A Good Picture

badpets

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first rule for a picture is that it should exhibit continuous movement. That is, when the composition is done and it's in its final form, the eye should naturally move around the image in a loop. There might be 3 or 4 main points in the image that the eye hits and the eye should move around them when you are viewing the photo.

If the image has intrinsic value, as above or by some other photog's definition, then there needs to be good workmanship (or workpersonship). If a b/w photo, the zones should be well represented with good whites and blacks, if possible. If a color photo, the highs should not be blown and there should be detail in the lower luminances.

Following the application of these two general rules, then the fun starts. So, the third rule is: It should be fun.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You absolutely don't have to answer to my question if it meaningless to you. What makes you think I'm wasting my time here?? Please explain... Thank you.

I believe that Steve is quite right here.

While thinking about what he means you can make some nice photos maybe?

My first rule for a picture is that it should exhibit continuous movement. That is, when the composition is done and it's in its final form, the eye should naturally move around the image in a loop. There might be 3 or 4 main points in the image that the eye hits and the eye should move around them when you are viewing the photo.

If the image has intrinsic value, as above or by some other photog's definition, then there needs to be good workmanship (or workpersonship). If a b/w photo, the zones should be well represented with good whites and blacks, if possible. If a color photo, the highs should not be blown and there should be detail in the lower luminances.

Following the application of these two general rules, then the fun starts. So, the third rule is: It should be fun.

Here's my rule: There are no rules. A good picture is one you like. As soon as rules are made, someone will make a good picture that breaks them all.

You have to learn to understand that people do think DIFFERENTLY than you do and you cannot always be right. Don't make statement/judgement like that, please. While you're so against rules, it's ironic that you are also setting up rule about what's supposed to be here in this forum.

Can't for the life of me see why this is in the M8 forum.

Agree with all that Brent says. There are no rules. Rules are what you fall back on when you lack inspiration.

Firstly, the M8 angle is of no relevance to your question. You can take pretty much the same kind of picture with any other camera if you really wanted to.

What makes a good taste? A good feeling? A good place? - everyone is different, some people think Ansel Adams is the greatest photographer ever, to me is pictures are boring and I wouldn't give them wall space.

I disagree. M8 is a different camera and it produces unique images. My question is meant to address to M8 users and that's why it's here. Again, only those who are interested in my initial question reply please. My question intends no harms so I hope you can be kind to it too.

Firstly, the M8 angle is of no relevance to your question. You can take pretty much the same kind of picture with any other camera if you really wanted to.

What makes a good taste? A good feeling? A good place? - everyone is different, some people think Ansel Adams is the greatest photographer ever, to me is pictures are boring and I wouldn't give them wall space.

What is a "good picture" by your definition, particularly utilizing the latest technology of Leica M8?

A good one would be one I would look at and feel something. A picture which would make people to look at it and maybe even make them to feel or think.

I dont understand the second part of your question though,

What would be a good question, particularly asked in the Leica forum?

Hey Steve, I don't know what you're on, it's like I just dropped a bomb here or something. But really I have never asked for debate about whether rules should be applied in photography. If you think there should be no rule, I'm cool with it. I simply just wanted to know different opinions on what a "good picture" means to each individual. That's ALL. Let's cool the heat here. Thanks for being first to reply by the way.

What makes a good photograph? A good photographer.

I can think of lots of photographers that could take better photographs with a 50 year old camera that I can with my M8.

You have to learn to understand that people do think DIFFERENTLY than you do and you cannot always be right. Don't make statement/judgement like that, please. While you're so against rules, it's ironic that you are also setting up rule about what's supposed to be here in this forum.

If you put all that energy into good use, you could probably make some great photos.

I disagree. M8 is a different camera and it produces unique images. .

I mean this in the truest possible sense, and not to be insulting, but that assertion is not only incorrect, but downright illogical.

Show me a "unique" image that could not have been taken with any other camera. This is a matter of the philosophy of photography not the light-tight tool that just happened to have been used.

Steve's responses have been cogent and on-topic. You may disagree with him and his opinions, but there is no need to adopt the tone you have - he is as entitled to his subjective view as you are to yours.

Now, as to your original question, a "good picture" in my subjective opinion has a number of attributes. It makes me look twice, and long. It moves me, or resonates in some way. If it is one I have taken, then it is one that I feel proud of, and willing to share. What it is not, in all probability is technically perfect (for which read "sterile") nor is it likely to be arch, knowing, self-referential or consciously setting out to be "art". It won't be a slow-shuttered, tobacco-gradded coastal shot, a moody sunset or a representation of a cat, dog or baby. It will not be photoshopped to death, and it particularly won't be HDR'd. It will be something that appeals to the mind and soul in equal measure, and it will linger in the memory long after the physical image has gone.

Thank you for a thought-provoking question. Please open your mind to the replies.

Regards,

Bill

on the M8 is a picture that is technically and/or esthetically interesting (good) and was taken using an M8. That's all basically. Nothing much changes: a pic, is a pic, is a pic. Even pictures that don't follow these rules can be good if the content is interesting enough.

One might argue that for a picture that meets these requirements and could ONLY be taken with an M8 (like using instead of complaining about ISO 2500 noise, or 1/4s exposure time handheld) we should add some 'M8 good picture' bonus points.

Show me a "unique" image that could not have been taken with any other camera. This is a matter of the philosophy of photography not the light-tight tool that just happened to have been used.

Many people will agree that Henri Cartier-Bresson did take some very good pictures; and among those who agree on this, there are many who would say that his using a Leica camera was necessary for his results. If there is any truth in this assumption, it just means that somebody who was able to create unique images found the instrument to do this. It can never mean that using the instrument enables anybody to create anything.

A good image taken with the help of a photograhical instrument will reveal the formal understanding of the photographer and the technical result of arresting time on a visible media to more people than those who may have looked at the motive at the same moment the photographer pressed the button. The good image does not depend on knowing the whereabouts and times when and how it was created. It even will make those who regard it, forget that it was taken by a photographic instrument.