M8.2 Price: $6295 / £3990

leica007

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What made you buy it, knowing all of it's "faults"?

And, how come there are so many great photographs taken with it? (Not necessarily yours, although I expect that you have taken some great shots with it too...:p )

And finally, how does this embracing of all things digital sit with your adopted stance with respect to Kodachrome?

Well, a very well known shooter who has since parted with the M8's he had said it was ready for prime time. So I took my chances and went for it.

Secondly, it does make for some fantastic images, I have had two page spreads run as ads from it.

And thirdly, I wish I could just shoot nothing but Kodachrome until it is gone, but the fact of the matter is I need to make a living so digital makes that happen. The primary reason I bought the M8 was to use it along side of my film M's loaded with Kodachrome. This has proven much harder than I would have thought since one has to remove the IR filters each time the lens is put on the film M.

I know I would be sad if I sold it, but I want it to work right. I also want Leica to make a profit, so there is that too.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The M8 write speed when compared to the Nikon/Canon DSLR offering is indeed slow. That said I have always viewed the M8 like my well used M4 in terms of shooting speed. In my case I shoot left eyed so I have to slightly drop the M4 and wind the film. At least with the M8 I can get a couple of shots off in the same period of time. If I need the speed the choice would be (in my case) D3/D700 or D300.

Please this is not a defense of the M8 but it is not a fast camera but then shooting with film M isn't exactly fast....

I am sorry the birthday party shots didn't work out - that is a bad feeling for sure.

Best Regards To All. Terry.

Guest DuquesneG

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts once you try doing that with an M8.2, since in addition to the filters, the framelines are calibrated for different focusing distance than the ones in your film Ms.

Last time I looked, I could get 30" high quality prints from the M8.

Last time I was in a dark room/church where no ordinary Joe would expect to get an image, the M8 and f1.4 would capture the image. Like most Canon/Nikon users, i add a flash gun if needed.

Last time I walked out of the door with a small pack camera it wasn't my Canon Pro camera, or my digital Hasselblad.

Last time I used the Hasselblad digital camera on a job, I had to do a quick check to find how far behind the M8 was in terms of image quality. Not far.

Last time I wanted a fast action zoom - Canon; highest print quality - Hasselblad; take anywhere, great quality, nice to own - Leica.

Photographers are doing great work with the M8 and Leica lenses. I'd like to see what kind of work it won't do for some here!

If you want to take hi-res pics of your kids dancing round in the dark, buy a Nikon. They're great.

I think a lot of folks have misunderstood by what I wrote when I said "Locked up".

That does not mean slow write times, it means the kind of lock up when you have to take the battery out to make the red light stop blinking.

I am wondering if Leica can fix this if I send it in for the upgrade.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts once you try doing that with an M8.2, since in addition to the filters, the framelines are calibrated for different focusing distance than the ones in your film Ms.

That won't matter, all my M lenses work fine on fine on my film M's. The 50 is perfect on the M3, 28 and 35 are great on the MP, M6.

It is the framing accuracy on the M8 with the 50 that is bad, the 28 is decent, the 35 is OK, and I suspect this is all a bit over the top because we can now see the discrepancy instantly with the M8.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not IMO. It seems there are a lot of people like you and IMHO people like you will always find something that isn't quite right, falls short, about a Leica Digital M, in fact about any Leica camera. Otherwise at some point in your photography life you would of own a Leica but there was always something that didn't measure up. Whether it was features or cost.

Why should Leica as a company care about pleasing a group of people that are NOT going to buy there product no matter what they come out with at any price.

Then you, as a person that has never owned a Leica camera of any kind, come to this forum and point out to all of use that have bought, enjoyed owning and using at least one, if not many more, Leica cameras that we are all stupid for buying and using a inferior product.

