So, who is buying?

phovsho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I would buy any of these products, it would be the S2, but only if I could envision making some money with it, which at the moment is not the case. Very interesting products, for some some of us, nothing we would necessarily buy. The 24/3.8 might tempt me, but if I wanted a 24, I might pick up a used 24/2.8 instead.

Someone else made an interesting suggestion: sell the WATE and buy the 21/1.4... I might do that. I even have a CV15 ready. The CV15 is flawed for dimly lit indoors, but the 21/1.4 would be killer with a FF body!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The critical thing with the S2, of course, is price. If Leica decided they *must* establish a system, they could decide to initially sell the S2 at close to cost, figuring the raise prices after it's established, and also make money on the new lenses -- the lenses being substantially cheaper than the body, but still very profitable for Leica.

It's also *critical* that the R lens adapter be available as soon as the S2 comes out -- it should be part of a kit, IMHO. If you could shoot the S2 as a full-frame camera with the R lenses, that would also make people feel a lot better about the initial price, I think.

I think there's a huge stretch of psychological pricing territory between, say 14,999 and 20,000, and every euro or dollar up makes a big difference.

On size -- one of the photos of the S2 I believe shows an optional battery pack mounted on the bottom. Whether you see it with, or without, the pack, makes a big difference in perceived size. For what it is, it's quite compact -- though the lenses are very big.

If I sold all my Leica M gear, including the M7, I could about afford a body. I've got a lot of thinking to do.

JC

As this threadt is posted in the digital forum, but asks about all of the products I'll chime in. The 50 Elmar looks kick ass, totally sane that one. The 21mm is an incredible lens, I haven't even bothered to price it. Then I use that focal lenght in a Contax G2 21 and a IIIa 21/4.5. As much as I lust, I can't answer how to pay for one. Then with a 0.72 finder, I don't think I'd like it much.

I'm looking forward to seeing some user reports on the new Elmar.

I agree with Andy, the S-2 is a big camera. How could it not be with that sensor size and an optical viewfinder to go with it. It's cleverly disguised in the design but it's a big camera.

I had been planning to upgrade one of my M8s to 8.2 but I was disappointed the delayed shutter wind is not in there for upgrades.

I never had a 24... Lux is out of budget by great, but there is the 3,8 ... I was vaguely thinking of a 28 (and now there is the silver 28...), but maybe... who knows ? The battery charger looks nice... and there is also a new 1,4x eyepiece... don't know the price, but frankly my 3rd party 1,35x is really a low-quality item...

No camera upgrades for me: I've just got decently accustomed to the frames of M8, don't feel the issue of shutter noise, and the sapphire glass... well my screen protectors are cheap and make their job...

is very tempting

I have the 21 Elmarit which I love and 28 Summicron, which is my favorite walkabout lens

while the focal length difference is not all that great, having a 24 at that speed is a huge advantage in doing low light photography

dof problems will not be as great & one can handhold it at slow shutter speeds

I will probably wait until after its reviews come out (size, CA suppression and sharpness are concerns, though I do not believe Leica will let us down) but I see one in my near future

the S is VERY tempting indeed, but it would mean a whole new lens system as well for me

(I doubt it will have an M adapter available for it)

still if the price is right

I have not been pleased with the F mount offerings presently available for DSLRs, so I might be tempted to make the switch when these become available next summer

I will buy it If I have money. But I do`nt! SO I must wait for M8.3(FF sensor)

But mmmmm I have no fund if Leica keep releasing nice product like them!!!! They know how to get to the Leica fans! It look like some of H3D user or Canon/Nikon user might shift to Leica S2 camera. But I think it is up to the how good after service are.

In Australia Leica M8 and R8 is not serviceable at this stage(not many user here),

Canon, nikon , Hasselblad are serviced in this country.

Professional can not wait for camera to come back from Germany after 2month. I guess they can keep their Nikon, Canon gear as back-up!!

...So, who is buying?...

Not me i'm afraid. The last Luxs and S2 are too big and dear for my taste and i don't like chimping, EVFs, coding and filters either. So i'll stay a couple more years with my old Epsons i guess and perhaps a Canon 5D to use my R lenses digitally.

30+ years of Leica practice, 30+ Leica lenses and 2 Japanese bodies. Funny no? :rolleyes:

I'm in for the quiet shutter and the new LCD hard plastic cover. And afterwards new leather (the real stuff) which I'll mount myself. Of course next month I'll buy a nice small charger :)

Thom, you stole my post :D Exactly what I will be doing on my "beater" camera.

Guest kirkmingle
The only thing that would interest me is a full frame M9. I'll wait.

The M8.2 does not give you better picture quality. The new shortcut for EV comp and the "S" dial is not important for me. The sensor is the same and the rest is cosmetic changes (they are nice though!). Replace the red Leica dot with a black one, buy vulcanite covering from Leica upgrade service and it works the same. So I will wait for Leica to release a full-frame digital M - (or M8 sensor upgrade).

I will not buy any of the new lenses either. I would have loved to see a 28 Summilux-M Asph though :(

S2 system is not for me.

The only thing that would interest me is a full frame M9. I'll wait.

same for me.

That said seeing the S2 gives me a lot more confidence that Leica can eventually deliver a properly developed M9.

Even ignoring the price, I'm not interested in the new lenses. For me a RF camera has a focal length sweet spot (35mm for the M7, 28mm for the M8), where the viewfinder works well, add on finders or magnifiers totally get in the way.

Now if a super new 35 summilux ASPH arrived I might have to reconsider...

I would like to get that 21 Lux, and will if I can swing it.

It means, though, that my current 24 Elmarit ASPH, my 21 Elmarit pre-ASPH and my 90 pre-asph Cron will all go for sale to help finance it...

It's not going to be cheap, but between that and the 28 'cron I can see a lot of use for me.

Now, on the S system, I just can't afford it, or I'd jump. If it's going to top out in the 20-30K$ range then it's not for me for the foreseeable future. It'll be a combination of DMR and D3 for me for now.

On the other hand, we'll have to see what kind of leasing deals Leica and Phase are prepared to come up with...

The R10 or whatever that is likely to follow it is definitely on my wish list. I just didn't want it to be 2010.

On the M8 upgrades and M8.2 I think I will reserve my funds for the M9

I already have a WATE and 24 elmarit and I dont really want to sell either of those to fund a 21 summilux.

One of the delights of the M8 for me is the small lenses (both the WATE and Elmarit are already on the large size), from this point of view I still prefer my 50 cron over my 50 lux and I love the 28 elmarit and 35 cron.

I am interested in a really wide lens, something like 12mm, I use the 12mm CV quite a lot, but perhaps Leica wont make a lens that wide if it has to perform well on film cameras right to the corners.

As an amateur with already a bit too much camera gear I could not justify the S2 so I will stick with my Canon 1ds3, which I think will still do fast motion photography (its main use for me) far better than the S2 is likely to manage. I will take look at the new Zeiss lenses for Canon in 6 months or so.

So in summary for the moment I look forward to the M9 and intend not to handle an M8.2, because my resolve might break.

Exciting times for Leica users.

Jeff