M8.2 Price: $6295 / £3990

leica007

Guest DuquesneG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... and there's the issue of how useful in real terms the 5D upgrade is going to be. Do I need to shoot movies? Do I need 21 MP? Do I even really need the higher ISO? The images I get from the 5D suit my needs. So do those from the M8. I might upgrade the M8 because it will give better functionality - not because I'm hunting better IQ. OK - it could be better at 2400 - but this is a speed I pretty well never use. I'm not planning to change my 5D for the foreseeable future...

Me neither. But in fairness, the 5D already is full-frame, doesn't need front IR filters, and runs rings around the M8 in noise control above ISO 400. The M8...and remember, I own two of them...is a spectacular camera, for a first-effort from a company like Leica without Canon's resources or experience, but in comparison to the 5D it has more issues that a lot of people would still like to see addressed.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgive me if this has already been discussed (I haven't found it if so), but...

I notice that there is a new handgrip baseplate available for the M8-2 on Leica's website. Has the baseplate been changed and if so does anyone know how?

I assume that the only change from the M8 handgrip would be the Vulcanite covering. (You'd hardly be happy to shell out for a M8.2 and discover that the only available handgrip was covered in plastic would you? :eek::D )

Pete.

Me neither. But in fairness, the 5D already is full-frame, doesn't need front IR filters, and runs rings around the M8 in noise control above ISO 400. The M8...and remember, I own two of them...is a spectacular camera, for a first-effort from a company like Leica without Canon's resources or experience, but in comparison to the 5D it has more issues that a lot of people would still like to see addressed.

I own two 5Ds and in my opinion my M8 runs rings around them in terms what I consider the crucial aspects of image quality--dynamic range, color quality and accuracy, and noise structure. Additionally, the lenses I can use with the M8 add a texture I can't get with my Canon lenses and they don't suffer the barrel distortions common with the Canon wides. Since I make my living as a photographer, this is not an emotional decision based on brand loyalty (I am even a CPS member). I use the M8 for virtually all of my environmental portrait work for magazine clients because it gives me the best looking images. Period.

Guest DuquesneG
I own two 5Ds and in my opinion my M8 runs rings around them in terms what I consider the crucial aspects of image quality.

Well said. I applaud you for making it clear that this is your personal opinion, not a universal truth.

Well said. I applaud you for making it clear that this is your personal opinion, not a universal truth.

Everything expressed on this forum is personal opinion. It's too bad that not made clear more frequently. Some people like to believe that once words are uttered by them they become factual and the law of the land.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everything expressed on this forum is personal opinion.

I thought that was obvious, Brent. Isn't that the whole point of a forum - to express a personal opinion, when called for? (And to offer constructive advice, when asked, too)

I don't see anyone coming down the mountain with two dirty great tablets of stone under his arms, so it must be :)

I have to ask a question that's been on my mind for a while, and I'm sure has occurred to others, given that your opinion seems to be that Canon SLRs are superior to the M8 in just about all areas. What made you buy not one, but _two_ M8s? Why spend approx. $12.000 on M8s when you could have had a far better body for a fraction of the price?

Runs rings? It's 2x heavier and another 2x bulkier with its lens. How does it runs rings around an M8? And show me a lens like that new summilux @ 21 from Canon, or that new Noctilux.

I've got an orange, and it runs rings around my apples, of which I have two, in terms of bounciness, orangeness.....

How many of you would sell your classic M8 and get a M8.2 ?

Not me I am afraid. Now if I was going to get another body, which I am not, it would seem to make sense to go for an M8-2. I would miss 1/8000th of a second but that is livable with. As I am going to get my current M8 upgraded with LCD and Frames, that together with the 2.0 firmware brings it close enough to the 8-2, not to warrant an expensive exchange. Since my M8 is now close to 2 years old and un-upgraded near the expiry of its warranty, although in good condition, I would not expect to get better than £2,250 at best in exchange against an 8-2, which leaves a gaping hole of £1,750 to meet. Having been told yesterday, I have another wedding to pay for, it is a very definite no-no.

Wilson

I'll update one body, the one I use most and in all circumstances, mainly for the extended warranty. The other body is more of a backup and quick-grab stay at home camera. I tell myself it is less likely to break down. Not the framelines though. I'm used to the current ones and I would not want different lines on different cameras.

No M8-2 for me. I see no advantages in laying down a considerable sum of money to replace something that does not need replacing.

I would not expect to get better than £2,250 at best in exchange against an 8-2, which leaves a gaping hole of £1,750 to meet.

I've assumed that a non-mint M8 is realistically only worth around £1500-1750 and done my sums accordingly. I know most people ask around £2200 for their M8s but does anyone know of good condition (but not mint) M8s actually selling for anything in excess of £2000? There appears to be a glut of them in the buy/sell forum and I was wondering if any are actually selling for the prices asked? Not that I am selling either of mine at the moment but I may consider doing so if the M8.2 ends up eventually being discounted down to the £3K level when Leica realise that nobody is buying them.

I've assumed that a non-mint M8 is realistically only worth around £1500-1750 and done my sums accordingly.

Maybe the difference is in part-exchange versus outright sale.

For a used M8, your £1,750 appears to reflect private sale value. Selling to a dealer will obviously bring less (if indeed they will take it), part-exchange maybe more.

Has anyone sold an M8 to a dealer, without PX, and got a good price ?

Rolo