M8.2 plus 21 Summilux

michael_b_elmer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I think everybody on this forum knows that. But this is the first time we see the 1.4/21 Asph. mounted on a M8-2!

Please note the external finder on the M8-2 - it is marked 21 mm.

On the M8 a 21 mm lens becomes a 28 mm lens. So it would probably be have been more logical to mount an external 28 mm finder than an external 21 mm finder on the M8-2 for use with the 21 mm lens.

The pictures seem to emanate from Leica, whose product manager for the M line is also quoted in the text.

Since the prolongation factor 1.33 seems unchanged compared to the M8, the explanation may simply be that Leica will also launch a new external finder for the M8 and M8-2 marked "21" just like the 21 mm lenses.

I, for one, would certainly welcome such a new external finder to be used together with 21 mm lenses - I have been using a 50 years old Leitz finder for 28 mm together with my 2.8/21, but it is not quite up to modern standards. Others have used Zeiss 28/25 mm finders together with their Leica 21 mm lenses. The Frankenfinder is of course also a possibility, but not as handy as a small 28 mm finder.

The second photo with the hood on looks very photoshopped.

Agree. The -presumably- real lens looks bigger that that:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great looking lens but in reality one has to have an IR filter on it. From this POV Leica images of the M8 and lens are always a bit of a deception

Jeff

Jeff, yes it does need an IR filter, but no doubt they have reverted to drop-in filters, so no increase in dimensions. :)

It's obviously a metal hood, so there's the filter ring.

Can't understand why there's any surprise re the availability of finders for 24mm and 21mm lenses. These lenses are M lenses, not M8 lenses, (surprised as the M8 crowd might be), and to use these beauts on FF M3/M4..... you need a finder. Yes ?

Guest guy_mancuso

There should be a firmware update coming to include these lenses in the coding. I do hope the price are well below 5k for these. Sorry 5K is just too much for any lens. From a Pro point of view very hard to risk 5k lenses in the field when so much is going on and anything can happen. I sold my 35-70 R 2.8 for this very reason. Great lens but I did not want to risk 6500 dollars shooting with it when your knee deep in the trenches. I wonder what the number is of folks dropping lenses on a daily basis. It happens all the time.

Guest guy_mancuso

I know .Bummer

Still happy they are coming though and for some the real need is there. Just hard to justify. for me at least.

More my issue is two really expensive systems.

Given that the 24mm Elmarit is just over 4k US - £2000 - in the UK, I can't see these lenses coming in at more or less the same price. So I don't think there's any chance of them being under 5k.

The Euro prices generally seem to be approx 50% higher for a summilux than for a summicron, on that basis the 24/21 would go from approx 3k to approx 4.5k Eur.

Crazy money

Guest DuquesneG
Sorry 5K is just too much for any lens. From a Pro point of view very hard to risk 5k lenses in the field when so much is going on and anything can happen. I sold my 35-70 R 2.8 for this very reason. Great lens but I did not want to risk 6500 dollars shooting with it when your knee deep in the trenches. I wonder what the number is of folks dropping lenses on a daily basis. It happens all the time.

>$5000 camera is OK, >$5000 lens is not? Explain please. Cameras get dropped too (unless you wear them around your neck from the moment you get out of bed I suppose). M lenses are smaller, easier to get a full grip on than SLR lenses. But I agree, $5000 for a lens of that type (short focal, no AF, no IS, no interlens shutter, not even a data chip or even an auto diaphragm) is beyond the pale.

Guest guy_mancuso
>$5000 camera is OK, >$5000 lens is not? Explain please. Cameras get dropped too (unless you wear them around your neck from the moment you get out of bed I suppose). M lenses are smaller, easier to get a full grip on than SLR lenses. But I agree, $5000 for a lens of that type (short focal, no AF, no IS, no interlens shutter, not even a data chip or even an auto diaphragm) is beyond the pale.

I know sounds weird but you almost expect a camera to go down , not a lens. Believe me i have a 20k MF back that scares the crap out of me. Nice thing it is built like a tank though. You also almost always have a backup camera but a back 21mm 1.4 is not something you usually have. I agree though this somewhat sounds strange but that 35-70 2.8 I had there are only 225 made in the world. It's a collectors item and you cannot replace it and for a Pro a stupid lens to have. It belongs with someone that is much more careful and not in the soup daily

The Euro prices generally seem to be approx 50% higher for a summilux than for a summicron, on that basis the 24/21 would go from approx 3k to approx 4.5k Eur.

I've just read the CDI article. Both 21 and 24mm Summiluxes are said to be priced at 4999 Euros.

There's also a new C-Lux if that's a bit too expensive.

I've just read the CDI article. Both 21 and 24mm Summiluxes are said to be priced at 4999 Euros.

There's also a new C-Lux if that's a bit too expensive.

A new Panalux? no thanks, 5k for a new lens? no thanks x2 !

If I give Leica any money in the near future it would be to get more accurate frame lines in my M8 (although even then it seems they will be different to the M7 why oh why oh why??)