get moderate wide angle by taking a step back, normal staying where you are and moderate telephoto by taking a step forward.

Great for scenics, great for portraits.

I'd recommend it above the Summilux 35 for three reasons; 1) size and weight, 2) no back focus issues, and 3) price.

My two bits worth of adivce is to stray away from the 35 mm fov since both the summilux, summicron and most, not all, of the other non-Leica lenses focus shift from quite a bit to slightly. I would start with the spectacular 28 summiron asph and then add the 50 summilux asph, when money allows. In this way you have two of the finest Leica lenses within that range and if and when Leica comes out with a FF M9, you have your standard 50 mm and wide angle 28. Some may argue that the difference of FOV of the 35 mm compaired to the 28 warrants the purchase of a 35 mm FOV, but in practice you can make the change to using the 28 if you are used to the 35 or standard 50 mm equivalent FOV in full frame photography--in other words, it is not a quantum step to get use to using the 28 if you are use to using the 35. I strongly suspect that Leica's 35 mm lenses are going to get a makeover sometime in the near to distant future, employing floating elments since they are designs from the days of film photography that was more forgiving when it comes to focus shift. Don't get me wrong, I've owned both the 35 summilux asph and 35 summicron asph and they are wonderful lenses as long as you are mindful of their personalities, but why not get a well behaved lens to start with like the 28 summicron asph that has the best atributes we love in Leica lenses without diplaying tendencies?

I'm new to this forum and new to Leica. I test-drove an M8 last week and really loved it. I am not a pro, but I haven't found a camera yet that's as satisfying as this M8. I just ordered an M8.2 and would like to possibly get a few opinions on what might be the better lens for general purpose use. I also enjoy available-light photography. I can only afford one lens at this point, and I'm thinking about either the Summicron 35/f2 or the Summicron 50/f2. I'm sure I'll enjoy either, but any advice would be most appreciated, in case there's something I'm not aware of or considering. Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my take on it and the logic behind it. For a single lens, I agree with the 28mm Elmarit, which I bought with my M8. The lens makes a neat, well balanced, easy to use package with the M8. The crop factor makes this an equivalent field of view of about 37mm compared to film Ms. I had been shooting some years with film Ms, and found the 35mm focal length to be ideal for most shots. Therefore, the 28mm on the M8 is ideal, and I use it perhaps 90% of the time.

I have also been bitten by the available light bug and the ability to narrow down depth of field and throw backgrounds out of focus with wide open lenses. Having some experience with Summicrons and Summiluxes in the past, I've found the latter (f1.4) lenses to have a distinct advantage over the f2s for this type of shooting. I wanted to add a super-fast lens to my M8 kit for this purpose, but found the f1.0 Noctilux way out of my price range (and a bit too long focal length), and even the 35mm f1.4 Summilux a bit pricey for occasional use. Having read good comments about the 35mm f1.2 CV Nokton, I decided to try it out. I couldn't have been more pleased. It comes in M mount, and takes a 52mm filter. It really doesn't need lens coding, although it could be added if you want. Out of focus areas (bokeh) are smooth.

I already had a 21mm Elmarit, and had it coded, so this makes a good 3 lens kit when traveling: 35mm CV Nokton, 28mm Elmarit, and 21mm Elmarit. This gives me the film M equivalent FOV of a 47mm, 37mm, and 28mm lens kit.

My apologies for verbosity, but I hope this helps in your decision.

Hey you guys -- many thanks for all the great advice. What an excellent forum this is, so many practical/useful comments. I was doubting the 50mm anyhow as my only lens, so will not go there at this point. Really now between the 28mm and 35mm Summicrons. We do have a new baby in the house, so I have to take that into consideration too, so it's most likely going to be the 35mm. I'll have to do a search and read about the focus shift issues (was not aware of that before).

On the 2 day test-drive I had a 35 Summarit and 75 Summarit. I found the 35 FOV very good, but then again, I did not have a 28 for comparison.

28 elmarit is nothing special.. it lacks that whole leica look imo when compared to other lenses

its quite clinical and the macrocontrast is a bit over the top so not too good if you live in a hot sunny country

when it comes to 28's if you dont get the cron then imo save some money and get the ultron or the zeiss

if you like wider then the 24mm is where its at.... just a stunning lens

My two bits worth of adivce is to stray away from the 35 mm fov since both the summilux, summicron and most, not all, of the other non-Leica lenses focus shift from quite a bit to slightly. I would start with the spectacular 28 summiron asph and then add the 50 summilux asph, when money allows.

50mm is almost useless on the m8

not long enough for portraits

not wide enough for anything else :(

I too am just a newbie... With a 2 month old M8.... Here is my stable (Or is it a gaggle of lenses?...)...

1st 28mm Elmarit ASPH 6-Bit coded (Bought new with Leica UV/IR Filter $1,795)

2nd 50mm Cosina Voightlander Nokton (Used/Mint on eBay with adapter $286.50)

3rd 90mm Elmarit 90mm (Used/Mint on eBay $837)

Right now I am scanning on eBay for a nice 35mm Summicron for around $1K....

