M8.2

plexi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the new features are available as upgrades & the upgrades don't cost more than trading for a new body, then I'm quite satisfied with the new features. They include the ones I wanted most.

The M8 viewfinder has driven me nuts, & that's the change I want the most. (I'm 'programmed' for M4 viewfinder & never got used to M6.) Seems like that would be a small conversion.

Subjects have actually looked up & told me my shutter is noisy; & photographers ask why it sounds like that, if it's a Leica. So that's my second priority.

I don't have a Noctilux, so I've never used 1/8000 shutter speed. I was never concerned about a FF sensor, because I don't experience IQ problems & have wide-enough lenses. And I'm really not bothered by the filters.

Some of the improvements don't matter to me. I don't seem to need scratch-proof glass, at least in the short run; nor do I plan to use bigger SD cards. 188 shots are enough (compared to 36!), & I like multiple 2GB cards so that I'll never lose too many images.

Others may have other priorities; but I'm happy simply to thank Dr. Kaufmann et al. & to hope the upgrade prices are reasonable. I plan to send in my bodies when the rush is over, but in time to stay under warranty.

Kirk

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly easy to see why they have delayed the upgrades until after Photokina - The new shutter only goes down to 1/4000 so it was always a question what would happen to the 1/8000 position on the shutter speed dial. Now we now, a sort of "Mother Knows Best" snap-shot mode, with the viewfinder arrows meaning camera shake at one end and over-exposure at the other. Maybe this is seen as a way of broadening the M8 appeal.

I'm sure Andy's right though. A handful of directly replaceable parts knitted together with a firmware upgrade. Some crumbs will make it through to the non-upgraded low-lifes but I feel sure M8 series production will move to M8.2 specification.

Doesn't look like the fundamentals change at all, same sensor, same IR sensitivity, same approximate focussing mechanism. Still, new framelines, SDHC support, deferred shutter wind are welcome.

Interesting too that they keep banging on about flashes with motorised reflectors. What flashes, what motorised reflectors?

My (ancient) Metz MZ4 has a motorised reflector; works quite well on the M8 too.

really don't get the auto mode and auto iso

shame, the M8 is really lagging behind now, what with canon 16mp and the 5D ii at 21mp

looks like its time to seriously consider selling up and moving to H3D

Why would you downgrade from the M8 to an H3D?

Why would you downgrade from the M8 to an H3D?

probably because it has as good if not better optics, a similarly non-digital look, a filesize of 39 mega pixels in which you can almost fit x4 M8 files side by side, tonal latitude and shadow detail that Leica 35mm or any other 35mm system can only ever dream about, colour accuracy that makes an M8 look like a kids toy, a much better aspect ratio which is far more geared towards pleasing compositions (4:3 is hateful!), and also auto bracketing whcih I would actually find quite useful :)

oh, and i happen to also like lenses a lot more when their focal length correctly matches their coverage rather than being too cropped for any given perspective

I accept that this makes the H3D a monumentous downgrade but I think I could get used to that :p

You know, reflecting on this, if it's true it makes me a very happy bunny.

OK - we bought into a new model and have taken some of the hit (and enjoyed a lot of the gain) over the last two years. I think of the 1Ds. Great camera, hugely expensive, superseded within three years, and no chance to benefit from Canon's improvements without buying a new model. Similarly, the M8 isn't a cheap camera, and similarly, it's a good camera (IMHO). It gives me the IQ that I need in a format that I like, and lets me benefit again from the investment that I've made in glass. There were things that I didn't like about it (as with the 1Ds), and things that I wanted to improve (notably sutter actuation / re-cock noise and frame-lines). For me, the IR filter was an annoyance at the beginning (because of the shortage of supply), but is a non-issue otherwise. And now, here we are with the M8.2 - and low and behold, it doesn't kill my current camera. I can ignore the upgrade if I don't want it or can't afford it, and my camera still has a good re-sale value because it can be up-graded. Alternatively, I can give my money to Leica and get a camera that more closely matches my needs (I want the quieter shutter and the changed framelines). For me that beats Canon's approach to technological development.

Higher ISO one day - maybe, but it's not really a big issue for the way I shoot. Most of my work is 160 / 320. I use 640 for stage and performance work - with 1250 figuring only occassionaly across 1000s of frames. More pixels? I really don't need it for the vast majority of work that I do. I'll almost certainly get the 5D replacement - which will give me this kind of resolution - but it will remain a different tool for different purposes.

My worry now? That the rumour's not true! :D

It seems like Norway´s number one photo magazine Fotografi also published the article on their website. They say on their website today that they removed the news after the official dealer asked them to and that this wasnt something they usually would do, but this was news that werent supposed to get out yet. They also say that the news will come 15th of September.

Farnes, Foto.no and Fotografi are all very serious and reliable sources. There is no doubt in my mind that the news is real and that this is no Hoax. Someone screwed up...

You know, reflecting on this, if it's true it makes me a very happy bunny.

