Jupiter-9 85m F2.0 lens M39 for M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using J-9 in my anamorphic setup for video and kind of got hooked to Sonnar design.

Today I have ordered an L39 to M mount adapter that allows coding. So before I start thinking about doing the shimming part what would one recommend to code it as? I guess a 90mm, but which one?
Thanks and cheers!!!

BTW I will use it with M10, but found this thread. I hope this is ok.

Edited by mirekti

22 minutes ago, mirekti said:

...So before I start thinking about doing the shimming part what would one recommend to code it as? I guess a 90mm, but which one?...

The earliest 90mm Summicron.

I no longer have my M8.2 (:() but I found that if I had a non-Leitz lens and matched the general era of the 'alien' lens to what Leica were offering at the time the results were always good.

Best of luck!

Philip.

• Thanks 1

I believe that the M10 and the M8/M8.2 handle lens detection differently.  My M8.2 offers lens detection as either "off", "on", or "on with IR and UV" and that is it.  Any other information is relayed to the camera by the lens itself.  It can trigger the mechanical sensor which informs the frame lines within the rangefinder.  If there is an encoded lens flange with its 6 bit encoding specific information more than focal length can be passed to the camera. The M10 is more sophisticated.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=139034&type=93705&language=93871

LENS TYPE DETECTION
The 6-bit coding in the bayonet mount of current Leica M lenses
allows the camera to identify the type of lens attached using the
sensor in the camera bayonet.
– Among other things, this information is used to optimize the
picture data. Thus edge darkening which can be noticeable with
wide-angle lenses and large apertures can be compensated in
the corresponding picture data.
– Flash exposure and reflector control also use the lens data (see
“Compatible flash units”, p. 182).
– In addition, the information provided by this 6-bit coding is writ-
ten to the EXIF data for the picture. When displaying extended
image data, the lens focal length is also shown.
Setting the function
1. Select the menu item Lens Detection , and
2. in the sub-menu the desired version:
– OFF , or
– Auto , if a coded Leica M lens is attached, or
– Manual M / Manual R , if a non-coded Leica M lens is at-
tached/a Leica R lens is being used with a Leica R Adapter
M (available as an accessory, for further details, refer to the
adapter instructionsl).
Notes:
• When attaching a coded Leica M lens, the camera automatically
switches to Auto , even if a different lens had previously been
entered in Manual M .
• When using Leica R lenses, the camera automatically switches
to Manual R , even if Auto had previosuly been entered.
• When using Leica M lenses without coding, Auto should not be
used to avoid malfunctions, i.e. in these cases, the lens type
used should always be entered manually.
Manual lens type/focal length entry
Earlier Leica M lenses will not be recognized by the camera due to
a lack of coding. However, they can be entered via the menu.
The same applies to Leica R lenses.
3. In the sub-menu select Manual M / Manual R , and
• The monitor shows the relevant list of lenses, which also
includes the relevant item numbers to ensure clear identifi-
cation. The camera detects whether an M lens is attached,
or a Leica R lens using the adapter. The list contains either
only M or only R lenses accordingly.
4. select the lens used from the relevant list.

Edited by boojum
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to get the lens tested. It focuses perfectly at 4 , 6 meters. Haven't had a chance to test the true infinity, but when I set to infinity the objects 200m away are in focus and that's more than good enough for what I need this lens for.
Now the close focus. At minimum focus it is back focusing for 2 cm or so. Let's say I have a horizontal scale from 1 to 100, and when I hit focus in rangefinder at number 3, the focus is actually at number 5. It is not horrible so I do hope I could "fix" this, but wondered if I correct the focus at close distance of 1m would it set the mid range (4-8m) focusing off? Would it also change the infinity of the lens?

46 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i love this lens, i have a silver/aluminum early version which apparently has zeiss glass...

Interesting!

Which exact version do you have if you don't mind my asking? I have a soft spot for the very early post-WWII FSU stuff and there are Contax parts in my earliest KNEB III.

Philip.

If you adjust the lens for better performance at closest focus then the focus at distance will show a much larger error. If you have the later Black J-9, there is a secondary shim that controls the distance between the rear group and front group. You can decrease that shim slightly to improve close focus. If it is the earlier type, you must increase the main shim, found by unscrewing the optical barrel from the focus mount.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

If you adjust the lens for better performance at closest focus then the focus at distance will show a much larger error. If you have the later Black J-9, there is a secondary shim that controls the distance between the rear group and front group. You can decrease that shim slightly to improve close focus. If it is the earlier type, you must increase the main shim, found by unscrewing the optical barrel from the focus mount.

I think I will just live with what I have. It focuses perfectly from 2m and on, and for close focus I will get used to move focus a tad more when rangefinder’s patch is in focus. Already tried out that method and I was surprised it had actually worked fine.

I do have a black version and was able to simply unscrew the front lens block. There is one shim inside. Started to play by screwing it back in until the focus at 1.15m was precise in rangefinder. However, I have lost the mid range precision in that case. That led me to believe it is not only that shim, but I would need to do something else which I am not sure of what.

Edited by mirekti

20 minutes ago, boojum said:

I may be deluded but the J-9 I had tuned by Jadon when he was at Advance Camera seems to work throughout the focus range.  The serial number indicates that it was made in '88.

All in all a good lens at a very good price.  

Can you hook me up with Jadon? :)

6 hours ago, mirekti said:

Can you hook me up with Jadon? :)

This is the email I have used: J.  He is in the Portland, OR, area.  He also rehabs M-9 sensors.

Edited by jaapv
We dont allow publication of private e-mail addresses.
  • Thanks 2