Overall Disappointing photkinia for Leica

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An M8.2..for $6,295 Yawn:confused:

An S2 for a Bazillion Bucks...Who Cares??:eek: Delivery Summer 2009

A new Noctilux for $11K...really:( f

A new PanaLieca for twice the cost of the Pany...

Where are the bread and butter products that will keep the company alive by meeting its overhead? I guess Dr. Kaufman has plenty of money to play with his hobby until he gets bored with it and having it eat his money.

Where is a camera that could excite the photographer that isn't a collector? I'm not poor making over $200K per year but I wouldn't consider any of these cameras. I hope Nikon offers a digital range finder. Leica will not survive in the long run with this strategy in my opinion. That is too sad.:(

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Mat. So let's kick it in a different direction.

Good Lord: Leica has just announced a DSLR that goes right smack dab in the middle between the ultimate Canon and a Hasselblad. Yes, it will cost a million zillion quatrillion dollars. No, it's not for the likes of us (probably.) But will it find a professional clientele? Yes. And will the Leica S dramatically increase Leica's relevance? I would bet yes.

Okay, now let's skip over the M8.2. It's not the M9. It's a decent mid-cycle upgrade.

But a 21 f/1.4? Cool! And a 24 f/1.4? Wow. Yes, incredibly expensive. Leica is in the expensive camera business. I may not be able to afford a $6,000 fast wide. But for cryin' out loud: give the company its proper due for doing something pretty dramatic, both for us M lovers, and for others.

I don't like jumping on people for their threads, but I have to say with this one: let's not start kicking Leica at a moment when they genuinely are doing some cool (albeit too expensive for many of us) things!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The S2 shows that Leica has a bit of ticker in it, sure only few will be able to afford it, but studio guys, pro wedding guys etc will lap it up both for the files and bragging rights. Walk up to a client with the S2 and they will be impressed. I personally am not fussed about it as I don't have a need but for those that want or need one, enjoy it will be a brilliant tool to use.

Then again I can see how a lot of people are and still will be pissed off with Leica's offerings............ shrug. A better M would have been nice, well next time, so be it

Didn't you sell all your Leica gear?

Haven't you moved on.

Yes, but I was hoping for a CL like digital. Something using a new better sensor and technology. For example taking the micro 4/3rds but making a range finder with it. Priced under $2K. I think the M8 will not survive except for the collectors hence I sold mine. Something more modern with high quality lenses is another story provided they were not priced through the stratosphere.

I agree with Mat. So let's kick it in a different direction.

Good Lord: Leica has just announced a DSLR that goes right smack dab in the middle between the ultimate Canon and a Hasselblad. Yes, it will cost a million zillion quatrillion dollars. No, it's not for the likes of us (probably.) But will it find a professional clientele? Yes. And will the Leica S dramatically increase Leica's relevance? I would bet yes.

Okay, now let's skip over the M8.2. It's not the M9. It's a decent mid-cycle upgrade.

But a 21 f/1.4? Cool! And a 24 f/1.4? Wow. Yes, incredibly expensive. Leica is in the expensive camera business. I may not be able to afford a $6,000 fast wide. But for cryin' out loud: give the company its proper due for doing something pretty dramatic, both for us M lovers, and for others.

I don't like jumping on people for their threads, but I have to say with this one: let's not start kicking Leica at a moment when they genuinely are doing some cool (albeit too expensive for many of us) things!

The concern is where is their income going to come from until Summer 2009 (assuming no slippage on delivery date)? From selling the high priced fast primes? From M8.2 sales? From upgrades? And how are dealers going to react if they feel they are cut out of the gravy train that the few high end shooters would buy or rent? I am disappointed because I would like to see Leica stay around but they need to pay the bills between now and next summer. THERE IS NOTHING DRAMATIC about the M8.2. And while the vaporware S2 would be dramatic if you could get one today, by next summer Canon or Nikon will have an offering that is better in some ways, worse in others but at a fraction of the price. Let's face it an announcement 9 months in advance of delivery is still vaporware.

Guest joewehry

Disappointing? Leica's employee can be proud of their accomplishments in bringing the S system and M update and lenses to light. They boast some amazing features, and photographers will pick the tool that fits them best.

But frankly, from someone whose income for ten years didn't equal John's annual salary, I am bored with the attitude behind the question "Where is a camera that could excite the photographer...?"

Honestly, where are the photographs that excite the viewer?

The S2 shows that Leica has a bit of ticker in it, sure only few will be able to afford it, but studio guys, pro wedding guys etc will lap it up both for the files and bragging rights. Walk up to a client with the S2 and they will be impressed. I personally am not fussed about it as I don't have a need but for those that want or need one, enjoy it will be a brilliant tool to use.

Then again I can see how a lot of people are and still will be pissed off with Leica's offerings............ shrug. A better M would have been nice, well next time, so be it

WOW! Positive post from ya. I am impressed!

PS: No offense:)

John,

You should retitle your post, "Overall Disappointing Photokina for Barjohn". Clearly the company didn't roll out the gear you feel you're entitled to. I'd suggest using some of that $200K a year (who the hell feels compelled to boast like that?) to schedule a sit down with Mr. Kaufman, with whom you can talk about your fancy cars and your extensive business expertise, both of which you've referenced numerous times in your previous posts. Maybe you can convince him to release a camera which allows you to tell everyone that you own a Leica which you can demonstrate is completely capable of Elph-worthy photography.

Sorry, John, if this comes off as harsh, but you went from mildly annoying to pompous troll status in my book with this last post of yours. Go find a camera company you like, will you?

And in the meantime, stick to bluetooth headsets.

Etherfam,

Boy no one can have a negative opinion on this forum without you fanboys just jumping in. My only point in stating income was to say it isn't because I can't afford the camera, which I obviously could since I purchased one, but that would have been your next negative personal attack, but because I don't think the value is there and smart people don't throw their money away just for the prestige of a red or black dot. Apparently prestige is the most important thing to you. That is ok, I won't fault you for that but don't fault me because it isn't for me.

Kent10D,

I couldn't agree with you more. However with the exception of a few standout photographers like Sean Reid, Bill Parsons, Guy Manusco, I haven't seen that much to be excited about. I am in it for pure personal pleasure so I don't include myself.

I can't afford the S2 or any of the new fast lenses but that does not mean I am disappointed. This isn't about me but about Leica's direction and I for one don't think it makes any sense for them to compete with Cosina. I may not be able to buy the 21mm f/1.4 this year but am glad I have that choice.

Guest darkstar2004

Hmmm....

After seeing all of the new toys, I thought Photokina was an absolute blockbuster for Leica. I guess I was wrong.

All the new caneras & lenses are exciting, although I won't be buying any of them unless it rains gold bricks in my back yard. Still, I'm glad to have those new toys available, just in case it does rain gold bricks in my back yard.

Closer to home, today I picked up my third roll of Fuji Velvia which was shot thru my new Noctilux, purchased last month.

Oh, lordy! :D

WOW! Positive post from ya. I am impressed!
:D :D :D

Nah I still reckon the M8 is a disappointment as needing the filters and it's all too frequent holidaying in Germany. That's why the Epson suits me, I can shove on old screw lenses with a adapter and just shoot(800-1600) and PP.

Yea Leica are missing a good solid no frills rangefinder to sell, but I ain't as I have the epson:)

.......and as for the Panaleicapocketfullofnoise..

Hopefully one of my over enthusiastic spare cash students will buy a S2 and I get to play with it