Jupiter-9 85m F2.0 lens M39 for M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking about buying a Jupiter-9 85m F2.0 lens M39 for my M8 (with M39 to M-mount adapter)

For artistic portrait photography, does anybody know were I can buy a new one?

because I heard some that they were still being made today by KMZ.

On the official KMZ website I couldn't find the lens......

KMZ

Martin: The Jupiter-9 is essentially a Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 clone. However, it is often difficult to find one that focuses properly on an M film camera, no less an M8. There are various theories as to why, ranging from the idea that Soviet camera RFs were built to a different standard focal length, to quality control issues, to people improperly re-assembling them after repair.

See this article:

Dante Stella

Particularly the section titled "Ivan the Incompatible"

I tried two J-9 lenses. One wouldn't focus at all. The other was fine from 3.5m to infinity, but no good closer than 3.5m. I gave up and got a 90 Summicron. :-)

If you want the Sonnar look without the pain of playing Russian roulette with the focusing, an LTM 85/2 Nikkor might be your best bet. It is the best of the postwar Japanese Sonnar clones. Some of the LTM Canon 85s are also good, do a Google search to research specific models.

--Peter

I bought a Jupiter 85 f2 back in ... 1983 or 84, if I remember : supercheap, complete with finder, nice glass... but on my IIIc focused from 4 mtr about to infinity: nearer distances were definitely off focused and simply, given the low price I paid, threw it away (to be precise, I traded it for a Polish binocular... which by its way focused correctly ONE eyepiece only.. :) ).

Want to make artistic portrait with old-style definition ? Find some Japanese RF... or better the Leitz Hektor 7,3 cm f 1,9 of '30s... they aren't so rare, nor too costly...

• 12 years later...

I thought I would take a shot at the Jupiter 9 and found a late model, '88, in Istanbul.  The seller, on eBay, was a good chap and we closed the deal at ~US$110.  The lens is good and pretty sharp but will not do infinity.  A trip to the camera tech got it to infinity at the expense of nothing closer than ~1 meter.  The tech, who is the in-house Leica tech, had it done pretty quickly.  He checked the rest of the lens problems and found none.  So now I have a pretty good 85mm f2 for ~US150 which I think is a pretty good deal.   This along with a Canon 28mm f2.8 and the CV 35mm f1.2 should keep me away from lens shopping for along while.  And thanks to all of you for the help posted here about this lens.   

FWIW, the Leica tech is hot-rodding the sensor on his M9 and getting better color and shadow definition.  He's a nice guy and he seems to have the chops.  I cannot give out his hot-rodding of the sensor but maybe he will if you call him at Advance Camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/8/2020 at 10:26 PM, boojum said:

I thought I would take a shot at the Jupiter 9 and found a late model, '88, in Istanbul.  The seller, on eBay, was a good chap and we closed the deal at ~US$110.  The lens is good and pretty sharp but will not do infinity.  A trip to the camera tech got it to infinity at the expense of nothing closer than ~1 meter. 

Do you mean 2m? The minimum focus on the J-9 is 1.15m.  The later Black J-9's have a secondary shim for the rear group- The focal length can be reduced by taking it out, and reducing the main shim to compensate for the movement of the rear group.

Brian, I would settle for ~1m as within hailing distance of 1.15m.  I just took some test photos and while it does not quite do 1m it does focus well short of 2m, and also does infinity.  "The Leica Guy" at Advance Camera seems quite competent to me.  He tweaked the RF in an M240 and fixed the Jupiter both and I do not think he broke a sweat.  He is very excited about stripping off layers from the M9 sensor for, as I said elsewhere, greater shadow detail and depth of color.  I may be tempted to pick up an M9 and have him hot rod the sensor for me.

The Jupiter 9, BTW, is a black one, very clean, surface and glass.  I got lucky with this lens.  And the seller was just a dream to do business with.  Just as a favor he was kind enough to go out and buy ibriks or cesves, the little pitchers for making Turkish coffee, billing me modestly and sending them along with the lens.   A really nice guy and ethical from start to finish.  His eBay name is from Greek/Turkish mythology, Syssophos, rolling that huge stone uphill.

All in all this M8.2 has been a pleasant experience from the get-go.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by boojum

Here is a color from the Jupiter 9 today of a "RoRo" passing my door.  RoRo for "roll on, roll off" car carrier.  It's on it's way to Longview or Portland to offload cars. No UV/IR filter.  Needless to say, the full-size DNG is better.

Edited by boojum

I'm very, very impressed by Jadon at Advanced Camera Repair...

The Black J-9 lends itself to shortening the focal length by removing the rear shim. The original focal length of the J-9 is 84.5mm, and it is made to focus with the Zeiss 52.4mm, and not the Leica 51.6mm standard.