Hello... My name is Kevin and I am addicted to Leica...

I went through precisely the same consideration a few weeks ago whe I bought my M8. I went for the 35mm F2 ASPH Summicron, a decision I agonised over but am now very happy with the outcome.

My initial choice was between the 28 and 35 F2 variants - but there was a big cost difference between these, and although I fancied the true wide angle of 28mm x 1.33, I didn't want to go above F2 and thought the 35mm a decent compromise.

I decided that I'd maybe go for a 21 or 24mm in the future and I'd try and get used to the 35mm as a single lens.

My biggest difficulty has been getting used to the 'simplicity' of one FOV having used dSLRs with a variety of lenses for a few years. But gradually I've been getting used to it and now the main consideration I have is the composition of the image I'm framing, and the other cameras/ lenses are gathering dust. The M8/ 35mm combination works wonderfully and I've been loving the results since I shot the first frame.

Eventually, the 28/50/90 set is great, but due to the crop factor of the M8, the 35 is great for those who like the standard lens view. The 35 Summarit is affordable and has really nice boke, good enough even to compete with the legendary 35 Cron IV (although the latter is only legendary for its f/4 boke, not wide open), and it is more CA-resistant, and can be had new with a warranty.

The 28 Cron is awesome, as is the APO 90 Cron ASPH, if you like modern, sharp lenses. The 28 Cron is a bit hard to find second-hand at a decent price, but the 90AA is easier. I have one for sale in the Buy&Sell at the moment if you are interested.

If you prefer a more classic, sharp-but-soft look wide open, but still very good performance stopped down, then the last old 28 Elmarit (non-ASPH, looks like the 28 Cron) and the 90 Cron (pre-ASPH, but looks the same) both have great performance and reputations (as well as lower prices than the modern version).

I'm new to this forum and new to Leica ... I can only afford one lens at this point, and I'm thinking about either the Summicron 35/f2 or the Summicron 50/f2.

What I would emphasisze is: do get a Leica lens at least to begin with. Then you can rest assured of the best potential image quality with the camera. The 35 Summicron seems to offer the most desirable attributes: decent max aperture; near approximation to the human perspective (ie, as given by 50mm lens on film). The ASPH is superb, also compact. Check the Leica PDF downloads to see lens weights/dimensions as you may prefer not to have the weight of Summilux alternatives.

If you can find a mint used Summicron but for some reason dislike it, you can recoup 80% of the outlay. If you buy new then resell you'll only get around 65%, on a commission sale basis.

I have had good results with the diminutive Voigtlander 35mm 'pancake' M mount; and the 25mm f4 is a cheap way of assessing how appealing that focal length can be. There is a discernible difference in image quality vis-a-vis the less expensive Voigtlander/Zeiss M lenses, whatever you may read in the threads!

I would tend to think that for a single lens you should consider the 35/2 cron.

I have a new 28/2 cron ASPH and 28/35/50 f/4 tri-elmar ASPH. Second hand I bought a 35/2.8 summaron and the 'fat' 90/2.8 tele-elmarit. The 28/2 ASPH is the best of the pack, by a considerable margin. However if I use the tri-elmar it seems to be 'locked' on 50 mm.

So 28 and 50 are my favorite focal length on the M8. The 28 is close to 35 mm on a film M, a classic focal length. On the M8 50mm is a great medium-wide portrait lens. But if you can afford 1 lens then 35/2 cron is the obvious choice.

If you want to save money, then buy 2 second hand Leica lenses. You get 99% of the image quality at a fraction of the cost. In that case I would advise a 28 and a 50 (the 28 would have to be coded).

well, it already sounds complicated. Not just a walk in the park. On the other hand it costs 1/4 of what you pay for Leica lens.

In the end, with CV, you get what you pay for and since I also have the new 28 cron my next lens is gonna be another one from Leica.

For someone new to the concept, he should really stick to Leica for lens. The 28 cron is amazing, but both the elmarit 28 and elmar 24 are cheap and compact and the elmar is also new and very easy to use

Respectfully, though I use my 50 lux less often than my other glass, it is IMHO the best lens I have ever used and a disproportionate number of the best images I have ever made have come from it.

50mm is almost useless on the m8

not long enough for portraits

not wide enough for anything else :(

Respectfully, though I use my 50 lux less often than my other glass, it is IMHO the best lens I have ever used and a disproportionate number of the best images I have ever made have come from it.

I could say the same about my F1

but it doesn't change the fact that its a very bizarre focal length with the M8 crop and I strongly believe that if people are advising the OP (who only wants one GENERAL PURPOSE lens) to buy a 50mm then we are really doing him a diservice. A 50mm is not a general purpose lens on the M8.

I know there will be people that disagree but generally, its just an awkward length

sorry, but that's photography

in the same way that 12mm for portraits looks strange, and ~75mm makes the face look good, and 50mm is the most similar to the human eye and 300mm isn't much good for environmental street photography etc... these are facts, visual facts that cannot be ignored or refuted