M8 - "Attention reset card number"?

bernardofeio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to all.

I’m back from my holidays in Argentina

In my last day of holidays in BsAs my M8 decided that was tired and needed some rest and just blocked after finishing one more card! Now it just can’t record any photo and just say “Attention card full” and “Attention reset card number” “Attention reset card number”?? how can I do that?...

I already format several cards and the message is always the same…

Completed blocked

Any help?

and what do you think about this photos?

Bernardo Feio

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To reset the image numbering go into the menu by pressing the Menu Button then go to Picture Numbering and reset it. Take a shot then set it back to Continous.

After you do that AND IF the camera comes back to life you can then use the steps below to reset the camera to start recording image at the number of the last image before this problem happened.

If the reset doesn't work then it is time to give your M8 a holiday at Leica.

Here is a procedure that will allow you change to anything you want:

1. Set the Picture Number in the menu to "Standard".

2. Format the SD card in camera.

3. Reset the File Number in the menu. It actually says “Reset fold. No”, that is the one you want.

4. Set Picture Number back to "Continuous"

5. Take one image

6. Shut off camera, remove SD card and place in card reader attached to a computer.

7. Access the image in your Finder or Explorer (Mac or PC); rename the image number to whatever file number/image number you want. I would suggest Lyyyxxxx, with "y" being your preferred folder number (See Note Below) and "x" being the frame number you want to start with. (You are making these changes to the file name on the card in the card reader.)

NOTE

If you want to change the first or second digit of the L100 (Lyyy above) in the file name, like to L200 or 120 or 220, then you have to change the folder name also.

The directory/folder structure on the card when in a card reader is [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\100LEICA\. You need to change the 100LEICA to whatever you want the file number to start with. Like if you want it to be L200xxxx then you need to rename that folder to 200LEICA. If you want L120 then you need to change that folder name to 120LEICA. It would look like this [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\120 or 200LEICA.

8. Properly remove card from card reader and return to camera.

9. Turn the camera on and press "Play". The file will now display with newly renamed folder and file number. (Use "Info" to see this data.)

10. Expose another image to confirm and check file numbers.

11. Format SD card, and you are good to go from that point on.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello

thanks!! that worked to unblock the camera.... It reached the L9999999 and then it just stopped working! :) (strange bug!)

and what about the precious 2 photos (and there are some blank photos with no information at all)?

Well there is the problem, L9999999. That means you have taken 9 Million 9 Hundred 99 Thousand 9 Hundred 99 images. The camera can't record anymore images. The computer can't count any higher, it can't add anymore digits.

This is NOT a BUG.

At one time you must of change the numbering sequence, changing it to L9999001 or L9990001 which only gives you Nine Hundred Ninety Nine or Nine Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety Nine shots respectively. Or you have a happy trigger finger and the shutter in your M8 has long outlived it's expected life cycle. Which is 150,000 actuations.

I have 2 M8's so I have changed one of them to record the images starting with L2, the other still records image at L1. That mean I will be able to record 8 Million+ images on one aned 7+Million images on the other before I run into the problem you had. That should take me the rest of my life, if the camera lives that long.

... and what about the precious 2 photos (and there are some blank photos with no information at all)?

1) Are you using current firmware 1.201?

2) Was your camera either produced or serviced after January 2008?

A) I had similar problems that were corrected by having the camera serviced in January of this year, and returned with then-new firmware 1.201. Any post-January 2008 service includes an upgrade to current electronic and mechanical standards.

B) There have been some similar images shown on the forum that were apparently sensor-reading problems, but they showed overlapping images in R, G and B instead of a grey space.

Either way, you'll need to send the camera with these images to Leica. They can fix it.

Blanks, incompletes etc--they're still in Buenos Aires and didn't make it back with you. Good excuse for another trip. :)

"1) Are you using current firmware 1.201? "

yes...

"2) Was your camera either produced or serviced after January 2008?"

no... produced in 2006/2007 (were can I find that information?) serviced last year...

"Either way, you'll need to send the camera with these images to Leica. They can fix it."

that is not a good ideia... I will be with out the camera one more month... it already whent to solms 3 times...

"Blanks, incompletes etc--they're still in Buenos Aires and didn't make it back with you. Good excuse for another trip"

that's a good ideia!! :))

Ouch! Three times in already? Bad.

But this time they really have it together IMHO.

I guess the best thing is to contact them and describe the problem, as Carl said above.

I had a number of problems--like blank exposures in the midst of a group of properly exposed ones, gross overexposures in the midst of properly exposed shots, truncated DNGs that showed previews but couldn't be opened--that I thought would be hard to diagnose. I figured the camera would have to go in a couple times, but it came back right the first time.

(Work done in New Jersey, not Solms, in my case.)

