¿¿¿¿¿Upgrade to M8.2 possible??????

Fotomiguel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just receiving letter from leica about the new M8.2.

I find the new improvements of the camera very interesting.

I will love to buy one, but I think that too much money for the moment.

Do you thing that would be possible to upgrade my M8 to M8.2? I would pay about 1500 Euros.

Just thinking.... How many weeks without my M8?:eek:

The Leica press release - twice - mentions the improvements "being applicable" to the M8 as well - at least the shutter, LCD glass and framelines (and the shutter would imply the "S" mode as well - goes with the shutter dial). Leatherette covering, black dot are all simple screwdriver/glue part replacements.

Absolutely nothing on the cost yet, from Leica. They said the program would be clarified after Oct. 1.

Since someone got Leica to make a pure titanium M7 a couple of years ago, I'm sure you can get anything for enough money.

As a guess based on last year's upgrade prices (revised) - Euros1000 will get you the shutter, and the framelines are probably another Euro200. Glass, Euro 500, leatherette 200Euro - complete rebuild into an M8.2 as a pkg (?) something like 1650Euro, maybe. Oh, and a 1 year extension of remaining warranty.

I remember the article but the guy was the kind who can spend more money on 1 camera than you'll spend on housing your entire life :rolleyes: I'm jealous :mad:

Just a little perspective... More than 1/2 the worlds population lives in house that is cheaper then our regular M8... :cool:

I don't expect Leica to offer to upgrade the M8 so that it is all but impossible (without knowledge of serial numbers) to tell the two apart. I'd be surprised if it was possible to upgrade to the new black finish or to the black hot shoe, maybe even the black dot.

I think the upgrade will be to provide M8.2 functionality, not M8.2 cosmetics.

There were thoughts in Solms last year about implementing a "silent" a-la-carte program when capacity would allow, i.e. having your camera converted to black paint etc., whenever capacity would allow. That was told to me when I had one of my bodies in and inquired about black paint.

I would be highly surprised if cosmetic changes could not be done. It has been possible all along, for instance to convert a black camera to chrome and vica versa - at a price.

Sorry, but do cosmetics really matter? The M8 is surely about taking wonderful images and not a statement of fashion. The M system produces the results I want with the M8 as it stands now; sure technical upgrades may be of interest to me if they can improve the scope of my images, but cosmetic improvements would be low on my list of priorities.

That said, everyone to their own opinion; which I fully respect.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Guest kirkmingle

I don't think the black paint body finish and the black accessory shoe will be included in the "standard" M8 upgrade service. The black dot is already available to you. (I even got one for free). But the new shutter, sapphire glass, vulcanite and new firmware will be available shortly I hope.

Sorry, but do cosmetics really matter? The M8 is surely about taking wonderful images and not a statement of fashion. The M system produces the results I want with the M8 as it stands now; sure technical upgrades may be of interest to me if they can improve the scope of my images, but cosmetic improvements would be low on my list of priorities.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

Leather instead of the horrible plastic improves the grip and an engraving individualizes the camera and makes it a bit theft-proof (but harder to sell :()

I don't expect Leica to offer to upgrade the M8 so that it is all but impossible (without knowledge of serial numbers) to tell the two apart. I'd be surprised if it was possible to upgrade ......... to the black hot shoe, .

M8.2 hot shoes ......... could be a great eBay scam !!

"Upgrade to M8.2 .......... $40 only"

Rolo

an engraving individualizes the camera and makes it a bit theft-proof (but harder to sell :()

C'mon, You're a dentist: just take Your turbine and a diamondcoated burr and do the engraving Yourself.

That's even more individual comparesd to what Leica does!

The leather You can get from cameraleather.com

It's really hard for me to justify the expenses for the leather, the glass and the engraving.

Guest kirkmingle

I just recieved a reply from Leica in Solms about M8 upgrades:

They just say: "please have a look to our homepage from tomorrow evening on.

There will be all informations You need about the upgrade. Thanks. Kind regards, M8 Support, Ursula Brand-Gerheim".

So let's wait and see :-)

C'mon, You're a dentist: just take Your turbine and a diamondcoated burr and do the engraving Yourself.

That's even more individual comparesd to what Leica does!

The leather You can get from cameraleather.com

It's really hard for me to justify the expenses for the leather, the glass and the engraving.

Err- yes, I coded some of my lenses that way, and yes, the leather IS from Cameraleather. The engraving was only done when the top cover was exchanged and paid for by insurance.......(and it sure looks nicer that duct tape stuck all over the camera ;)

The very fact that you OWN an M8 rather than a Canon Rebel is a fashion statement.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

The very fact that you OWN an M8 rather than a Canon Rebel is a fashion statement.

Totally disagree. I've used Leica's for just over 40 years (along with other systems) and having built-up a comprehensive range of Leica lenses, it was only logical to go the route of the M8.

Similarly, I will stick with Nikon for an SLR system, because again I have a number of their lenses.

With respect, I cannot believe the Canon Rebel lens is comparable with Leica glass, however, I must admit to never having owned, or used Canon. I can tell you that in my humble opinion Leica glass is superior to Nikon (maybe with the exception of the 70-200 VR) and the Zeiss/Hasselblad combination, both of which I've had a lot of experience with.

Maybe qualify that and say the prints I've produced seem better to me.

Regards, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

With respect, I cannot believe the Canon Rebel lens is comparable with Leica glass...

Regards, Tom

I use a Canon DSLR system for shoots I can't do with the M8, and I can tell you their lenses, IMHO, are not even in the same ballpark with Leica. The pincushion distortion on the wides is ridiculous and the 50/1.2 is significantly less sharp wide open than the Noctilux at f/1.0. The long zooms and primes are pretty good, but there's no M lens in those ranges to compare to.

Not trying to start a lens war here, so remember--I did say, "IMHO."

I use a Canon DSLR system for shoots I can't do with the M8, and I can tell you their lenses, IMHO, are not even in the same ballpark with Leica.

Also IMHO, the Canon lenses that I've used (L lenses...) don't seem to be as sharp into the corners by a large margin compared to Leica. In a print sometimes the center can be as good as Leica, but not the whole image. And I won't even mention how large they are...

Brent / Matt - this is really important. Yes, I want better high ISO performance. But the real bottom line is image quality - and from where I stand and where my clients stand, the Leica does a better than good job in the situations I use it. End of story for me. I'm not chasing major sensor re-size (I don't need it) or really that fussed about high ISO. I'll go for the quieter shutter and re-cock separation - I need that. For the rest, I'm delighted that my M8 will continue to the jobs I bought it for.