M8.2 Price: $6295 / £3990

leica007

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the previous Noctilux were all sold off, maybe that would give us the indication of Leica's methods and madness.

If the Summarits sold well together with the M8s that would give us an idea of their market if any. Especially when competing against their own existing huge stock of lenses out in the second hand market, CV and Zeiss.

If they end up selling more summiluxes than summarits ......

Other than not having a high ISO performing sensor, I am quite happy with the M8.2. Fits my needs. If they come up with a limited run of ISO 1600 base(1600 to 12800) sensitivity sensors, I would be interested. Rather have a high ISO sensor than a fast lens as I need greater depth of field.

The new fast lenses are expensive but if I see my photographic needs rest in those lenses then I would get them, only if the jobs can pay for it and if I can sufficient keepers with that narrow dof.:D

If the jobs do not, no point dreaming or ranting. Either I take on the jobs at a loss and enjoy the photographic experience or I take on the jobs at a profit and enjoy the photographic experience.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty weak showing. Basically a few new expensive lenses some minor tweaks to the M8 they could have done a long time ago and a couple of Panaliecas at a higher price.

Fools will pay for the cosmetic changes and convince themselves that they are not over priced but really where is the substantive improvements. No wonder their last financial statement indicated that they did not expect much in the way of sales from new products.

I'm sure the new lenses will be superb but so will the price and the sensor just won't justify the price in my opinion.

The substantial improvements, to my mind, are:

1. Frame lines set to 2M

2. Quieter, smoother shutter with option to delay cocking

3. New EV comp. controls with finder display

I don't love the price, of course, and I just got done writing about the other improvements I'd like to see in the camera but those three changes are indeed valuable to me as a professional photographer. I amazed they overlooked the ISO control but I do like those three changes quite a bit. Of course, I wish the camera were less expensive but what else is new? I am glad, however, that many of the changes are available as M8 upgrades. The frame line change alone is a big deal.

Cheers,

Sean

It really is controversial, but it seems they have solved the IR filter problem.

Sein that had a prototype tested testifies he doesn't need those extra IR filters anymore.

I believe that an updated M8 will never be able to get that filter

Do you mean myself or is "Sein" someone else? If me, I never had a camera like that.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest DuquesneG
The substantial improvements, to my mind, are:

1. Frame lines set to 2M

We're just going to have to agree to disagree that's an improvement. To me it's a rejection of the basic premise that the framelines have been based on since the beginning of the M, to pander to the specific preference of a small but vocal group that bent Leica's ear. It still requires mental estimation at longer distances, plus now it also requires estimation at shorter distances too, in order not to cut off parts of the subject. In addition it will complicate shooting an M8.2 alongside an M8 (or the latter as backup) unless the latter has had the frames changed. And if anyone shoots an M6, MP or M7 along with an M8.2, it will also be incumbent upon the photographer to remember that the framing is calibrated differently. I believe--sincerely--that Leica should offer to back-fit the original framelines at N/C for anyone who buys an M8.2.

I know. In general the meaning of the word `additional` has been taken to mean that one must add a filter to get full IR surpression.

It would be sensational if you were right and that alone would justify the extra cost of the M8/2. But until now the sensation has not broken loose....

I don't see where Sean comes into this. As it is, at the end of his M8-2 preview,where there is nothing about this supposed filter, he wishes for an internal IR filter.....

Maybe he means someone else? Yes, I would indeed like an internal IR filter.

Cheers,

Sean

We're just going to have to agree to disagree that's an improvement. To me it's a rejection of the basic premise that the framelines have been based on since the beginning of the M, to pander to the specific preference of a small but vocal group that bent Leica's ear. It still requires mental estimation at longer distances, plus now it also requires estimation at shorter distances too, in order not to cut off parts of the subject. In addition it will complicate shooting an M8.2 alongside an M8 (or the latter as backup) unless the latter has had the frames changed. And if anyone shoots an M6, MP or M7 along with an M8.2, it will also be incumbent upon the photographer to remember that the framing is calibrated differently. I believe--sincerely--that Leica should offer to back-fit the original framelines at N/C for anyone who buys an M8.2.

Or, in other words, no matter what they set those frame lines at someone will be unhappy. It cannot be otherwise with mechanical frame lines As for the "minority" comment, I'm not sure where your stats come from.

It really is controversial, but it seems they have solved the IR filter problem.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but there are no changes whatsoever in this regard between the M8 and M8.2. The IR absorbing filter on the sensor is just as thin as it always was, and you still need additional filters in front of the lens. It is not an ideal solution, but it’s the only solution there is.

