M8.2 Price: $6295 / £3990

leica007

Advertisement (gone after registration)

USA: Leica M8.2 - Black Paint

UK: R. G. Lewis - Leica M8.2 Digital

[rglewis also has very clear photos]

Not for me. I suppose. There are other better things to do with 3990 GBP. :mad:

Look forward to RED DSMC or may be Nikon DRF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty weak showing. Basically a few new expensive lenses some minor tweaks to the M8 they could have done a long time ago and a couple of Panaliecas at a higher price.

Fools will pay for the cosmetic changes and convince themselves that they are not over priced but really where is the substantive improvements. No wonder their last financial statement indicated that they did not expect much in the way of sales from new products.

I'm sure the new lenses will be superb but so will the price and the sensor just won't justify the price in my opinion.

I was a bit shocked to see just how little Leica is offering in exchange for such an enormous price increase.

Is Leica not paying attention to Western economic conditions, particularly those in its principal M8 market, the U.S.? As I write this we're on the eve of one of the largest financial panics in recent history, the negative impact of which will certainly eventually be felt by nearly everyone reading this note. This is NOT the time for a company the size of Leica to offer so little for so much more.

Sunday evening US time (Monday early a.m London/Solms/Koln) Bank of America buying Merrill Lynch. Lehmann bankrupt. AIG in forced restructuring. We shall see...

I'm sure Leica would like to persuade CURRENT M8 owners that it is worthwhile to buy an upgrade, rather than dump their M8's in trade-in for an M8.2. Good for used prices, good for reputation as "forever" camera, good for service dept. income.

At the moment we have one website listing prices - with no stock available (obviously). Reality may set in by the time shipments start.

Anyway - I got mine already at $4,795 each.

8^)

More or less, one can expect upgrading a M8 to the new one quite easily, provided the price is right (as opposed to trading his old M8 for a new one), except the new internal UV/IR filter: what's the deal with those? anyone knows?

I really don't know where this 'new internal UV/IR filter" thing is coming from!? Leica haven't said anything about that.... and the earlier leaked 8.2 info didn't imply that either.

Sunday evening US time (Monday early a.m London/Solms/Koln) Bank of America buying Merrill Lynch. Lehmann bankrupt. AIG in forced restructuring. We shall see...

I'm sure Leica would like to persuade CURRENT M8 owners that it is worthwhile to buy an upgrade, rather than dump their M8's in trade-in for an M8.2. Good for used prices, good for reputation as "forever" camera, good for service dept. income.

At the moment we have one website listing prices - with no stock available (obviously). Reality may set in by the time shipments start.

Anyway - I got mine already at $4,795 each.

8^)

All the more reason for buying a Noctilux 0.95 !

My money is at the moment in a bank : that really kills me...'cause i don't trust these swindlers any longer..:-((

I like the new Vulcanite covering and the deeper black finish (the black chrome on the old M8 is possibly the worst finish I've ever seen on any camera - at any price) but, for a buyer not already committed to the M system, the M8.2 is not a compelling product in a market where decent full frame DSLRs are available for 50% of the price. I know it's apples and oranges but there comes a point when a 10MP cropped sensor camera looks pretty poor value (and the buyer feels like a chump) when it costs £3390.

I like the new Vulcanite covering and the deeper black finish (the black chrome on the old M8 is possibly the worst finish I've ever seen on any camera - at any price) but, for a buyer not already committed to the M system, the M8.2 is not a compelling product in a market where decent full frame DSLRs are available for 50% of the price. I know it's apples and oranges but there comes a point when a 10MP cropped sensor camera looks pretty poor value (and the buyer feels like a chump) when it costs £3390.

Even worse Ian, it's £3990 according to the R.G.Lewis link! If that was for an M9 with all the bells and whistles plus an upgraded sensor then maybe. But for the M8.2 as announced, if the price is correct, that's.... well...ambitious to say the least in the current economic climate.

I know that sort of thing doesn't trouble the extremely wealthy, but even those reasonably well off and able to afford it might struggle to justify it.

Sure £4,000 sounds a lot for a camera but it seems to me that the price for an M8.2 is in the ballpark of an M8 (original price) + full upgrade, which means that Leica is securing M8 owners' investments.

If the price point for for the M8.2 had been similar to the M8 then there would have been a wailing and gnashing of teeth by M8 owners that their investment had been devalued.

Pete.

Sure £4,000 sounds a lot for a camera but it seems to me that the price for an M8.2 is in the ballpark of an M8 (original price) + full upgrade, which means that Leica is securing M8 owners' investments.

If the price point for for the M8.2 had been similar to the M8 then there would have been a wailing and gnashing of teeth by M8 owners that their investment had been devalued.

Pete.

You may well be right Pete. I was contemplating this with a view to the prospect of new sales in a challenging economic climate. I paid £2500 for my M8 (new) just over a year ago, but I probably wouldn't pay £3990 for a new M8.2 now. However, if Leica can sell enough of them at that price then good luck to them. Looks nice though.

Hi Pete

I'm surprised you think Leica is in the business of "securing M8 owner's investments".

While it may be a long-term 'investment' in customer good faith that a camera is not quickly rendered 'obsolete' by new developments, I've always thought that cameras should not be seen as 'investments' in the first place, and that Leica's priority should be to push forward the boundaries of what is technologically possible, at the same time as selling as many cameras as possible - to old customers or new ones.

I'm still hoping there's more to come this week.

Mani

Hi Pete

I'm surprised you think Leica is in the business of "securing M8 owner's investments".

While it may be a long-term 'investment' in customer good faith that a camera is not quickly rendered 'obsolete' by new developments, I've always thought that cameras should not be seen as 'investments' in the first place, and that Leica's priority should be to push forward the boundaries of what is technologically possible, at the same time as selling as many cameras as possible - to old customers or new ones.

I'm still hoping there's more to come this week.

Mani

At the moment any camera might be a better investment than the stockmarket...;)

But in fairness, you hit the nail on the head here!

$6295 / £3990?

That's an awful lot of cash, unless you are independently wealthy.

There's some very stiff competition out there and I don't see how this is helping.

"That is an awful lot of cash.........." considering that we are talking about a 2 year old sensor in a market environment which has seen and will continue to see fast technology improvements and very competitive pricing for cameras with new and better sensors!