M8 upgrade - prices from Leica's website

stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica have posted the latest costs of the various M8 upgrades here...

Leica Camera AG - Service - m8upgrade

Shutter/Sapphire glass/Bright line frames 1320,- EUR

Shutter/Sapphire glass 1120,- EUR

Shutter/Bright line frames 1000,- EUR

Sapphire glass/Bright line frames 950,- EUR

Bright line frames 650,- EUR

Shutter 800,- EUR

Sapphire glass 750,- EUR

Prices include VAT and expect to be available from the begining of next month.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... and despite my carping about the separation of the shutter re-cock, the audio recordings of the new shutter make me feel very tempted. At GBP roughly 1000 per body and with the warranty extension, it makes a degree of sense. I suppose the critical question will be what the trade in for an M8.1 against an M8.2 is going to be....

Full info on the M8.2 now on the Leica UK site also, including audio comparisons of the two different shutter sounds.

The shutter plus the frames seems tempting: would solve my two major peeves against the M8 after years with M4, M6 and M7: I really do not like the un-M-like vibration of the camera at shutter release and the frustratingly useless frames at 75mm

What about the SDHC though? (Not too much of an issue for me, or would they throw that in silently ..ssssh :rolleyes: )

I suspect they have to change the whole LCD screen and not just the glass cover OR they have to diassemble the camera and the take the cover off then replace it.

I think to real cost in Dis & Re assembly.

When I enquired about replacing my scratched screen with a new one, still of the old style, I was told the screen is part of the rear shell of the camera and not a separate part. In other words, your camera is getting a new rear casting with the screen fitted.

Robert

The shutter plus the frames seems tempting...

What about the SDHC though? (Not too much of an issue for me, or would they throw that in silently ..ssssh :rolleyes: )

They've always said that the SDHC could be handled in firmware. There hasn't been a firmware release for many months, but I can see that they have had quite a bit to do testing the 8.2 upgrades. I would expect that one version of firmware will suit all models 8.0 to 8.2 -- it would be expensive to do otherwise and the first part of the firmware today makes several tests which can affect action downstream -- so we may get that feature without having to do the upgrade.

scott

edit: (The other thing I'd like to get by mere firmware upgrade is the delayed shutter cocking, but Sean Reid elsewhere on this forum says that is not likely.)

The shutter plus the frames seems tempting: would solve my two major peeves against the M8 after years with M4, M6 and M7: I really do not like the un-M-like vibration of the camera at shutter release and the frustratingly useless frames at 75mm

SDHC for M8 and M8.2 via new firmware to be released this month.

Cheers,

Sean

They've always said that the SDHC could be handled in firmware. There hasn't been a firmware release for many months, but I can see that they have had quite a bit to do testing the 8.2 upgrades. I would expect that one version of firmware will suit all models 8.0 to 8.2 -- it would be expensive to do otherwise and the first part of the firmware today makes several tests which can affect action downstream -- so we may get that feature without having to do the upgrade.

scott

edit: (The other thing I'd like to get by mere firmware upgrade is the delayed shutter cocking, but Sean Reid elsewhere on this forum says that is not likely.)

Hi Scott,

Beyond "not likely" actually, not currently offered as an upgrade option.

Cheers,

Sean

scott

Scott:

I just double checked a PM I got on another forum mentioning the September 23rd release date and the delayed shutter cocking was not mentioned in it. Just auto ISO and SDHC.

Robert

Beyond "not likely" actually, not currently offered as an upgrade option.

It surprised me too, but It's always possible that it will be offered at a later date.

It may be something that can only be done with a change in hardware. If the shutter doesn't currently trigger a switch when it's released then the camera wouldn't know when to re-cock the shutter.

It surprised me too, but It's always possible that it will be offered at a later date.

It may be something that can only be done with a change in hardware. If the shutter doesn't currently trigger a switch when it's released then the camera wouldn't know when to re-cock the shutter.

What's surprised me is that according to Sean Reid's information from Leica (on Sean's Review site) the re-cock separation isn't even possible if you upgrade the shutter. THAT I really don't get. Maybe it's a mistake? I've written to Leica direct to see if it's possible to get clarification. WITH the framelines / shutter / delayed re-cock I'm definitely a customer for upgrade on both of my bodies. Without the re-cock delay I'm less sure. :mad: