M8.2 Price: $6295 / £3990

leica007

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty pricy, but not the most expensive camera out there. The 1DsMark3 still has that title.

My dealer says his rep says stay tuned. While I don't see an M9, I would guess Leica will release a 4/3rds DSLR, similar to Panasonics.

DBK

I would not be at all surprised to see a Leica version of the new Panasonic G1 micro 4/3rd's mirrorless DSLR camera. It would be close to a Digilux 2 update with interchangeable lenses.

Wilson

Guest DuquesneG
Or, in other words, no matter what they set those frame lines at someone will be unhappy. It cannot be otherwise with mechanical frame lines As for the "minority" comment, I'm not sure where your stats come from.

Yes, someone will be unhappy. In fact, everyone who tries going back and forth between an M8.2 and any other M body, M8 or film, is going to be extremely unhappy. In fact, the only people who are going to be happy are those who a) only use M8.2 or upgraded M8, b)almost never shoot closer than 6 ft, and/or c)don't mind remembering to crop loose if they do shoot close, or else cut off part of their subject. If you don't think that represents a minority, then once again we'll have to agree to disagree.

It seems that even Andreas Jürgensen is a bit shocked - perhaps that has prompted him to draw the attention of Leica M8.2 fanboi-s to RED DSLR !!! He has started a whole new thread on that. Point noted, Andreas. ;)

RED "DSLR-killer" /DSMC is quite an exciting project. On the REDUSER forum, I proposed that RED DSMC should be like Leica M [in fact , like my MP:)] - pure photography [ obviously with no M8 like problem, and of course, with far better specs]. So, you see I am still loyal to Leica and nostalgic about 'M'(P).

If I sell my MP and quit Leica forever, that would be a very sad day.:o

Yes, someone will be unhappy. In fact, everyone who tries going back and forth between an M8.2 and any other M body, M8 or film, is going to be extremely unhappy. In fact, the only people who are going to be happy are those who a) only use M8.2 or upgraded M8, b)almost never shoot closer than 6 ft, and/or c)don't mind remembering to crop loose if they do shoot close, or else cut off part of their subject. If you don't think that represents a minority, then once again we'll have to agree to disagree.

By all means, do a survey and see what turns up.

Cheers,

isn't it fair to say that the price of any leica body and lens is somewhat irrelevant in that the resale on ebay, etc, secures a fair amount of the investment for the owner. does it really cost any more than $1000 more to own a leica than some japenese slr over a 2-3 period (or longer for lenses) when the other becomes worthless and you can still dump your m8 for 3k if you keep it clean and you're done taking pics?

btw, not that you could dump it after actually using it, which is why it costs 5k i guess!!

The substantial improvements, to my mind, are:

1. Frame lines set to 2M

2. Quieter, smoother shutter with option to delay cocking

3. New EV comp. controls with finder display

Sean

substantial improvements maybe, although I still see 1. and 2. as correcting major screw-ups in the original design, and I dont use EV comp.

But if I am not mistaken the frame line are Still different to M6/7 etc? i.e. 2m optimisation instead of 1m (or 0.7m of the M8). If this is correct this is just f*** up on top of f*** up IMHO.

I would still have to make mental adjustments when swopping from M7 to M8.2, or even 2 different adjustments if I was stupid enouth to use my M7, M8 and an M8.2

I really, Really hope that I have misunderstood, otherwise this is just pathetic

We're just going to have to agree to disagree that's an improvement. To me it's a rejection of the basic premise that the framelines have been based on since the beginning of the M, to pander to the specific preference of a small but vocal group that bent Leica's ear. It still requires mental estimation at longer distances, plus now it also requires estimation at shorter distances too, in order not to cut off parts of the subject. In addition it will complicate shooting an M8.2 alongside an M8 (or the latter as backup) unless the latter has had the frames changed. And if anyone shoots an M6, MP or M7 along with an M8.2, it will also be incumbent upon the photographer to remember that the framing is calibrated differently. I believe--sincerely--that Leica should offer to back-fit the original framelines at N/C for anyone who buys an M8.2.

I agree, let's make a poll

It's not a no-no at all (except to purists ;)), as the chance of problems is minimal and Leica stands behind their product in that respect anyway.:)

Although I would hesitate to put the camera on a tripod and mount the Visoflex and the full 2.5 kg and 40 cm of Noflexar. Weight towards the front end too...:rolleyes:

Sure £4,000 sounds a lot for a camera but it seems to me that the price for an M8.2 is in the ballpark of an M8 (original price) + full upgrade, which means that Leica is securing M8 owners' investments.

If the price point for for the M8.2 had been similar to the M8 then there would have been a wailing and gnashing of teeth by M8 owners that their investment had been devalued.

Pete.

On that basis Leica will be charging 10k in a few years time for the same old technology just to keep the first buyers happy. 8.2 should of been the same price. Leica need a change of priorities, start building new cameras for photographers that take pictures. Not for bearded technophobes folk to fondle.

Kevin.

Leica need a change of priorities, start building new cameras for photographers that take pictures. Not for bearded technophobes folk to fondle..

Rather a large generalisation there. I don't have a beard and I'm not a technophobe. But I enjoy a fondle as much as the next man.

This may come as a shock, but many of use our M8s to take photographs - and not just of brick walls and newspapers when testing lenses.

Rather a large generalisation there. I don't have a beard and I'm not a technophobe. But I enjoy a fondle as much as the next man.

This may come as a shock, but many of use our M8s to take photographs - and not just of brick walls and newspapers when testing lenses.

I was meaning more how Leica appear to be worried about pushing on with any new ideas in case it upsets the collectors and fondlers. Yes the M8 is capable of good things, but very flawed in important areas, I wonder how much sticking with tradition effects the design. What possible reason would you design a modern camera that has to remove it's baseplate to slip in a paper thin card? the next M innovation will be al carte cow hide and silly metal, not any real improvements.

.2 has added nothing to this camera that adds up to much. The slow pace was fine when dealing with mechanical cameras, now it's just embarrassing, if it had competitive noise performance you would not need the super expensive poser lenses. £3990 for this spec is not for photographers to upgrade or tempt new photographers into the system, it's for the fondlers that "must have".

And I hope the next man enjoys the fondle too.

Kevin.

Do you now or have you ever owned a Leica, Kevin?

No never. I would in a heart beat if I thought it was up to the task, I have and use a film RF, not so much now. I admire Leica and it's contribution to photography. I like the idea of a small quality camera with superb lenses, I have used a M6 fleetingly but not on an assignment. The M8 misses the mark for me on several fronts, I really hoped for an upgrade that dealt with the important failings, i.e decent noise performance, IR issues and if ever a camera was meant for wide angle lenses it's this one, so where are the Leica WA?

Reliability still seams suspect. The price I could live with if it was up to par with the modern equipment it competes with in basic performance.

Kevin.

Originally Posted by andybarton viewpost.gif

Do you now or have you ever owned a Leica, Kevin?

No never. I would in a heart beat if I thought it was up to the task.

The price I could live with if it was up to par with the modern equipment it competes with in basic performance.

Kevin.

Then what the hell are you doing on the Leica camera forums and why in the M8 section.

And what other digital Rangefinder camera does it compete with that it falls so short.

... if ever a camera was meant for wide angle lenses it's this one, so where are the Leica WA? ...

So the:

Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 f/4

Summilux 21 f/1.4

Elmarit 21 f/2.8

Summilux 24 f/1.4

Elmarit 24 f/2.8

Elmar 24 f/3.8

Summicron 28 f/2

Elmarit 28 f/2.8

aren't enough for you, let alone 50 years worth of older LTM and M-mount lenses?