Sign in to follow this  
plexi

M8.2

The Zeiss announcement is scheduled on the 15th of Sep. as well ... how interesting is it?

Panasonic, 12th of September...

Sound a little like the leaked, bad, firmware back in 2007. Someone that was making a page for future release accidently hit the wrong button and post it to the real website, not the test website.

Doesn't surprise me. Leica needs to do something to get sale moving again. Not sure I would buy one as I already have 2 M8.0's. But there are some that would and others that stayed away from the M8 might be buying the M8.2.

...Coverglass thickness 0.5 mm, full suppression of infrared light by additional UV/IR filter...

Built-in additional UV/IR or still red noses?

42000NOK is the same amount that the M8 cost until now over here. No need to think the price will be higher than it is now elsewhere. Both foto.no and Farnes is reliable sourses and it seems like someone has pressed a button to early.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42000NOK is the same amount that the M8 cost until now over here. No need to think the price will be higher than it is now elsewhere. Both foto.no and Farnes is reliable sourses and it seems like someone has pressed a button to early.

Sweet!

This is a biggie for me. Quiet shutter mode !!

"Activation: Shutter activation optimized for minimum noise. Electric motor drive with friction wheel in the first speed build-up stage and a cam disk for homogenous torque throughout the activation process (time-delayed cocking after shutter button is released, selectable in menu)."

Take the photo and prevent the motor wind-on noise until a convenient moment.

Not much use for a landscape photographer maybe, but will sure help the wedding guys.

This is a biggie for me. Quiet shutter mode !!

"Activation: Shutter activation optimized for minimum noise. Electric motor drive with friction wheel in the first speed build-up stage and a cam disk for homogenous torque throughout the activation process (time-delayed cocking after shutter button is released, selectable in menu)."

Take the photo and prevent the motor wind-on noise until a convenient moment.

Not much use for a landscape photographer maybe, but will sure help the wedding guys.

So will that be possible with a FW update for the current M8 or are new mechanics involved?

Jeff

So will that be possible with a FW update for the current M8 or are new mechanics involved?

Jeff

Think you've got the measure of that one Jeff.

Guest DuquesneG
Image sensor: Low-noise CCD sensor specially optimized for the requirements of the M lens system. Pixels: 10.3 million. Dimensions: 18 mm x 27 mm. Extension factor: 1.33 x. Aspect ratio 3:2. Coverglass thickness 0.5 mm, full suppression of infrared light by additional UV/IR filter. Moiré filter: no, but full exploitation of the lens capabilities by Moiré fringe detection and elimination by digital signal processing.

That's a little vague...I wonder by"additional" do they mean front-of-the-lens, or on the sensor itself? If it no longer needs front filters, that's a biggie. Otherwise, for my uses I see no advantage in dumping mine for the 8.2. I also wonder if there will still be the upgrade available on the 8.0 or has that been axed. Ditto to any firmware upgrades for 8.0 that might make some of the 8.2 features available.

Guest kirkmingle

This info about the M8.2 sounds realistic to me. I am more afraid of how much money I will have to pay to get my newly-bought M8 upgraded (just bought it June). If Leica is serious about their previous announcement "M8 - A future proof investment", they have to show up with something at Photokina that doesn't let new customers down. Let's see what happens.

This info about the M8.2 sounds realistic to me. I am more afraid of how much money I will have to pay to get my newly-bought M8 upgraded (just bought it June). If Leica is serious about their previous announcement "M8 - A future proof investment", they have to show up with something at Photokina that doesn't let new customers down. Let's see what happens.

First ask yourself if you *need* to upgrade.

Hmmm!, darn it! my M8 version beta will still take the exact same quality images as the M8 version 2.

Oh well, €5000 saved.

Interesting spec sheet. Sounds like it could be real.

What's interesting is that the list of improvements indicates that Leica actually may be listening to feedback from it's customers.

Frame lines that indicate coverage at 2 meters up from .7 cm, quieter shutter, the optional delay of the shutter cocking etc.

No-no, no IR filter over the sensor other than the 0.5 one they have now already.

Hmmm!, darn it! my M8 version beta will still take the exact same quality images as the M8 version 2. Oh well, €5000 saved.

Eoin - I share your pain. Here I am stuck with two obsolete M8 bodies (no .2 after the number) and no reason to take out a new mortgage to replace them