OK - we bought into a new model and have taken some of the hit (and enjoyed a lot of the gain) over the last two years. I think of the 1Ds. Great camera, hugely expensive, superseded within three years, and no chance to benefit from Canon's improvements without buying a new model. Similarly, the M8 isn't a cheap camera, and similarly, it's a good camera (IMHO). It gives me the IQ that I need in a format that I like, and lets me benefit again from the investment that I've made in glass. There were things that I didn't like about it (as with the 1Ds), and things that I wanted to improve (notably sutter actuation / re-cock noise and frame-lines). For me, the IR filter was an annoyance at the beginning (because of the shortage of supply), but is a non-issue otherwise. And now, here we are with the M8.2 - and low and behold, it doesn't kill my current camera. I can ignore the upgrade if I don't want it or can't afford it, and my camera still has a good re-sale value because it can be up-graded. Alternatively, I can give my money to Leica and get a camera that more closely matches my needs (I want the quieter shutter and the changed framelines). For me that beats Canon's approach to technological development.

Higher ISO one day - maybe, but it's not really a big issue for the way I shoot. Most of my work is 160 / 320. I use 640 for stage and performance work - with 1250 figuring only occassionaly across 1000s of frames. More pixels? I really don't need it for the vast majority of work that I do. I'll almost certainly get the 5D replacement - which will give me this kind of resolution - but it will remain a different tool for different purposes.

My worry now? That the rumour's not true! :D

To be fair Chris the Canon 1ds2 did not kill the 1ds and the 1ds3 has not killed the 1ds2, and the time gaps between them were large in terms of how often lower models are upgraded. (Same is true for the 5D) They are all good cameras, but the technological improvements Canon put into the later models could never have been retrofitted to the 1ds.

Really the M8.2 is a small upgrade over the M8, as far as I can see the sensor has not changed.

I recently upgraded my 5d (which I had at the beginning) to a 1ds3 and the shutter action and noise on the M8 (original) is like cranking an a 1950s car compared to that camera. I am finding the extra pixels a boon for composition and cropping whilst still being able to make large prints.

Leica had to do something to revive M8 sales and that is apparently the M8.2.

I'll wait and see what the M9 brings, for the moment my future spend will go on some nice Canon L primes unless of course Zeiss come out with some canon fit lenses.

Jeff

And you don't have to pay dues for power-training any more.;)

Seriously, Jackal, these arguments show the advantages of medium format in general since time immemorial, but is this not apples and oranges? Or apples and pumpkins rather?

yes they do

i was just rising to the sarcasm :)

and yes, you cant compare the two

also, ive been extremely happy with my M8 over 12000 actuations or so

I won't be getting rid of it either

but, i am half looking for a new premium system with better resolution

whether that be an R10, H3D or M9

As foto.no posted the press release yesterday so did another Norwegian site, that of Fotografi a well renound Norwegian photo mag. This morning at 9:56 they've also removed it replacing it with a note saying:

"Vi la i går ut en nyhet om et nytt kamera som skal lanseres 15. september. En glipp fra leverandøren førte til at nyheten sprakk på et annet nettsted. Da valgte også vi å publisere saken."

for those of you whose Norwegian is slightly rusty it says:

"We published a news item yesterday of a new camera that is being launced on September 15. A mistake by the distributor caused the news to break on another internet site. We then decided to publish it too."

It was a nice one with photos of a chrome and black M8.2.

Cheers,

- Carl

BTW it is very disapointing if it is true

I think Leica stock will take a plunge

What is disapointing if what is true? You mean IF the M8.2 is true?

If so why do you think that. Leica needs to improve on the M8 to open other markets, the diehards already have a M8. Then you have those fence sitters that found fault with the M8 and will look at buying one of the so called improved versions.

Leica stock would of gone down if they hadn't come out with a newer model. Now they might generate some more sales.

As a private company, Leica's stock price is pretty irrelevant, IMHO, provided Dr Kauffman continues to have faith in the company. I do.

What's disappointing if true? An update to the M8?

Leica said months ago that an M9 wouldn't be coming, but this is the first indication that an updated M8 will be available. Previously, these updates were only to be available as works to existing (or even new) M8.0s. So, this is both "news" and "good".

I repeat that there will be much more to Photokina than a warmed over M8. There will be stuff there that we haven't expected, and that will make us go "Wow". Now that will be both "news" and "very good" :)

Only a fortnight to go and we will know for sure.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the upgrade news since I recently reluctantly sold one of my M8's & silver 35 cron to a friend of mine. (He caught me in a moment of weakness and I caved in ... ) From what I read here the improvements will be enough for me to get another M8(.2) which I'd planned to do later in the year anyway.

I'd actually be more upset if the 'upgrade' were more radical. I don't foresee a sensor upgrade for a while due to the pure physics of the M system lenses / sensor gap. New lenses with built in IR filtering could be appealing (maybe not if you shoot IR!).

Auto ISO mode: I love this on my D3 & D700 when I want true P&S. I hope that the Leica implementation allows you to limit the shutter/highest ISO because it's only really useful if you can keep the camera restricted to 'clean' ISO's which in my experience is 640 or below.

It looks like the 35 Summilux that I'd planned for in the toy budget may be another M8 body again after all.