Why not UV/IR built-in?

bull40

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You may not agree with somebody else’s decisions, beliefs, conclusions, or whatever, and to say so shouldn’t (and probably wouldn’t) upset anyone. Questioning their rationality, motives, or integrity, on the other hand, is a sure-fire way of getting into trouble. And it gets you exactly nowhere, except when you want to pick a fight.

Thank you Michael

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as most people I come in contact with are pretty much oblivious to the whole Leica mythology and mystique

Indeed true. Initially I thought the thing would attract attention from the thieving community but it seems to be of 0 interest to them and indeed to the rest of the world. And no it is not taped or camouflaged - the red dot is there for everyone to see.

Maybe 5x in the past year have I had remarks like 'hey a Leica' & even then it was more like nostalgia than anything else.

Still using film are we? How cute. Dinosaur.

I'm sure the decision does not seem illogical to you, or you wouldn't have made it, but that does not mean that another person should not be just as justified in seeing it as illogical, and why should you get upset just because someone disagrees with you?

Best Wishes, Gerry

I quite agree. The problem is that people don't generally say, "the decision to buy an M8 would be illogical for me." What they say, or imply, is that the decision is illogical for everyone. That's when the fireworks start.

Enjoy Pink Floyd.

Cheers,

Steve-

No shame here, that's for sure. Despite all of the other wonderful Leica lenses I've owned and used over the years, I love my Cron, and use it at least 75% of the time. It seems so many of my fondest memories have been lived while looking through that lens. But, I think we're getting a bit off topic again.

Best,

John

You may not agree with somebody else’s decisions, beliefs, conclusions, or whatever, and to say so shouldn’t (and probably wouldn’t) upset anyone. Questioning their rationality, motives, or integrity, on the other hand, is a sure-fire way of getting into trouble. And it gets you exactly nowhere, except when you want to pick a fight.

Well I'll go with integrity (and I'm sure I didn't question anyones integrity) but I don't see why I should consider someone to have made an irrational decision, or consider that their motives might not be what they state, one again I am not aware that I actually did that.

Anyway, this has got way too OT, and Pink Floyd was great as always, RIP Richard Wright

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still using film are we? How cute. Dinosaur.

Stephen,

Ich bin ein filmdinosaurier. And proud of it!

Actually it has helped my portraiture business image with an avant-garde retro-cool cachet. (Whatever the hell that means!) As I choose to use film, and market accordingly, I set myself apart from what has now become the digital norm or even cliche. It works for me.

Cheers,

John

Bull: the basic answer is that a thicker internal IR filter would, in fact, cause far more optical problems than one in front of the lens.

See: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/10054-why-leica-did-what-they-did.html

The Epson R-D1 had a full-thickness "SLR"-derived IR filter - caused horrible reflections even in daylight with short wide-angle lenses of the Leica/rangefinder type. Far more of a problem than blurring or resolution loss, actually.

I have yet to see an optical engineer question Leica's choice, or prove them wrong with counterexamples.

Stephen,

Ich bin ein filmdinosaurier. And proud of it!

Actually it has helped my portraiture business image with an avant-garde retro-cool cachet. (Whatever the hell that means!) As I choose to use film, and market accordingly, I set myself apart from what has now become the digital norm or even cliche. It works for me.

Cheers,

John

Congrats!!!! I can still remember loading film in my Nikons to take pics of my wife's first and only gliding trip. Ik worked wonderfully. Same applies to loading film in the M2 just click and stop worrying about anything else in the world because that is all it does. It is like a lesson in relaxation, a sort of mantra. The M2 is just as old as I am - I love that thing. Live long and be happy!

I will continue to use my film Nikons, M2 and other film related stuff occasionally. But I'm afraid nowadays it is mainly the M8.

I quite agree. The problem is that people don't generally say, "the decision to buy an M8 would be illogical for me." What they say, or imply, is that the decision is illogical for everyone. That's when the fireworks start.