I did some calculations- by shortening the focal length of the J-9 to 83.2mm the lens can be used on the Leica across full range. I did that for one, then ended up selling it to a Portrait Photographer in the Movie business. I get satisfaction from a professional using my hacked lenses. Finding a J-9 with enough movement in the rear group has some luck involved- Hang onto this lens! Also- the internal helical that translates the motion of the optics to the Cam could be recut- he might have done that. He's very good.

I have a pre-war CZJ 8.5cm F2 Sonnar with an adapter with custom-indexed cam for my M9, works well.

I spent a lot of time making the J-9 focus on a Leica.

Edited by BrianS

Here's the deal, I have been lucky across the board with this camera. 

I have always thought my life would be a wee bit better if I owned a Leica.  By doing some research I came across the info that the sensor in the M8/M8.2 was special.  I paid top dollar for mine, an M8.2.  Dave at Advanced Camera checked it out, or maybe Jason.  Dave's conclusion, and I quote, "You got yourself a good camera there."  I had the 35mm f/1.4 CV and then got the Canon 28mm f/2.8.  It is a good one as far as I can tell. I got lucky again with the Jupiter 9.  Sysophuss in Istanbul was just a really great guy to do business with.  And the lens is a good one.  From my dealings with Syssophuss I would believe he is an honest broker across the board.  And then Jason tweaked the lens and fixed the RF in an M240 on the spot.  I explained that it while I really liked the guys at AC it was a four hour round trip and hell on my plantar fasciitis. So Jason kindly did the whole deal while I waited.  I am lucky again to have gone there in the past with an old Pentax.

And then there is this forum.  You guys have been so collegial, helpful and patient with my tyro fumblings.  Reading the past posts helps a lot.  Asking questions helps a lot.  I hope that over time I will be able to put back enough to repay some of what has been so freely offered.  

• Like 4

Hello boojum

Thanks for your messages.

Taking my Jupiter out for a look at the world today.  Measured the closest focus ...1.15m as specified (to sensor plane). And infinity is ok too. Am using today on M-P typ 240 with electronic finder also to check rangefinder-viewfinder optics.

I'll run it through a few torture tests so i can get used to it again.  I have a Leica C 90mm f4 which i tend to use for short tele.

All best dave s

Am 14.10.2020 um 23:27 schrieb boojum:

Brian, I would settle for ~1m as within hailing distance of 1.15m.  I just took some test photos and while it does not quite do 1m it does focus well short of 2m, and also does infinity.  "The Leica Guy" at Advance Camera seems quite competent to me.  He tweaked the RF in an M240 and fixed the Jupiter both and I do not think he broke a sweat.  He is very excited about stripping off layers from the M9 sensor for, as I said elsewhere, greater shadow detail and depth of color.  I may be tempted to pick up an M9 and have him hot rod the sensor for me.

The Jupiter 9, BTW, is a black one, very clean, surface and glass.  I got lucky with this lens.  And the seller was just a dream to do business with.  Just as a favor he was kind enough to go out and buy ibriks or cesves, the little pitchers for making Turkish coffee, billing me modestly and sending them along with the lens.   A really nice guy and ethical from start to finish.  His eBay name is from Greek/Turkish mythology, Syssophos, rolling that huge stone uphill.

All in all this M8.2 has been a pleasant experience from the get-go.

The lens looks a lot like the black Nikon 85 f2 LTM I had. The Nikon worked flawlessly on a IIIc and my M2s. I had a beat up 90 Elmarit refurbed and use that now. Sold the Nikon. Curious, does the Zeiss Jena have a 48mm filter ring?

vor einer Stunde schrieb UliWer:

No, 49mm.

My 1959 Nikon had a 48mm ring, the guy I sold it to asked why I had a step up ring on it, try to find 48mm filters. But with the angle of the photo of the Zeiss Jena they look almost identical.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Back to opening post regarding the Jupiter 85mm f2 ltm .

Here are some pics taken using my Jupiter wide open at f2.  It performs very well and of course the wonderful plastic files in DNG with my M-P typ240 allow a lot of processing.

But these images are straight out of camera...just converted to JPG's in LR for Export to this thread. 

Jupiter 85 f2 ltm at f2

Dappled Light Bokeh Balls Jupiter 85mm f2 at f2

Closest Focus 1.15m Jupiter 85mm f2 at f2

• Like 2

With my Black J-9, on the M8. This is the one I had adjusted for good focus by removing the secondary shim to reduce the focal length.

The J-9 is a faithful recreation of the pre-war CZJ 8.5cm F2, 7 elements in 3 groups. The bokeh is smoother than the Nikkor 8.5cm F2.

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 2