So, who is buying?

phovsho

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If money were no object I'd certainly buy a 21/1.4. You could do a lot of cool things with a lens like that. I'd also seriously consider a M8.2 as a second body, or rather a first body with my existing M8 as a backup. Sadly, my kidney has not sold on e-bay so I guess I'm sol. Still, there is a couple of day's left to go on the auction for my wife's kidney, the only problem is how I'll remove it from her without her noticing if someone presses "Buy it Now" ;)

LouisB

For my M8 side:

The 24mm-lux is very interesting, since I use the 24mm-Elmarit a lot, like that focal length. If wide-open performance of the new lux is fine, it could be interesting to replace the 24-elmarit and the 28-cron with that one lens.

In a nutshell, the 24mm/lux would combine lens-speed and wide-angle/reportage/environmental portrait capabilities into one lens, where today I needed to carry a 24/f2.8 in combo with either 28/2.0 or 35/1.4.

--

The S system is to be seen and experienced; I would expect Leica to top the lens quality of Fuji/Hassy or Mamyia - but to be seen. I would love seeing it to replace my Canon system, but I doubt that high-ISO performance will be there with a CCD-type sensor. The small camera in combo with a broad lens range incl. extreme wide angle of 24mm is very interesting.

--

A BIG issue:

Leica needs to provide for all products a) faster turn-around time for customer support; and, for the US, to add an expedited service option. B) Ensure that lenses work (focus!) out-of-the-box correctly.

Otherwise, I am not willing to invest further.

My R lens CLA turnaround time was estimated to be 3-4 months by Leica.

Maybe, maybe, the PhaseOne agreement will help on the S-system side to provide better and timely support.

We all need to start telling that the dealers; they need to advocate that to Leica. This is the way to generate impact. This is what I mentioned to Photovillage, and this is what you folks should bring up with your dealers...

Peter

Riccis and folks,

I think the 24-lux will be great for reportage and environmental portraits.

The problem I see with the 21-lux is that it needs an external finder on the M8. That is a slow - too slow? - process for shooting people and using f1.4 (compose via external finder, focus via internal finder).

What's your assessment of the 21 versus 24?

Peter

The only things I'm considering are:

1) A frameline upgrade although the thought of parting with my camera for so long and having it come back all screwed up (yes, I'm cynical because of past Leica service experiences) weighs against my desire to make my 75mm lense more useful.

2) The 24/1.4 but that decision will depend upon how big and awkward the lens feels when I try it at a dealer. If it is too cumbersome, I'll get the older 24/2.8 instead. 24mm is the only focal length I want that I'm missing.

I want a smaller charger but I'm thinking to get the Delkin instead so that it can charge batteries from my other cameras as well (is the M8 plate out yet?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd go for the 24mm for precisly the reason you give. When I was getting the M8 I had to decide on an additional wide angle, I chose the 24mm Elmarit because it meant I didn't need an external viewfinder. Others views may differ as they say.

...So who will be dropping some cash on any of these products?

M

A C-Lux 3 empties my Leica budget this year. I'd prefer the D-Lux 4, but I can't live with 60mm. I've never been taken with my G9. Then again, the comparable Panasonics are about half the price. I will get a new 5D when it's available.

John

Riccis and folks,

I think the 24-lux will be great for reportage and environmental portraits.

The problem I see with the 21-lux is that it needs an external finder on the M8. That is a slow - too slow? - process for shooting people and using f1.4 (compose via external finder, focus via internal finder).

Peter

Peter - I am waiting to get my hands on both before making my final decision... I agree with you on how using an external finder is a pain (IMHO) and does not go with my style of shooting... Whenever I've used a 21 in the past, I just use the viewfinder as a reference for my framing and go from there...

Cheers,

New battery charger, definitely.

24/3.8 Elmar looks interesting, but I think I'd like my next lens to be a bit longer, perhaps one of the Summarits.

I already have a new, previous-generation Noctilux, but have been wanting to try a viewfinder magnifier for it.

S2 looks fabulous, but at 20K Euros for the body alone, it's out of my reach. However, I think it bodes well for the future R-camera which I may be able to buy.

M8.2 upgrade: Probably not, unless the shutter in my camera fails out of warranty, or I crack the LCD cover. The money not spent here may go towards the R10.

... hopefully they release discrete shutter and ISO/EV shortcuts for m8 owners and more...

The auto ISO feature in the new fw would seem to indicate that they're not going to give us a change to ISO/EV functions..

I haven't upgraded yet, but am looking forward to the auto ISO. Sounds great.

Guest tvleeskr

I'm in for the quiet shutter and the new LCD hard plastic cover. And afterwards new leather (the real stuff) which I'll mount myself. Of course next month I'll buy a nice small charger :)

For my M8 side:

The 24mm-lux is very interesting, since I use the 24mm-Elmarit a lot, like that focal length. If wide-open performance of the new lux is fine, it could be interesting to replace the 24-elmarit and the 28-cron with that one lens.

was thinking along similar lines..... maybe sneaking in a cheap 28 ultron off ebay as well just to have a 28 for those moments when you might need one. The last Ultron I had was a fabulous lens, make no mistake.

The only thing that gets me a little is that really the 21 1.4 is the really special one as I don't think its been done before... but for me its just a little too wide and the 24 i use tons (and you dont need a finder)

big problem of course with this route is that in 2010 when i have to shelve out more vast sums of money for my FF M9. I then have to shift everything upwards so that will mean ebaying the 24 1.4 and buying the 28 1.4 (if it exists by then), selling my cv12 and possibly also my zeiss 18 and maybe buying a 21 elmarit as my occasional super-wide lens.

Either of the new Luxes - not the new body.

The 24/1.4 would replace the 28/2 but the 21/14 would offer the greatest advantage indoors, handheld.

Definitely a new lens over a new M8.2.

Lenses define the M system. I can't see why someone would overlook the opportunity to buy one of the new Luxes simply to spend the same cash on a modified version of a body s/he already owns.

Of course, that's precisely what a lot of people are likely to do.

I, too, am tempted but another problem with buying the body is - I can't justify adding new lenses, only selling the WATE and replacing it with a 21. The 15mm Distagon is too wonderful to part with and the 28/2 is a standard (ignoring the longer end of the spectrum).

Regards

I was planning on getting the frameline and shutter upgrade, but after figuring that I was also planning to get rid of some other gear anyway that will just about make up the difference in price between the upgrade and an 8.2 I think I'll just do that instead. Will wait to see one in person, hear the new shutter, etc. If the new shutter isn't quiet enough will just live with what I've got and save some money.

just as a note regarding the S2 and size.

Whilst I did not ahve it in my hands it looks HUGE.....much bigger than the 5D which it being compared to, unless the glass it was behind was playing tricks;)

seriously tho, it is a very large unit...in its current form

andy