New shutter... first impression

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there guys,

my upgraded M8 (I choosed the new shutter) has just come back home.

I spent few hours shooting int the street and at my Leica dealer shop, having the opportunity to make a fast comparison between the new and the old shutter.

What is suddenly surprising is the incredible stability advantage keeping the upgrade camera while shooting. It really remind me of my M6, the re-cocking is subsequential to the shut (no delayed as been said before), but it is really really soft.

The sound is much less "clunky", and for "much less" I really mean "much less".

Anyway the gratest advantage is the absence of repercussion, I can easly say that you may gain a full stop in low-light.

I used to be quite comfortable with my M8+35lux ASPH @ 1/15-1/24, I just tried 1/8 with the same combo at pictures looks really steady.

My conclusion is that I did a great thing, even more if I think of the new warranty extension, It worth the expense.

IMO

Here is a sample shot hand-held M8(upgraded)+35luxASPH (black anodized) @ 160iso 1/8" F/2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks you too Brent for commenting, this is really a great improvement to me, I'm just happy!

Philip, if you're thinking about it I can't but say go with it!;)

Unfortunately I didn't have too much time to think about it, so I opted for the shutter only, to be honest it's probable that I couldn't have taken another upgrade in this short period.:p

But I'm satisfied!

Maurizio - thanks. I'd already decided I'd get one body done while it was at Solms.

Now you've got this experience do you feel more reconciled to not having the discrete mode on re-cock? Would you feel OK working in moderately quiet moments in a theatre or concert (I'm not talking complete silence - but during conversation of medium volume playing with a jazz trio or the like?)

Really helpful to have real world experience on this!

Best

Chris, maybe it's too early to say that, but tomorrow I'll be at a Red Bull event shooting some, and in the evening I'll have to partecipate to a small conference, right now I'm going to make some shots to a small lounge club, do you think you may need my report?

I will be more "experienced" about the new shutter soon, because now I would say that even without the discreet mode they won't notice me, but with some patience I may be more accurate soon!:p

Hi there guys,

my upgraded M8 (I choosed the new shutter) has just come back home....................

What is suddenly surprising is the incredible stability advantage keeping the upgrade camera while shooting. It really remind me of my M6, the re-cocking is subsequential to the shut (no delayed as been said before), but it is really really soft.

My conclusion is that I did a great thing, even more if I think of the new warranty extension, It worth the expense.

IMO

Thanks Maurizio! That is really what I was hoping for: what was nagging me even more than the sound: that infernal shudder.

You made my day!

Maurizio - I'll be interested to hear impressions - I won't be picking this up straight away as I'm in Romania for work, but I hope I'll be able to get near internet at sometime and will love to learn how things have gone...

In the meantime I'm still working with my backup M8 + the 5D...

Best

Thank you for the report! I've been disappointed with my - or the camera's - stability at lower shutter speeds, but had attributed this to my own aging, rather than to the shutter itself.

I'm on the list to send mine in to NJ. Ms. Murray is making me 2 appointments 2 weeks apart to get both bodies done, & perhaps I'll have both in hand in between upgrades to listen to them comparatively.

Can't help mentioning that I just heard a very young musician playing Bach's cello suites on a street corner. Music that's every bit as beautiful as a quiet Leica shutter!

Kirk

PS, I'm also getting the frameline upgrade. The framelines are what's bothered me most & have turned me into an inveterate 'chimper,' trying to see what ended up in the frame. I really look forward to the 'framelines of yesteryear,' which were accurate enough for printing with a filed-out negative carrier.

I still dont understand how the new shutter makes for smoother holding? Is it that the release has been improved?

If you feel for it there is a jump when the the shutter fires and when it recocks. The slight jump at the start is the shutter lock disengaging and I believe the jump at the end of the recock is from the lock going back on.

That is why some on this forum shoot in continuous mode when they are below a certain shutter speed. In that mode the lock disengages at the start of the first shot and never re-engages until you lift your finger off of the shutter release at the final shot. This alos make shot to shot times lower.

Hi there guys,

my upgraded M8 (I choosed the new shutter) has just come back home.

I spent few hours shooting int the street and at my Leica dealer shop, having the opportunity to make a fast comparison between the new and the old shutter.

The sound is much less "clunky", and for "much less" I really mean "much less".

Anyway the gratest advantage is the absence of repercussion, I can easly say that you may gain a full stop in low-light.

I used to be quite comfortable with my M8+35lux ASPH @ 1/15-1/24, I just tried 1/8 with the same combo at pictures looks really steady.

IMO

Here is a sample shot hand-held M8(upgraded)+35luxASPH (black anodized) @ 160iso 1/8" F/2

I really like the new shutter as well. Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,

Sean

I don't know exactly, my feeling is that the slight jump at the start (the shutter lock disengaging) is somehow softened. It really sounds like my M6.

Just to give you a non-scientific report, after one month without my camera (more or less) as soon as I took a candid to my girlfriend tonight she asked to me "is it broken still?It seems like you didn't shot." then added "it seems that the camera is under a glass":D

She doesn't know of course that my credit card has just been used...:rolleyes: but maybe her words may just fit the description of the new sound.

I tried few minutes later with the Luigi's case, and it's even more impressive with that.

Anyway, to add some description to this night feeling, I did some shots at the club, and I can easily say that just people 1,5 meters away from me may have heard something (while 50/60 were talking not loud), anyway none of them turned the head while I was shooting, so I guess that it was barely audible unless they had their ears directed towards my M8.

A friend of mine (he's a photographer indeed) was really impressed by the new sound, "astonishing" (he said) if compared to D700 he was using tonight, and I'm sure that his comment is more than reliable.