M8.2 Lens recommendation

63strat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to this forum and new to Leica. I test-drove an M8 last week and really loved it. I am not a pro, but I haven't found a camera yet that's as satisfying as this M8. I just ordered an M8.2 and would like to possibly get a few opinions on what might be the better lens for general purpose use. I also enjoy available-light photography. I can only afford one lens at this point, and I'm thinking about either the Summicron 35/f2 or the Summicron 50/f2. I'm sure I'll enjoy either, but any advice would be most appreciated, in case there's something I'm not aware of or considering. Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm new to this forum and new to Leica. I test-drove an M8 last week and really loved it. I am not a pro, but I haven't found a camera yet that's as satisfying as this M8. I just ordered an M8.2 and would like to possibly get a few opinions on what might be the better lens for general purpose use. I also enjoy available-light photography. I can only afford one lens at this point, and I'm thinking about either the Summicron 35/f2 or the Summicron 50/f2. I'm sure I'll enjoy either, but any advice would be most appreciated, in case there's something I'm not aware of or considering. Thanks.

I love the 35mm field of view on a M8 - something like 46mm on a 35mm film camera. I don't generally shoot over a true 50mm field of view, so I couldn't recommend that sort of length on the M8 - especially as your only lens!

With the M8's crop factor, most users would choose either a 28mm or 35mm for their "normal" lens. I have both and tend to use the 28mm more often since I was used to the 35mm FOV on a film M. The 50mm on the M8 would be on the narrow FOV side for an only lens.

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I were in your shoes I would get the 28 Elmarit which is small, (relatively) inexpensive and reviewed everywhere as an excellent lens. It yields an EFOV just over 35mm which is the classic for M photography, because you tend to work closer to the subject than with an SLR. Later I would complement it with a summilux lens to give better low-light options.

In my case I already had 35/1.4, 50/2 and 90/2 from film photography. The 28 was a bit too close to the 35 for me, so I opted for the 24/2.8 (EFOV 32mm) which, by the way, is an excellent lens.

The suggestion of Voigtlander is a good one and there are knowledgable dealers who will guide you through the intricacies of switching to the CV.

If you are new to M photography I would recommend subscribing to Sean Reid's site http://www.reidreviews.com. It is not expensive and there are comprehensive reviews of all the lens -- Leica and other -- that you might want to consider.

Welcome to the world of Leica. We all love it here, and you will too!

Robert

Summicron ASPH 35 : you'll never regret to have this lens, even if you'll stay with only it for a longtime; as a savvy alternative, Elmarit 28 asph (if you prefer to have a small WA as normal) plus Voigtlander 75 : two for something less the cost of the first I quoted.

And... don't forget that many good Leica lenses can be found on the user market... better to search for like new items, not too much aged (but 10-15 years aren't too much for Leica lenses), at serious dealers.

It's a matter very much of personal choice. With film Ms people were often divided between a 35mm and a 50mm lens. For a single lens system my personal choice would be for a 28mm lens. A Summicron if you can afford it, and Elmarit if not.

If funds are tight then consider a Voigtlander 28mm Ultron, though coding this will be more problematic than a Leica lens would be.

I also enjoy available-light photography. I can only afford one lens at this point, and I'm thinking about either the Summicron 35/f2 or the Summicron 50/f2.

The 35/2.0 asph is a good all-rounder, but the extra stop and its socalled fingerprint makes the 35/1.4 asph a better choice if you can in any way afford it.

Many like the 50/2.0 but I would disadvice you from only having this lens with the M8.2. Due to the crop factor the focal length is like a small tele, and if you are going to buy a 50 mm lens then you should anyway get the 1.4 asph which is one of the best lenses Leica produces.

You might also consider the 28/2.0 asph or the 28/2.8 asph - the latter is reasonably priced. However, the 35 mm focal length would be a better choice for you if you are only going to have one lens IMHO.

