M8 upgrade - prices from Leica's website

stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I spoke to Leica Solms, they said I could not leave my camera there for the upgrade when I drive past next Friday. Thanks a lot Leica - that is really customer orientated service.

Wilson, I'm sure that is a misunderstanding!

I was invited by Ms. Andrea Frankl (professional Customer Care) to leave my camera in their labs until October 1st to get the shutter upgraded. Unfortunately I need my camera sooner for some shooting sessions so I couldn't wait that long leaving it there, and there was no way to get the shutter before that period. I guess they should have intended your question as to leave the camera there and get it upgraded before October (maybe).

Otherway, since I was in almost the same situation, I can't think of nothing else but a commercial strategy by Leica U.K dealer (but I'd be glad to be wrong)!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wilson, I'm sure that is a misunderstanding!

Maurizio,

I wish it was a misunderstanding. I have not kept the email but it said something like "Dear Mr. Laidlaw, I regret it will not be possible for you to leave your camera either with the factory in Solms on the 26th or 27th or at the stand at Photokina for any upgrades" not a lot of room for doubt there. I spoke to service UK on Wednesday and they agreed that was ridiculous, as I am staying in a B&B about 30km from Solms on the Friday night. They were going to have a talk with Solms service and leave a message on my UK mobile but nothing heard back so far. I want my M8 upgraded (and more importantly some of the very early circuitry/chip updated, which I assume must be there as my camera is #302) before I go to the USA in November. I would not really have time to have the upgrade done between coming back from the USA in December and going to the far east in February. It runs out of warranty in December also.

Wilson

Well Wilson it may be a case of how many people have already signed up for the upgrade. If you leave your camera next Friday they may not get to it for months becasue there are already X number of people in front of you.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be without the M8 for 2-3-4-5 months.

About the only thing you can do is buy another M8 or M8.2.

Well Wilson it may be a case of how many people have already signed up for the upgrade. If you leave your camera next Friday they may not get to it for months becasue there are already X number of people in front of you.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be without the M8 for 2-3-4-5 months.

About the only thing you can do is buy another M8 or M8.2.

Ed,

I spoke first to Leica Solms and then Leica UK a few weeks ago and they assured me there was no "signing up" to get on a queue for the upgrade, otherwise, as I was asking how soon I could get the frames and sapphire glass done, I rather assume I would be on any list that exists. If I left the camera at Solms, I would be paying the extra for rapid handling.

Wilson

Ed,

I spoke first to Leica Solms and then Leica UK a few weeks ago and they assured me there was no "signing up" to get on a queue for the upgrade, otherwise, as I was asking how soon I could get the frames and sapphire glass done, I rather assume I would be on any list that exists. If I left the camera at Solms, I would be paying the extra for rapid handling.

Wilson

Well the reason I asked and stated that was in either this thread or another one someone had stated that they called Leica NJ and there was already 100 people signed up for the one or all of the upgrades. Since it was stated that they can only do about 8 of these upgrades a week that would make it 12+ weeks before that person could get his done, IF he signed up that day.

Unless you signed up for them the day, which I think was August 1st, the upgrade signup started.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica stated in their german anouncement that there is no sign up process involved.

One is just advised to check with CS in advance to learn about turnaround times and current workload in the factory.

Oh Ok I didn't know the German end wasn't going with a sign up system.

Seems odd to me becasue on October 2 they could get 100-1000 cameras shipped in. I'd hate to be the person that was on the end of the shipping check in.

"Dear Mr. Laidlaw, I regret it will not be possible for you to leave your camera either with the factory in Solms on the 26th or 27th or at the stand at Photokina for any upgrades"

Wilson, before you huff and puff too much, remember that Photokina is an "all-hands-on-deck" operation, anyone who can speak English is drafted in to help and the Leica stand is reputed to be larger than ever this year. In 2006, they had people from Leica Service there, including the very helpful Herr Wagner. It's a major deal for them.

I'm sure that if you had chosen dates outside Photokina, you would have been able to take the camera in but you would have needed to go to Solmser Gewerbepark, not Oskar Barnack Strasse.