M8.2

plexi

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's disappointing if true? An update to the M8?

yes it is...it means they put their trust in 2 year old sensor technology.

That means if you compare M8 images with modern sensor camera's the M8's will be blown away. Another area in which Leica always stood out (low-light) is now also taken over by more modern camera's with sensors that give hardly any noise at iso1600

I'm stunned to read in the specs that they claim de M8 sensor is low-noise. In these days it certainly is not...

Or would that imply a sensor update after all, to be announced at the Kina? :D

Wow: at the very end of the 'leak': :D

anti-slip carrying strap (14 312), camera cap for M bayonet (14 195), rechargeable lithium ion battery (14 464), battery charger incl. car socket adaptor and 3 mains plug adapters (Euro, UK, USA) (14 463), (compact chargerwith 80% charge display, car socket and EURO/USA mains leads)

At last, a compact charger :eek: But for the M8.2 only:mad:

Not sure it's the sensor that give almost no noise at 1600 or the software in the cameras that's doing it. Yes sensors have improved but the M system can't take advantage of them for already stated reasons.

I suggest you sell all your M stuff and move on to something that "You" think is better.

That's what I did when I came back to Leica and sold all my Nikon stuff. No I don't miss the Nikon gear or even think of going back to it. Even with the 2 great cameras they have recently come out with. I'm just a M shooter at heart.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow: at the very end of the 'leak': :D

At last, a compact charger :eek: But for the M8.2 only:mad:

Since the specs list the same exact battery is used in the M8.2 more then likely you will be able to buy the new charger all by itself.

It's probably something like the Delkin charger or something similar to the Ansmann Vario with M battery plate affixed to it.

Not sure it's the sensor that give almost no noise at 1600 or the software in the cameras that's doing it. Yes sensors have improved but the M system can't take advantage of them for already stated reasons.

I suggest you sell all your M stuff and move on to something that "You" think is better.

That's what I did when I came back to Leica and sold all my Nikon stuff. No I don't miss the Nikon gear or even think of going back to it. Even with the 2 great cameras they have recently come out with. I'm just a M shooter at heart.

I agree - all this bitching about the sensor makes it sounds like creating a lower noise & higher ISO sensor is simple. Nikon and Canon have invested YEARS & YEARS and countless millions to achieve their levels of sensor performance. They also haven't been hampered by the extreme image challenges from the M system lenses/sensor gap. To assume that Leica can magically 'fix' the problem quickly is naive at best. This isn't a case of plugging in a better off the shelf sensor folks.

yes it is...it means they put their trust in 2 year old sensor technology.

That means if you compare M8 images with modern sensor camera's the M8's will be blown away. Another area in which Leica always stood out (low-light) is now also taken over by more modern camera's with sensors that give hardly any noise at iso1600

I'm stunned to read in the specs that they claim de M8 sensor is low-noise. In these days it certainly is not...

Or would that imply a sensor update after all, to be announced at the Kina? :D

What newer RF-suited sensor technology is there then?:confused::rolleyes: I just read the 1DsIII review in Naturphoto: ISO 800 is usable, ISO 1600 very noisy.....

Regarding the constant criticism of the current M8 noise levels higher than iso640, I think the real world practicalities are often ignored. IMHO, skilled use of the camera, correct exposure, and of course quality of light are more important and more likey to decide if an image is 'good' or 'bad' rather than noise alone.

I frequently shoot at ISO1250 very successfully. Yes, I do have some failures, but maybe I should be taking the blame because when I do it right, the high iso pics sparkle. It is so easy to blame the tools. A good crafstman never will.

I suggest you sell all your M stuff and move on to something that "You" think is better

what a b*s*

wow, you must be a true believer, just a bit of critism and you feel attacked

the fact that I would love to have a sensor with low noise doesn't mean I can't work with or do not like my M8. I adore my M8 even with its limitations and even though it broke down with the first drop on rain in greenland. The sensor is just one part of it. It's like having a carb engine in a car while nowadays injection is widely available. The car still is great and suits my need most of the time, but still I would prefer to have a more modern injection engine, and in a time all other cars have injection it is silly to have you latest model equiped with a carb engine.

just read the 1DsIII review in Naturphoto: ISO 800 is usable, ISO 1600 very noisy

I just used the D3 and saw sample of the D700, the noise at 1600 is comparable with the M8 at 320. Starting to be visible

Regarding the constant criticism of the current M8 noise levels higher than iso640, I think the real world practicalities are often ignored. IMHO, skilled use of the camera, correct exposure, and of course quality of light are more important and more likey to decide if an image is 'good' or 'bad' rather than noise alone.

Amen!

I just used the D3 and saw sample of the D700, the noise at 1600 is comparable with the M8 at 320. Starting to be visible

Yes, according to N-F Canon went for megapixels so the reduced pixel size generates noise.Nikon made a different choice.

(btw, don't blame them for my interpretation, I'm sure in actual use noise is just as good as the MkII;))

Why are people assuming that all of the (rumored) changes on the M8.2 will be available as upgrades to the M8? Just because delayed shutter re-cocking could be done via software doesn't mean that Leica chose to do it that way.

Framelines may or may not be as simple to swap as some here assume.

Smaller charger won't be free.

Depending on the cost of the M8.2, which in my opinion needs to be at or below current price of M8 for Leica to see any significant bump in sales, and the price of the upgrades along with buying the new charger it may in the end be better to sell an M8 classic and buy the new one. From a purely financial view.

Yes, according to N-F Canon went for megapixels so the reduced pixel size generates noise.Nikon made a different choice.

Well it seems that the 1ds3 is no match for Nikon's D3 but I am afraid at 1600 iso it is quite noticeably better than the M8 at 1250.

I have both these cameras and have compared shots side by side.

This not unexpected, the 1ds3 has 6.4 micron pixels, the M8 6.8 microns but it is old, old old technology.

None of this worries me as I shoot mainly below 400iso with both cameras.

Jeff

What newer RF-suited sensor technology is there then?:confused::rolleyes: I just read the 1DsIII review in Naturphoto: ISO 800 is usable, ISO 1600 very noisy.....

Actually ISO 1600 is quite good if you resample the files to match the pixel dimensions of cameras like the 5D, D700, M8, etc.

Cheers,

Sean