Someone proposed the new 24/3.8 - However, due to the opening this lens is not fit for being your only lens. The 24/2.8 asph is a wonderful lens - one of Leicas best - but I would not choose that one if I did not have other lenses.

So, the 35/1.4 asph must be the logical choice. If money is a problem - and it is for most of us - try and find one used. Many of us are happy to use lenses that others have run in with love and care.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Guest noah_addis

Definitely look into buying used, you'll save a ton of cash. What lens did you use with your test drive?

Only you can decide what lens is right, but 50 definitely is long as an only lens on the crop-format M8. My most used lens on my M8 is a 28 'cron. If money is tight, you could go for the 28 elmarit asph instead, I have that too and it's a wonderful lens and very compact. I think 28mm is a great focal length to start with on the M8.

The longest I would suggest as an only lens is a 35. Can't go wrong with a 35 'cron or again maybe the 35 summarit to save some cash.

Starting with one lens is a good idea. Limiting yourself to one lens is a great way to learn to be a better photographer as it forces you to really learn how to use that lens and adapt to different situations. With film cameras I generally would recommend starting with a 35mm or maybe 50mm, so that brings you back to the M8 with 28mm or 35mm.

i love the 35 Lux and the 24 elmarit... my two most used lenses

prefer them to my 28 'cron although I accept that the 28 is also a great lens

but as stated, ive owned a 28mm ultron as well and if funds are tight then that is an absolute corker of a lens for around 180 quid used.

for the price of a used 28 summicron you could have a Zeiss 25, a 28 ultron and also a 35mm pre-asph summilux which would be quite a formidable line up

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Zeiss 35mm f/2. As good as the 35mm asph cron and cheaper. I would see no need for coding a lens at this focal length. I used the 35mm asph cron with filter and without coding for thousands of photos and never noticed cyan vignetting. I wouldn't bother with coding. For lenses wider than 28mm with filters there's a problem though..

At the moment I'm not using filters at all because I mostly do B&W anyway. Otherwise I correct in C1 with profiles or in ACR with the saturation sliders..

The problem I see with choosing a "1 lens only now" solution to this type of question, is what lenses will be bought later on an what you like shooting.

IMO the 35 is perhaps the best compromise as a single lens leaving room later for a 21 & 75 later to fill out the focal range

But in saying that I found the 35 as a single lens to narrow in it's FOV as a standard walk about. Here the 28 Summicron excels which seems almost perfect in most situations. I later filled out the range with a 50 and a 90. But I'm still looking for an cheap ultra wide option for the very few occasions I need a dramatic view.

I like shooting portrait type stuff so my personal preference is 50 - 90 range but IMO their FOV would be way to tight as a general lens.

50 is too long for general use and what no one is telling you is that is can be tough to find a 35 lux or cron that reliably focusses and does not show symptoms of focus shift as you stop down. This much is admitted by Leica and many reviewers have accepted the same thing though it is also true that many users here have been fortunate enough not to have this problem.

If you can't be sure of getting a trustworthy 35 lux or cron but want to make images in low light then the 28 cron is the only game in town unless you want to get into CV or Zeiss lenses and at 35mm and wider you will need to work out how to code them or you will likely suffer odd corner color shifts.

The M8.x is my favourite camera ever but it is not for the faint-hearted. It takes dedication to get the best from it.

Best

Tim

...what no one is telling you is that is can be tough to find a 35 lux or cron that reliably focusses and does not show symptoms of focus shift as you stop down.

I know there have been issues with some examples of the 35mm Summilux, but I've not heard of similar problems with the Summicron.

Sounds a lot complicated: adapters to the M mount, adapters for coding, extra filtering for IR.

More complicated? The CV and Zeiss lenses don't need any different filtering than Leica lenses. There's a bit more work for coding but that's usually about it. Many of the CV lenses are already M mount although that can be a pro or con if one owns an M8.

Cheers,