Oh Darn a line

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can add me to this list also. I only had the sensor replaced in June this year for the same problem, now I see the line has plainly appeared since FW 2.0 at ISO 1250 & 2500. Granted it's not in the original position as the one in June but annoying none the less. Seems more obvious is shadow detail. :mad:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after sending in my black M8 twice for a rangefinder problem that Leica couldn't seem to fix they sent me brand new black M8.

Now this new one has the line problem. These images show it clearly at 1250 and 2500 but you can see it at 640 and 320 also.

[ATTACH]103931[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]103932[/ATTACH]

Funny thing is the line doesn't go all the way to the top of the images.

I noticed it because on the LCD screen there is a bright spec at one pixel in all the images that moves with the image when zoomed in but really isn't noticeable on my computer screen.

Maybe I'm just not supposed to have 2 M8's

This new one is SPOT on with the rangefinder and the shutter release is smooth.

Now I'll have to contact Leica again and see what can be done.

Sorry shootist, I had exactly same problem. I had exchanged body. If you look closer you can actually see at all iso speed. Use black back ground for test.

I do`nt know what is wrong with Leica ... are they too busy for M8 upgrade???? They can not repair anything right any more???? I feel like I will apply for Job at Leica Germany repair section so I can repair mine 100% perfect!!!

Hmmm - I'm forwarding the link to this thread to Leica Service - it seems that there's a problem. Not sure on the chicken / egg sequence here. Is FW 2.0 making us notice the problem at high ISO because of changes in the the way it re-writes the pre-view, or is it actually exacerbating the problem? I think it has to be the former, as I've been able to go back through the archive and have seen the problem in earlier images... But I think Leica should now about this...

Just what they want to hear at the end of a busy Photokina and at the beginning of the up-grade cycle - but maybe they should be checking all sensors on any cameras that are coming through to minimise the negative of this issue.

I do`nt know what is wrong with Leica ... are they too busy for M8 upgrade???? They can not repair anything right any more???? I feel like I will apply for Job at Leica Germany repair section so I can repair mine 100% perfect!!!

If you can repair yours "100% perfect" then why apply for a job at Leica? Just go ahead and repair it 100% perfect... :D and then, please, show us how you did it - I am sure many on the forum would love to know! :rolleyes:

My god I can't take it anymore. I used the afflicted camera yesterday and can see the line in almost every shot, even at ISO 320. Here another image of it @ 1250.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So I'm now writing my letter to Leica service and sending the camera in for repair.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you can repair yours "100% perfect" then why apply for a job at Leica? Just go ahead and repair it 100% perfect... :D and then, please, show us how you did it - I am sure many on the forum would love to know! :rolleyes:

I need to be trained before I can do the jobs. I need special jigs and computer connection interface and special adjustment software.

I am saying If I was working for Leica service DPT. I will check all the functions B4 send it off to customer. It seems they do`nt really check it one by one even when they are new from factory(remember the little card in the each M8 signed by person who checked them?)

Leica used to have many many good craftsman.(eg Don in USA) Or ( My teacher in Pentax Japan) !!!!

I just can not believe Leica can not do better than Japanese company!!!!

I hope they make money and hire more people to do the repair and research!

:cool:

Bummer isn't it - it's visible at ISO 160 too...The shot below is a crop at 200 percent. Image was taken with a cap on the body - manual at 1/60th - the strong white lines were to make the area - it's around 2/3rds of the height of the frame, starting at the bottom. Consistent across all images. I can't give images to clients with this kind of damage. :(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Send it in Chris. This problem may well start appearing after the warranty period. I wonder what the cost would be then?

I wonder if the repair at the factory will be permanent?

Jeff

I wonder about this since one of my cameras is approaching the 2 years. I've now had 3 M8s through my hands which have shown the line problem. In all cases it showed up on new cameras, it didn't appear after some time. Although with the camera I have now I get the impression it's worse if the camera hasn't been used for some days and then becomes less noticeable after the camera is used again.

