Oh Darn a line

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got my camera back today. I actually went into work just to get it even though I'm still sick with the flu (No one in the office wanted to be close to me).

Everything is checkinig out OK.

BUT, and you knew there would be a BUT, there is a finger print on the inside of the viewfinder window. Not really noticeable from the working side of the camera but when I go to clean the front windows I can see it in the lower left, looking from the front of the camera, of the windows.

I'll take care of that myself sometime in the future when it starts to really bug me.

At least now if focuses and frames correctly.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my camera back today. I actually went into work just to get it even though I'm still sick with the flu (No one in the office wanted to be close to me).

Everything is checkinig out OK.

BUT, and you knew there would be a BUT, there is a finger print on the inside of the viewfinder window. Not really noticeable from the working side of the camera but when I go to clean the front windows I can see it in the lower left, looking from the front of the camera, of the windows.

I'll take care of that myself sometime in the future when it starts to really bug me.

At least now if focuses and frames correctly.

Ed, if I were you I would call Leica NJ and email Stephan Daniel asking them to organize to pick up your camera at your home and to lend you a camera (for free) until your camera comes back.

This is not acceptable.

Ed, if I were you I would call Leica NJ and email Stephan Daniel asking them to organize to pick up your camera at your home and to lend you a camera (for free) until your camera comes back.

This is not acceptable.

ArtZ I agree but if I did this would be the 3rd time this camera has gone back to NJ for something in less then a month and a half. A total of six trips to and from NJ

Seeing as I've cleans the sensor, spotless, installed GripTac covering, yes as soon as I saw the the RF was in good working order I changed the covering, and tested all my lenses on it I'll just do it myself. That way I can do it in half an hour and know it's done correctly and not have to worry about NJ Screwing something else up.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Add me to the list of people with a vertical line in their M8. I noticed it when i saw a white pixel on my display that wasn't visible on my compyuter screen. After closer inspection i found the dreaded line :(

What has been happening lately? Does Leica repair these camera's for free after the warranty period has expired?

Add me to the list of people with a vertical line in their M8. I noticed it when i saw a white pixel on my display that wasn't visible on my compyuter screen. After closer inspection i found the dreaded line :(

What has been happening lately? Does Leica repair these camera's for free after the warranty period has expired?

Hans,

I should think that the very least they would do would be to offer a handsome contribution to any repair cost (about 75% would be about right). Leica's obligations under European Law may extend somewhat beyond the strict guarantee terms, which is alluded to in the phrase (nothing in this guarantee may affect your statutory rights or words to that effect). For a camera at the very high cost of the M8, to become faulty due to deterioration of a basic component or late appearance of a manufacturing defect, would under EU consumer protection law, almost certainly be regarded as the manufacturer's liability, which extends to 6 years after purchase for most items. See here for more detailed (cold damp cloth round the forehead + large glass of wine required during reading) information http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/CSD_2007_EN_final.pdf

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And another one....

Bought 12/06, one of the first with the replaced circuit boards right out of the factory.

Darn line showed up a few months ago, the good news being that it is in the far left lower corner.

Sent to Leica NJ, which today reported that the CCD would have to be replaced for....drum roll please...$1,200.00 (!) to correct the problem.

I'm not making this up.

I can almost buy two D-Lux 4s for that. Good thing that there are no darn lines appearing in photos taken with my M7, MP, R-D1 or R9. But the sound that you can hear if you listen closely is my teeth grinding.

Haven't decided yet whether to fix it or shelve it or live with the line. Suggestions?

DWA

And another one....

Bought 12/06, one of the first with the replaced circuit boards right out of the factory.

Darn line showed up a few months ago, the good news being that it is in the far left lower corner.

Sent to Leica NJ, which today reported that the CCD would have to be replaced for....drum roll please...$1,200.00 (!) to correct the problem.

I'm not making this up.

I can almost buy two D-Lux 4s for that. Good thing that there are no darn lines appearing in photos taken with my M7, MP, R-D1 or R9. But the sound that you can hear if you listen closely is my teeth grinding.

Haven't decided yet whether to fix it or shelve it or live with the line. Suggestions?

DWA

Yes, it's called the clone/healing brushes in PS. :p

Seriously though that sucks. I'm sure it will happen to both of mine once out of warranty too (I had it on my first body which was replaced by Leica). I probably wouldn't pay for a fix though and just live with it.

Call Leica NJ and ask to speak to the president, Roger Horn, and point him to this thread and many other post on this forum about this line in the sensor problem.

This is a KNOWN PROBLEM and should be fixed at NO CHARGE.

It is clearly a flaw in either the sensor or the electronics board that is mounted to the sensor.

I'm just waiting for it to happen to one of my M8's AGAIN, as it has happened to both of them (One of them being a brand NEW camera that was sent to me as a replacement for one they couldn't fix).

I'll will be raising holy hell if they try to charge me for a line in the sensor.

And another one....

I'm not making this up.

DWA

....and when you speak to Roger Horn, keep muttering "class action suit, class action suit". Apple gave in on iPod screens and they don't come more hard nosed than Apple. I agree with Ed, this looks very like a design/manufacturing flaw by Kodak and unless Leica has granted them an indemnity on a price break for the sensors or Kodak can prove that it is due to poor voltage control etc, it is Kodak who should ultimately pick up the bill. As mine is one of the earliest M8's, I am waiting for a line to appear. I just hope it does before my one year warranty extension runs out.

Wilson

i do not think any guarantee limitation is legally valid in Europe in a case like this, Wilson.

Nor does Leica, as proven by the Digilux2 case.

Jaap,

I was thinking more of our USA based friends - the home of the class action suit. I think I covered the EU situation in a post above, where I gave a link to the EU directive. In the EU we have a very good case for an inherent 6 year coverage. I well remember the D2 sensor saga, as I was one of the earliest people to suffer this in September 2005.

Wilson

I think many manufacturers have a goodwill policy where a contribution will be made towards repairs. I had a £3500 component replaced free of charge in a 6 year old Mercedes last year, well outside the warranty.

Difficult to know what the level of sensor replacement on the M8 is and how it compares with other vendors and also how CCD compares to CMOS but I do wonder whether Kodak quality control (which is where the buck ultimately stops) is up to the job.