I totally agree with you, that's true, but on the other hand it's true that here so many forum members don't loose a moment to start a clash. And as soon as someone doesn't use "silky" words to write or argue its points, it's like he suddenly looses his right to be treated respectfully and gently. Something like "ehy man!You won't have a second chance in this town!".

I believe that sometimes some rude words may just fit, sometimes not.

(For my way of behaving and thinking, most of times they don't).Nevermind.

Note:

I'm generally speaking, and not referring to this thread in particular. I love the Photo Forum "mood"for example, and sometimes I miss that mood in this section of the forum.

I hope no one could be offended by my words, it's just my personal realization, and I wanted to share it with you all.

"The solution of utilizing UV/IR filters that are attached on the lenses does not reduce image quality since the filter is located outside of the optical system" (quoted from Leica M8's FAQ)

This sound to me a little bit rash. It's obvious that even if neutral and outside of the optical system, as soon as a piece of glass appears in front of a lens it "becomes" somehow part of the optical system too.:cool:

Anyway I see those reflections and ghost images appeared in thousands of my pictures as quality degrade as well:rolleyes:

I accept the fact that there's not a fast solution to this if I want to use a DRF system today, so I bear this filters' trouble. Frankly, I couldn't work with another camera!

I totally agree with you, that's true, but on the other hand it's true that here so many forum members don't loose a moment to start a clash.

I suppose that's because this forum is just a microcosm of humanity and, judging by conditions around the planet, it would unfortunately appear our species seems wired more for war than for peace. That's my pessimistic side speaking.

I suppose that's because this forum is just a microcosm of humanity and, judging by conditions around the planet, it would unfortunately appear our species seems wired more for war than for peace. That's my pessimistic side speaking.

I couldn't disagree:( , but I like to think that you have an optimistic side indeed;)

Guest DuquesneG
"The solution of utilizing UV/IR filters that are attached on the lenses does not reduce image quality since the filter is located outside of the optical system" (quoted from Leica M8's FAQ)

This sound to me a little bit rash. It's obvious that even if neutral and outside of the optical system, as soon as a piece of glass appears in front of a lens it "becomes" somehow part of the optical system too.

Before the M8, Leica also took the official position that a filter in front of the lens degraded its performance. Since the M8, it has become an inconvenient truth ;)

Before the M8, Leica also took the official position that a filter in front of the lens degraded its performance. Since the M8, it has become an inconvenient truth ;)

This is the official Leica position:

"The Leica filters for the Leica M system are made of optically pure glass, parallel plane ground and precisely annealed, so the full performance of the Leica M lenses is retained even with a filter attached. The range is purposely limited to the filters most commonly needed in photographic practice."

I believe what you are confusing here is the Leica position on using non-Leica filters.

The point being that a filter on the sensor would cause far more problems than one in front of the lens.

To the best of my knowledge - I haven't owned them all - the only lens that came with a recommendation not to use filters was the Noctilux. Much as I prefer not to use a filter it is the lesser of two evils, and for many of us who shot b&w film a filter of some description was more or less mandatory most of the time.

Would I prefer not to use filters? Yes I would, but it's an acceptable compromise IMHO.

I've never before heard that their official position was once that a filter would degrade the lens performance. Where is this from?

Brent, the instruction booklet that came with the Noctilux came with a note that the use of filters was not recommended. But I always assumed that was because of the possible negative effect on vignetting.

Brent, the instruction booklet that came with the Noctilux came with a note that the use of filters was not recommended. But I always assumed that was because of the possible negative effect on vignetting.

That would also be my assumption, since the lens vignettes wide open from just the lens barrel and hood.

That would also be my assumption, since the lens vignettes wide open from just the lens barrel and hood.

Yep! And I love that vignetting!

I would like to know if the Leica's statement on the most common filters used in photography is good for UV/IR filters too, since they're not that common (except for M8's users)

In the first M8's FAQ it's been already clarified by Leica, but since that's an absorption filter maybe something's to be revised. Even just the effect on the colour range... And that's for me not just a matter of "taste" or an impression, we're talking about image fidelity.