Sign in to follow this  
michael_b_elmer

M8.2 plus 21 Summilux

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy I have to agree. If the 8.2 which i know it does not have the electronic frame lines than i lost interest. That one is big for me and for sure I thought it was coming and even talked about it with Leica on a paper napkin. Guess that napkin went up in smoke.

Guest DuquesneG
I think that you have completely missed the point of M lenses.

Which would be, what?...demonstrating one's eclecticism and/or wealth? From the overwhelming responses on this forum, it seems like either all the rest of us have missed the point of M lenses, or else Leica has.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well M lenses are built to the highest optical standards that we may find in any lens design. It is not the bells and whistles of the lens but the quality coming out. Not much can touch a M lens for one and NO ONE can beat wide open performance of Leica glass. I have tried them all and yes some great glass out there besides leica but as a system overall no one has that many lenses that can preform at this high level wide open. Most systems i could count them on one and maybe 2 hands . Leica by far in general has the best glass overall and that is truly what Leica was and is today. There a optical company don't let anyone tell you any different not even Leica. Seriously if you ever saw a cutaway of a Leica lens your jaw would drop. I never seen that much engineering going on in any ones lenses. Truly amazing to see and if you ever get to Solms . Take the tour

Can't understand why there's any surprise re the availability of finders for 24mm and 21mm lenses. These lenses are M lenses, not M8 lenses, (surprised as the M8 crowd might be), and to use these beauts on FF M3/M4..... you need a finder. Yes ?

You are of course, quite right that these lenses are also lenses meant for use on analogue M cameras.

The point - which you seem to miss - is that the 21 mm finder is shown on a M 8-2. And you see other pictures where the 24 mm finder is also shown on the M8-2.

This raises other questions, such as: (1) which is the VF-magnification of the M8-2 compared to that of the M8 (0,68) and of the M6 (0.72), the M7 and the MP (where some cameras have 0.58 and som 0.85), and (2) for which focal lengths are the frames of the M 8-2 supplied? I for one, would not mind M8-2 cameras having magnifications and lens frames along the lines of the M7 and the MP.

That Leica is taking wide angle photography seriously, is confirmed by their launch of the new D-Lux 4, cf. Leica D-LUX 4 - Optyczne.pl

However, many of us miss Leica introducing new M-2.8/18 and M-3.4/16 mm lenses. It ought to happen at Photokina 2008 but perhaps Leica has had to postpone the launch of such lenses.

The point - which you seem to miss - is that the 21 mm finder is shown on a M 8-2. And you see other pictures where the 24 mm finder is also shown on the M8-2.

I think this has nothing to do with the magnification or the sensor size - it looks like Leica wanted to show the 21 & the 21 mm VF (and the 24 & 24 VF) in the same photo, as two items that might have a relation with one another (for instance, for film shooters) and they used the M8.2 as their camera of choice for the pics because - is the new baby and they wanted to show that off too.

I wouldn't read too much into it, but of course I would be happy to be proven wrong

However, many of us miss Leica introducing new M-2.8/18 and M-3.4/16 mm lenses. It ought to happen at Photokina 2008 but perhaps Leica has had to postpone the launch of such lenses.

We don't even know yet what they will introduce at the Photokina. All we have are leaks and rumours....

You are of course, quite right that these lenses are also lenses meant for use on analogue M cameras.

Thank you.

Well Dr Kaufman quoted 22 new lenses.

I've fixed 20, with 12 truly nailed. Maybe, the missing two are the 16mm & 18mm, but I don't know.

Hope you get what you want.

.....but that 35-70 2.8 I had there are only 225 made in the world. It's a collectors item and you cannot replace it and for a Pro a stupid lens to have. It belongs with someone that is much more careful and not in the soup daily

aww, Guy, you should have let it lived gloriously creating history, after all there is still 224 more out there somewhere

It will fall apart some day anyway give or take a couple of centuries.

I've just read the CDI article. Both 21 and 24mm Summiluxes are said to be priced at 4999 Euros.

There's also a new C-Lux if that's a bit too expensive.

A 21mm f2.8 is about £2,100 new.Leica charge about £1000 per stop after f 2.8 ref 28cron and 35lux .I can not see them being less than £4000 each (€8000).Hope I am wrong because I want the 21 lux.I want a great px on my 21mm and it looks like a rolex is on its way.

Brian:D

£4000 is about 5000 Euros at current exchange rates, not 8000.

Sorry Steve I pressed the wrong key I meant $8000 for a convertion for Guy M.

Brian

today I saw a first new price list at my leica dealer.

They quoted the 21 and 24 luxes for 4.995,00€ each and 7.995,00€ for the nocti.

They told me of a c-lux3 and a d-lux4 arriving soon.

No way to order a d-lux3 as of this writing.

5000E .. thats just ridiculous

4000 GB pounds, or put another way.... a huge massive leap in price from any other M lens, including the WATE and the old Noctilux.

buy both the 21 and the 24 and suddenly I could have a whole new Hasselblad H3D instead for similar money (and it comes with one lens) which would propel my work into a totally different dimension quality and resolution wise.

I hope Leica have some other suff up their sleeve... these prices make this stuff just aspirational halo gear for the rich and famous. Quickest way to sign their own death warrant imo.

We (and leica) need REAL equipment, thats useable in the REAL world, at REAL prices that properly sells in numbers. Making Leica into something more mythical and enigmatic is a big mistake.

You have no idea how many people there are with serious money in their pockets (not me, I haste to add

) You don't have to be rich and famous to spurge 20.000 or 30.000 € on a hobby. And that is where Leica's customers are. Just come and look in the marinas in our country. Most boats are well over 200.000€, and there are many, many thousands of them....

You have no idea how many people there are with serious money in their pockets (not me, I haste to add ) You don't have to be rich and famous to spurge 20.000 or 30.000 € on a hobby. And that is where Leica's customers are. Just come and look in the marinas in our country. Most boats are well over 200.000€, and there are many, many thousands of them....

yep shame that, Leica becoming more and more of a rich man's toy .... all the gear and no talent etc..

I'd personally like to see the day when some pros start to use the M system and it becomes a proper system with which to cerate images rather than a mantlepiece gift ....but putting fast hugely expensive collectable primes at the top of the photokina menu might mean that day never arrives

I don't think it is that bad. I've just been looking through the M8 book. No lack of talent there. But it is a pity I agree, there are plenty of talented photographers with not the kind of money to buy Leica gear, however, fortunately owning a Noctilux is not a prerequisite for taking great images.

Sorry Steve I pressed the wrong key I meant $8000 for a convertion for Guy M.

Brian

The dollar's doing a bit better v. the pound lately: £4000=$7170 as of yesterday. Though I suppose if you've got the stomach for a $7170 lens, $8000 probably is within reason as well.

I'm just glad I'm satisfied with my comparitively dirt cheap Summicrons.