Pleas go take a long walk off a short pier

I don't blame anyone for buying a Leica, it has lots going for it.Top line performance to go with it's top line price is not one of them. Do you seriously think the M8 has a good reputation for reliability, is good at low light work. (Not that the M8 has noise, its film like grain of course). A decent buffer, accurate framing, weather sealing . All things you would take for granted on a pro camera. Of course it can excel in the right hands, in the right conditions. I'm not here to take a pop at those that choose to use a M8, if it works for you then it's the right choice for you. I don't think it is as good as it should be in some fundamental areas, I also think a lot of users think so to. No camera has ever been perfect, but there is "degrees of not perfect" . I would not accept basics failings in a £300. washing machine, let alone a supposedly top of the pile camera. If an M9 had appeared that addressed these issues you would pass it by as not really worth the upgrade? You don't think it should be capable of doing what an "M" has built its reputation on. Go anywhere and produce the best in the worst conditions. I think it has the shape of an M, just not the ability. Does anyone seriously think it walks in the shoes of those that went before it in anything but looks?

As for pleasing people that are not at the moment using Leica, that should be top of their list, or they will not be around to please anybody.

I often take long walks that include Southwold Pier, thanks for the thought anyway.

Kevin.

All things you would take for granted on a pro camera.

Kevin.

Maybe the mistake is classifying it as a 'Pro camera', for it certainly doesn't have the attributes you list. If we were to list the 'Pro cameras' would it get on that list. It seems crazy to me to compare it to the D3.

It's not a 'work' camera and it's not 'photo workers' that buy it. It's a range finder.

The comparison between a Leica SLR and the best that Nikon and Canon offer is likely to take place from next week onwards. That might put the M8.2 in its true perspective and stop the cross-genre comparisons.

If after next week, Leica have the best SLR on the market AND the best RF on the market will it change their standing?

I think a lot of folks have misunderstood by what I wrote when I said "Locked up".

That does not mean slow write times, it means the kind of lock up when you have to take the battery out to make the red light stop blinking.

I am wondering if Leica can fix this if I send it in for the upgrade.

It is my thinking that the lockups are more of a SD card problem. I myself have never had any lockups where I had to take the battery out while I was shooting images and that is with a total of 3 M8's. I have had the camera lock when trying to clean the sensor that needed a battery pull to turn the camera off. But these are very seldom and random.

What kind of cards are you using? Let me guess, Sandisc.

I've only used 2GB 133X Lexar cards. But then I rerallly don't stress the cameras to much. I've only recorded about 13000 shot with the 3 I've had.

I think with the shutter upgrade they will change out some of the electronics. But no one knows at this time. We'll have to wait for Mark Norton to do the upgrade and then disassemble the camera to find out.

It is my thinking that the lockups are more of a SD card problem. I myself have never had any lockups where I had to take the battery out while I was shooting images and that is with a total of 3 M8's. I have had the camera lock when trying to clean the sensor that needed a battery pull to turn the camera off. But these are very seldom and random.

I've only used 2GB 133X Lexar cards. But then I rerallly don't stress the cameras to much. I've only recorded about 13000 shot with the 3 I've had.

I think with the shutter upgrade they will change out some of the electronics. But no one knows at this time. We'll have to wait for Mark Norton to do the upgrade and then disassemble the camera to find out.

And I too, only use the 2GB 133X Lexar cards, never a problem with them, just camera freeze ups any time I shoot a sequence of over 5 shots. And when I say sequence, that does not always mean one after the other in the fastest possible fashion, it could mean one or two shots more before the first one or two are done writing.

I have less than 8K on my M8, still trying to decide what to do. I am applying for a pro repair agreement right now. If I can get some of this stuff looked at and the upgrades done, I might hang onto it.

Guys, I am not totally blasting this camera or Leica. If I were one of those people, I would have sold the M8 many months ago.

And I too, only use the 2GB 133X Lexar cards, never a problem with them, just camera freeze ups any time I shoot a sequence of over 5 shots. And when I say sequence, that does not always mean one after the other in the fastest possible fashion, it could mean one or two shots more before the first one or two are done writing.

I have less than 8K on my M8, still trying to decide what to do. I am applying for a pro repair agreement right now. If I can get some of this stuff looked at and the upgrades done, I might hang onto it.

Guys, I am not totally blasting this camera or Leica. If I were one of those people, I would have sold the M8 many months ago.

