So, who is buying?

phovsho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I congratulate Lieca on the new product announcements. I long for a lot of the new stuff Leica has released. However, an S2 is a dream and not really what my photography is about. The M8.2 doesn't go far enough to make me feel the need to trade the M8 - I would be most tempted by the black paint! Those fast lens both the wides and the nocti are tempting but crazy prices for an amateur like me.

So who will be dropping some cash on any of these products?

I'm considering the upgade for a quieter camera with more accurate framing, but would probably do better saving my pennies and putting them towards the M9 when it arrives. I might also reach for one of the faster wides, but will want to see how they perform before I get to excited. Also a 21 or 24/1.4 is more appealing to me with a cropped sensor than on a film or full sensor body - again just the way I take photos - so really only of interest for the life of the M8. Also, they look big and I would have prefered a better iso performance than a bigger/faster lens. Perhaps I would be more interested if they were 2.0s!

So, who is buying? Will these products have the desired impact on Leica's bottom line - something we all hope for.

M

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I would buy any of these products, it would be the S2, but only if I could envision making some money with it, which at the moment is not the case. Very interesting products, for some some of us, nothing we would necessarily buy. The 24/3.8 might tempt me, but if I wanted a 24, I might pick up a used 24/2.8 instead.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm surprised Guy Manusco hasn't announced he'll buy two S2s yet:D:D.

It seems to be the ideal camera for a pro that likes the DMR and M8, yet needs mid-format.

I guessed by his words that something like an S2 should have come!...maybe he already has got one...:D

I was seriously considering the 24mm 1.4 and have made a dealer enquiry

but with the S2 possibly affordable and no signs on the horizon for an M9, it might be best to freeze my current M lens lineup till further notice.

if the S2 comes in at E15,000 or under then i'll be in, but keeping one M8 and a couple of wide lenses, prolly the 24, the 35 lux and the zeiss 18mm

in the meantime, the plan is to pick up an ex demo or nearly new M8 mk1 for around 1700-1800 GBP and have that as a backup, selling my RD-1 in the process. So if anyone has an M8 to offload at a realistic price then give me a shout.

S2 is not my thing

Compared to the M8 I see no need for an M8.2 for 1000euro more

and after the M8 expiriences I had I have a hard time to convince myself to stick with an M8. If there was an alternative I would switch 100% sure. I'm anxiously waiting for a Nikon RF news

so I'm afraid Leica will get no more money from me, disappointed I am in de M8's reliabillity and the companies behavior

The M8 has kind of matured into a pretty interesting camera for me - with each lens its a different kind of shooting experience, and that is worthwhile.

But by the time you add it all up, the $ get up there.... into MF territory.

The S2 for me is a non-started, as the SLR eye-level shooting is not so attractive with a larger camera. So for that kind of money, I'll head into MFDB territory - now that the Hy6 package is getting to be more reasonably priced. And those Schneider lenses in the closet can get used, with a proper waist level finder.

There is probably an audience for the S, but gee, can't be so big. Leica here seems to be wanting to occupy the top-of-the-ladder perch with superior optics with a rather forceful hand. Not much accomodation for the slightly less opulent photographer in this scenario.

But, can we really blame them? Everyone spoke about technology and SLRs and all. I want to hear how competition will react now.

Since m8 was introduced, everyone was asking for a FF sensor a-la Canon. At least now, with the S2, steam will channel away from that gem(m8), and hopefully focus where it matters: upgrades, better firmware, fixing of noise a bit, hopefully they release discrete shutter and ISO/EV shortcuts for m8 owners and more...

Guest noah_addis

Leica won't be getting any more of my cash for a while. As a working documentary photographer about to go freelance, I was planning to pick up a second M digital, but for the price of the M8.2 I can almost get two secondhand M8's.

I was thinking about the upgrades but none seem to add enough value to justify the cost, not to mention the fact that I can't afford to have my cameras in the shop for that long.

I was hoping for a 21 or 24 summicron, but the 'luxes, while I'm sure they are incredible, are too big and way too expensive.

I just ordered a used 21 elmarit asph from tony at popflash, who seems to be a great guy by the way, and plan to pick up a used M8 soon, leaning towards selling one of my MP's to fund it.

if the S2 comes in at E15,000 or under then i'll be in

The S2 has grown on me as a piece of industrial and ergonomic design. Initially when I saw the scanned page on flickr I thought it looked an ugly beast but having seen the other images of it I can see it's rather a beautiful thing - especially the design of that eyepiece and the minimal layout of the buttons and switches. I fully expect it to be absolutely top-notch in terms of performance (Leica cannot afford for it to be otherwise) but it will not come in anywhere near €15,000, let alone under that. Kit price for body and 75/F2.5 lens is surely going to be in the £20,000 territory and it simply isn't a practical proposition for me. If I buy into that image quality level I'll go down the Hasselblad route - there's no way I'll want to tie up capital and buy into a body and series of S lenses when I can easily rent the 'blad H bodies and lenses for relatively little money.

Incidentally, Leica are very wise to do a deal with Phase One to sell these through their dealer network. When you spend £20-30k+ (or rent the equivalent) on equipment, you are doing it because the job requires it and is paying accordingly. If something goes wrong you need dealers experienced with people working at this level, the last thing you want to be doing is calling up one of our friendly neighbourhood Leica dealers for a cosy chat to see if they can help or having to speak to Mr Nob at Milton Keynes.

Kaufmann said that the body will sell for between 10k-20k euros. Lenses will be cheaper to produce due reduced R&D costs (nothing new there for optical formulas, I'd suppose). Maybe it is not that tricky to build lenses which are much larger than M-lenses.

It looks like Kaufmann want to sell many S2 and get good profit. There are a lot to earn for 10-20k pieces than M8 bodies so let us hope to get more money for R&D for next M. It is nothing better than that we get share of one digital platform for different bodies. Same Kodak, same PhaseOne software, eventual Fujitsu for R and M etc. It means good quality or better for cheaper products, I hope.