I'm curious why Leica don't seem to be able to identify bad cameras at test - otherwise what does the signed test certificate count for?

Bob.

You can add me to this list also. I only had the sensor replaced in June this year for the same problem, now I see the line has plainly appeared since FW 2.0 at ISO 1250 & 2500. Granted it's not in the original position as the one in June but annoying none the less. Seems more obvious is shadow detail. :mad:

So the problem has appeared again, 3 months after fixing it?

If it is a sensor problem then the repair cost may be being born by Kodak.

Obviously we cant keep sending cameras in every few months.

Jeff

My camera is boxed, labeled and waiting for UPS to show up.

I also talked to Sarah at Leica NJ and she will take care of it, hopefully.

My chrome M8 is fine and that is a much earlier serial number. So it seems there is no rhime or reason to this problem.

Sarah said that a tech went over the camera before it was shipped to me. But I guess he never took a shot at 640 or above and or never looked at them in detail.

So the problem has appeared again, 3 months after fixing it?.....

Yes it has appeared again on the new sensor after the FW 2.0 update, Checking older images shot with FW 1.201 and the new sensor the line can't be found. .... Strange, but hey! now I can't even downgrade to the older firmware

.... Obviously we cant keep sending cameras in every few months..

LOL, speak for your self, :D , If this has to go back again to solms, it will be it's 5th trip back to the factory in 20 months. I'll be doing some more testing over the weekend to see how much this will effect the images and the extent it's visible at various ISO's before I contact Leica CS.

Either way, I'll be looking for some sort of assurance from them that this is not going to be an ongoing issue with my camera after my warranty runs out in November. :mad:

Yes it has appeared again on the new sensor after the FW 2.0 update, Checking older images shot with FW 1.201 and the new sensor the line can't be found. .... Strange, but hey! now I can't even downgrade to the older firmware

LOL, speak for your self, :D , If this has to go back again to solms, it will be it's 5th trip back to the factory in 20 months. I'll be doing some more testing over the weekend to see how much this will effect the images and the extent it's visible at various ISO's before I contact Leica CS.

Either way, I'll be looking for some sort of assurance from them that this is not going to be an ongoing issue with my camera after my warranty runs out in November. :mad:

well this is the thing, isn't it-pretty obvious that this is a defect in the sensor or the circuitry, it is intermittent, (for me) appears after time, so any "fix" has to be tempered against future failures. Since Leica never explains what the issue is, when they say they "fix" the camera they are not admitting whether or not they are responsible for the "cause." So there is this grey area where it is left to wear and tear or something like that, when clearly it isn't that at all.

The other ironic thing is that if others are like me, they have suffered through this for several months and NOT sent the camera in because of the reputation of Leica repair to take eons to fix cameras. So it appears to them that the failure rate is probably lower than it really is.

So three or four lenses later (aka 10-15K invested) in a system and you have no idea what is going to happen, if the new 8.2 has this resolved, in which case you'd be inclined to dump the chump and upgrade, taking the loss just to be over it, and then thinking well maybe someone wants to buy my noct so I can fund a backup system!:)

oy,.

fwiw, I had this before the firmware upgrade, exactly the same.

Is anyone confident this wont be seen in the new m8.2?

I would hope they have sorted out all the bugs, and I do mean all of them, in the M8.2 and future M8C's. Not really sure if the M8C is still in production and if it is how long they will be producing it.

This is such an age old problem too! I was one of the first reporting the problem with my M8 a very long time ago; at the time only a few of us were reporting the issue as most of the other flaws on top of everyones list were the green blobs and sudden death. I had always thought that the vertical line problem must be happening on other cameras but that users either didn't look close enough, were shooting jpgs (which compress'd out the line), or didn't have good enough monitors to see the lines. I hope everyone who has this problem gets their cameras repaired within their 2yr warranty. Mine was sent back to NJ a year and a half ago and I was quickly sent a replacement. So far I have not seen any new "vertical lines" appearing in my shots but it's very disheartening to hear that has appeared suddenly in some cameras. I had always thought that mine was flawed from the factory.