How many batteries do you have? Have you ever correlate any one battery with the lockups? Could be you have a out of spec battery that just can't handle the writing of files and the use of the meter and shutter actuation

How many batteries do you have? Have you ever correlate any one battery with the lockups? Could be you have a out of spec battery that just can't handle the writing of files and the use of the meter and shutter actuation

I own three, they all seem to do the same. I could mark the batteries and try to deep cycle them and then give it a go.

Last time I wanted a fast action zoom - Canon; highest print quality - Hasselblad; take anywhere, great quality, nice to own - Leica.

Photographers are doing great work with the M8 and Leica lenses. I'd like to see what kind of work it won't do for some here!

The comparison between a Leica SLR and the best that Nikon and Canon offer is likely to take place from next week onwards. That might put the M8.2 in its true perspective and stop the cross-genre comparisons.

Ah ... words of wisdom in a sorry world.

Case 1:

I've just got back my two entries to the UK National Portrait Gallery Photographic prize (shortlisted but not in the final competition show sadly...). One was taken with M8 + 35 cron. The other with a 5D + 85 1.2. Technically they're both excellent. They didn't make it into the final set because the judgest thought that there were some better photographs from other competitors.

Case 2

I was documenting an Enrico Rava / Stefano Bollani concert for ECM in Manchester (Enrico Rava & Stefano Bollani). Used the M8 + 28 cron asph + a 5D with 85 1.2 + a 40D (shock horror - not a 1 series?:eek: - Sorry I wanted the longer reach with my 70-200 2.8 and I didn't want to hire a 300mm. They're tools. They do jobs). The band, their management and the venue were delighted with the set - and a mix of M8 shots will be used for the next CD liner.

If you want a DRF, Leica's the only show in town - but it's not the only tool for a working photographer.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed (I haven't found it if so), but...

I notice that there is a new handgrip baseplate available for the M8-2 on Leica's website. Has the baseplate been changed and if so does anyone know how?

Ah ... words of wisdom in a sorry world.

Case 1:

I've just got back my two entries to the UK National Portrait Gallery Photographic prize (shortlisted but not in the final competition show sadly...). One was taken with M8 + 35 cron.

Case 2The band, their management and the venue were delighted with the set - and a mix of M8 shots will be used for the next CD liner.

If you want to shot DRF Leica's the only show in town - but it's not the only tool for a working photographer.

Thanks you for illustrating so well the points I was making. This is a small 35mm style camera that knocks out images for submission to the National Portrait gallery ...... not bad testimony.

Reading the posts hitting this Forum, one might think it was unusable following the release of the D3. :rolleyes:

I'm not blinded by the M8, it's had terrible reliability and back focus problems and perhaps few Pros would have it as a single camera system, but it is what it is, and getting angry because Leica hasn't got a full frame solution today will not improve your images.

Very possibly the cards. I never had problems with Sandisks (but I do buy at a reliable outlet) and experienced my first "endless flashing" problem when I tried to format a Danelec card. That one is demoted to the "emergency use only" dept. now...

I'm not blinded by the M8, it's had terrible reliability and back focus problems and perhaps few Pros would have it as a single camera system, but it is what it is, and getting angry because Leica hasn't got a full frame solution today will not improve your images.

I'm not blinded by the M8 either, and in some ways it is a great camera. What is worrying me is the following:

OK lets say for example that the Leica price premium in 2007 was 50% above the rest - just a ball park.

Now in 2008 the premium has increased to lets say 65%.

In 2009 it could be 75%. Where will it settle? Will it always increase? It is the great uncertainty that will prevent me from buying more Leica stuff.

Dont forget that Leica is full of hype: glass that costs more than silver, a lens that is faster than the human eye. Honestly aren't we all being sucked into this?

Jeff

Hype? Glass that costs more than silver - not so impossible - some glass types are VERY expensive I believe, and silver is probably going up but really isn't that costly, but what bearing this would have on overall cost of lenses is very difficult to assess.

It is the escalating price differential which is concerning me (and I suspect many others), and I dont see a reason for it apart from leveraging the brand name.

Jeff

Perhaps some of the increase in price is to cover the (presumably unexpected) cost of the huge number of M8 warranty claims?