Hi Sean,

Would you say that those three improvements warrant an increase in price?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'd have to be an economist with good knowledge of Leica's costs, margins, etc. to answer that question fairly. As a rule, I like lower prices and everything made by Leica tends to be pricy.<G>

But, otherwise I really don't have the expertise to answer the question reliably. People speculate on these kinds of things all the time but without knowing Leica's costs, margins, etc. it really is just speculation. What we can say, individually, is "XYZ camera is worth such and such cost to "me"." We each make the buy/no-buy decision. What price point for the M8 is "fair"? What price point will make the most money, considering a variable volume of units sold, for Leica? The only people who might know those answers work for, or consult to, Leica. I try to make it a rule to never talk out of my hat. Some others have more...um..liberal policies about that process. <G>

Does it cost Leica more to make an M8.2 than an M8? I don't know.

Was the M8 priced appropriately at launch? Now? Again, I don't know.

Are the changes worth enough that I personally will be either doing upgrades or switching to the new model? Yes.

Cheers,

Sean

Being one of these non-pros/enthusiats who can afford an M system, do I have to feel guilty now.....
...nah, guys like you keep Leica afloat .............. I ticked a couple of egos back there:D ..now with that dental floss stuck between the teeth

Couldn't agree more; the posts are testimony of that. Though, thankfully, critics are in the majority.

I don't think we have any stats on the frame line preferences. Leica paid attention to all kinds of feedback from owners, however, and decided the change would be a good idea. Collectively, they have information from owners that we here do not have. Maybe someone will do a survey (about this preference) on the forum but, even then, we'd be looking at small percentage of M8 owners.

Cheers,

Sean

Collectively, they have information from owners that we here do not have. Maybe someone will do a survey

Cheers,

Sean

Don't know how Leica makes decision, but I was pointing to the mood of the 'house', i.e. people on this forum and the thread.

I have gone through all the posts in this thread, and can confidently tell you that there are about 5-7 people who are on Leica's side. The rest are quite cross.

not cheering, on this occasion:o .

Sean... just a question: a poster (in another thread) argued that M8.2 is "true 16 bit"... personally, I don't think so : such a modification in the firmware, if done, should have been much emphasized in the announcement (and, imho, would have imposed a number of hardware modifications): what do you think of ? I took notice that the original announcement, at a point, quotes "16 bit DNG format", but not identifying it has a new feature (that are all italic in the pdf press release).

Sean... just a question: a poster (in another thread) argued that M8.2 is "true 16 bit"... personally, I don't think so : such a modification in the firmware, if done, should have been much emphasized in the announcement (and, imho, would have imposed a number of hardware modifications): what do you think of ? I took notice that the original announcement, at a point, quotes "16 bit DNG format", but not identifying it has a new feature (that are all italic in the pdf press release).

At this time, I have no reason to believe that the M8-2 is a true 16-bit camera.

Cheers,

Sean

Don't know how Leica makes decision, but I was pointing to the mood of the 'house', i.e. people on this forum and the thread.

I have gone through all the posts in this thread, and can confidently tell you that there are about 5-7 people who are on Leica's side. The rest are quite cross.

not cheering, on this occasion:o .

We'd need a much broader data source to know the answer to this. My own sense, anecdotally, is that many M8 owners have complained about those frame lines (on this forum and elsewhere) ever since the camera first came out. But, again, that's anecdotal. If you're curious, you really might want to start a poll.

Cheers,

Sean

I have gone through all the posts in this thread, and can confidently tell you that there are about 5-7 people who are on Leica's side. The rest are quite cross

There have been lots of threads bemoaning the perceived inaccuracy of the framelines on the M8. No I can't be bothered to dig them out. Many more people than have posted on this thread expressed the opinion that they'd prefer the frames to be accurate at a distance further away than the minimum focussing distance.

Found this post on RFF : someone wrote about M8.2 :

"Originally Posted by Tuolumne

How cool. The instructions are waterproof but not the camera! " :D

and the reply by retow

"Is this German sense of humour? After the purchase of the M8 ones bank account might be under water, thus the waterproof instructions."

If you're curious, you really might want to start a poll.

Cheers,

Sean

Indeed. Let's have a poll. I had proposed, on 5th Sep 08, to the Administrators to have a poll. I quote partially from that post:

"I propose that the administrators create two 'polls' and let us vote to check the mood of the house.

POLL-1

1. Will you buy a new M8.2?

2. Will you upgrade your M8.1 to M8.2?

3. Will you wait for M9? "