Anyway, good luck. Real bummer.

hello

and what about the precious 2 photos (and there are some blank photos with no information at all)?

More then likely it is a SD card problem but could also be caused by the camera getting close to the Nine Million Nine Hundred Ninety Nine Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety Ninth image recorded and not knowing what to do.

There are NO cameras I know of or ever heard of that records more then 9,999,999 images without have the image numbering reset.

If you took 50,000 images a year you would need to shoot that same camera for 199 years before the numbering would be used up and you had to reset it. Even if you shot 1,000,000 images a year that would be nearly 10 year of use before you had to reset the numbering. If you took 1 Million images a year that would be 1.9 images for every minute in every day of that year.

hello

The camera went 3 time to Solms but 2 of them were just to align the rear monitor!! (strange isn't it?)

Concerning the number of trigger actuations for sure I didn't take 9999999 photos with this camera! At the moment this is my only camera and I use it very often but for sure not 21 000 photos per day!

Last time the camera went to Solms was last year in September. I think it's time to go again....

Should I wait some more days to know photokina official news and only send the camera after that?

Bernardo feio

the rear monitor:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well now that you have the numbering straightened out I'd just go out and take a bunch of shots with it and see if you get the same type of images that you noticed before, that you posted. That is after you format all your cards in a PC and then RE-format them in the camera.

I really don't think the camera need to go back to Leica. The type of images you posted have happened to other users and most of the time it has been a card problem. The only way to tell is to take a whole lot of shots with each card and see if it happens again. If it does mark the card it happens with.

Not sure what you mean "align the rear monitor". I never really looked to see if either of my monitors are straight. Not sure they can go out of alignment. As long as I can see all the info I've never really bothered looking any further. After looking at my chrome M8 it is the same as your, a little higher on the left side, but it doesn't bother me.

hello

The camera went 3 time to Solms but 2 of them were just to align the rear monitor!! (strange isn't it?)

Concerning the number of trigger actuations for sure I didn't take 9999999 photos with this camera! At the moment this is my only camera and I use it very often but for sure not 21 000 photos per day!

Last time the camera went to Solms was last year in September. I think it's time to go again....

Should I wait some more days to know photokina official news and only send the camera after that?

Bernardo feio

Mine is a bit like that, but I really have to tip the camera when ISO is highlighted to notice (I never did notice before this post). I'm not convinced it is something to send the camera in for- it seems utterly irrelevant.

Mine is a bit like that, but I really have to tip the camera when ISO is highlighted to notice (I never did notice before this post). I'm not convinced it is something to send the camera in for- it seems utterly irrelevant.

Completely agree with that statement. There arre more things, in life and with the M8, to be thinking about then if the LCD may be slightly off.

Certainly I wouldn't be sending either of my M8's off for this.

Don’t get me wrong!

I use my camera wherever I need and I don’t consider it an exhibition object. I’m a truly M8 user. I use it in every occasion from a marriage party to expeditions in desert, passing true the sea, ice, snow and rain. If you look to the camera you will understand what I mean! The marks in top of the camera, the rear screen and the bottom plate can confirm what I’m saying. I don’t treat the camera bad but I use it in all environments whenever I need it (… probably most M8 users would never put it in those conditions)

But buying a 4000 € camera and having the rear screen out of alignment after it went to repair is lack of quality control!

I want to continue to use and trust the camera and the repair works. But Solms must earn my trust…

Bernardo Feio

Don’t get me wrong!

I use my camera wherever I need and I don’t consider it an exhibition object. I’m a truly M8 user. I use it in every occasion from a marriage party to expeditions in desert, passing true the sea, ice, snow and rain. If you look to the camera you will understand what I mean! The marks in top of the camera, the rear screen and the bottom plate can confirm what I’m saying. I don’t treat the camera bad but I use it in all environments whenever I need it (… probably most M8 users would never put it in those conditions)

But buying a 4000 € camera and having the rear screen out of alignment after it went to repair is lack of quality control!

I want to continue to use and trust the camera and the repair works. But Solms must earn my trust…

Bernardo Feio

I don't think anyone replying to this thread has stated you are just a M8 show person.

But it also seems that all M8 have this little misalignment on the rear LCD screen and more then likely it's a manufacturing misalignment that can't be fixed.

The LCD is a packaged item, LCD screen, backer and cover glass/plastic all in one screwed/bolted onto the cameras back half as can be seen in Mark Nortons picture of a disassembled M8. There are NO adjustments for screen position inside the completed assembly.

I used to drive a Morgan. When I once visited the factory I mentioned that the bonnet gap on the righthand side was half an inch wider than on the lefthand side, but it didn't bother me. The foreman looked at me for a few seconds and said: "Now that you mention it, they all do, but you are the first customer to remark on it..."

In other words: the joys of handcrafted gear.