Overall Disappointing photkinia for Leica

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Totally in agreement with barjohn. A "new" M8.2, a trio of expensive lenses, and an exiting, yet vaporware S2 for summer 2009, don't sound like the products that will contribute to a positive balance sheet for Leica in 2009.

But than again, Kaufmann confirmed "his long term investment in Leica." To me, that's THE positive take-away from Photokina.

I will support the man and his Leica vision, and get myself a Leica M8.2. YES!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but I was hoping for a CL like digital. Something using a new better sensor and technology. For example taking the micro 4/3rds but making a range finder with it. Priced under $2K. I think the M8 will not survive except for the collectors hence I sold mine. Something more modern with high quality lenses is another story provided they were not priced through the stratosphere.

Leica annouced 13 new lenses in two systems several of which are record-breakers, an amazing new projector, promised to keep the R alive, updated a troubled camera and released a firmware with most of the fixes for owners of the old model, expanded their compact camera options, and announced an entire new camera system which defines a new market segment and may shake things up in a major way in the high-end DSLR market as well as the intro MF market, and because you didn't get your dCL you are disappointed? I hope you recognize that yours is an exceedingly jaded judgement.

Boy no one can have a negative opinion on this forum without you fanboys just jumping in.

It is not about having a negative opinion, it is all about how you phrase it. I think it was a fantastic Photokina for Leica, with all kinds of incredible new products. The prices are heart-attack-inducing, but when weren't they? I agree with someone else, you should have titled the thread "disappointing for barjohn", which would have changed the feel of this thread completely.

Yes, but I was hoping for a CL like digital. Something using a new better sensor and technology. For example taking the micro 4/3rds but making a range finder with it. Priced under $2K. I think the M8 will not survive except for the collectors hence I sold mine. Something more modern with high quality lenses is another story provided they were not priced through the stratosphere.

So as soon as a company does not sell what you want it goes down the drain? That should take care of 99.999% of companies worldwide.....

Actually it seems the proces has started already, when I see the Financial Times:(

What I dont understand is why there isnt a thousand and one responses to mark nortons leica park photos. Dont ask me now, I dont know where they are. But they gave me more genuine comfort than a couple of items a mock and some panazonics. If you ask me you are all in the wrong thread if you are looking inspiration.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I dont understand is why there isnt a thousand and one responses to mark nortons leica park photos. Dont ask me now, I dont know where they are. But they gave me more genuine comfort than a couple of items a mock and some panazonics. If you ask me you are all in the wrong thread if you are looking inspiration.

I was actually wondering about that myself.

But although those photos did instill a sense of confidence for the future, there was also a sense of ... so THAT'S why the darn stuff is is so expensive! :eek:

Either way, it looks as though there actually is a future, which is good enough news for me (I sure as heck won't be buying an S2).

Id be inclined to think the price hikes have to cover all the returns. Maybe manufacturing is only tough in Australia but there arent many that can afford any returns let alone the volume Leica generated for themselves.

Hopefully someone spending his time with consultants on services and p&e layout than frigging round in here listening to people telling him how to run the show.

Leica annouced 13 new lenses in two systems several of which are record-breakers, an amazing new projector, promised to keep the R alive, updated a troubled camera and released a firmware with most of the fixes for owners of the old model, expanded their compact camera options, and announced an entire new camera system which defines a new market segment and may shake things up in a major way in the high-end DSLR market as well as the intro MF market, and because you didn't get your dCL you are disappointed? I hope you recognize that yours is an exceedingly jaded judgement.

Totally agree. It's an amazingly diverse set of announcements. They can't do everything at once, though they've come pretty close.

The original post does remind me of the Python "What have the Roman's ever done for us?" sketch.

Don,t worry too much- some people just like to draw whatever attention they can to themselves on such forums by outlandish and provocative postings.

It is good that Leica are finding new directions, and I wish them every success.

I a certain that there were no shortages of similar opinions to barjohn's when Dr. Leitz decided to put the Barnack camera into production. I also actually believe that, from a business point of view, Dr.Kaufmann has the correct outlook and plan. We should be grateful that the company has been freed from the short-term need to roll out the dubious celebratory editions on which they were dependent in the recent past.

Leica erwacht!

By and large, I am fairly pleased with my photography. No, it may not be brilliant, But I enjoy it immensely and my clients are even happier. What could I have asked for to make all that better? Nothing! Except perhap more talent. :D My M8's serve me brilliantly, and they are continually being updated.They are like all the other cameras I own. Flawed. Part of my skill as a photographer is to choose the most appropriate tool(s) for the given task. If I fail, it is my fault, not the cameras.

I cannot understand all the whingers laying shortcomings on equipment suppliers products. It is one thing to express a desire for something, but in the end, the supplier is running their business to suit themselves, not us, the consumer. We are no more than a 'barometer' in the scheme of their business.

I will say again, as I have said elswhere, If you chose the wrong tools for your need, you are to blame. If Santa didn't fill your stocking and your request, tough. You should know by now he is a myth.

I think the M8 will not survive except for the collectors hence I sold mine.

Well I'm not a collector of anything, I use everything I own (Don't care for dust collectors).

Funny part is I'm still using my M8's. They still take pictures and very good pictures at that, if I do my part.

WoW!

Now that I really see S2's body in relation to a D3... now I realize what a feat it is!

And to some this is a disappointment... Why do you predict it's gonna be expensive?

The S2 IS the big new in PMA, bigger than the micro 3/4. I can only imagine the competition with the Asian companies starting to grow.

Again: it only takes that much to wake up a sleeping giant...

How do you avoid the magenta
.. Erl I stay out of rooms with dicey lighting .............. I think my PP naturally kills it................... I actually never really gave it a thought