13352 pola filter

aj55

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought an old flip pola filter with some seperation of the filter itself.

Has anybody ever replaced the filterglass? I suppose it is a linear filter - considering its age. Any suggestions on which brand of filter to use as a replacement?

Hi,

Has anybody ever replaced the filterglass?

I had the same trouble onces. The filter itself (glass) is set and glued, i had to dip it few hours in acetone, after removing the frame from the hood, to untie it.

I just cut a suitable circle into a polarizer folio, used for strobe. It works and it is interchangeable.

Added: You need the IR filter on M8 too.

Jaap, would a circulair filter work just as well?

Are linear filters available at all?

Also - is discussed before I suppose - will it clear my IR/UV filter?

Yes, a circular filter works just as well, it is just more expensive. Yes, you will fit it over your IR filter. As I recall it has a lip to prevent being pushed on too far.

Hi,

I had the same trouble onces. The filter itself (glass) is set and glued, i had to dip it few hours in acetone, after removing the frame from the hood, to untie it.

I just cut a suitable circle into a polarizer folio, used for strobe. It works and it is interchangeable.

Added: You need the IR filter on M8 too.

Are you sure its glued? I think I see a sort of screw-in ring.

I thought just a little tab with a hamer - no use to keep the old filter! ;)

Guest DuquesneG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you sure its glued? I think I see a sort of screw-in ring.

I thought just a little tab with a hamer - no use to keep the old filter! ;)

I have two of them of slightly different variations...both with screw rings, except one version has notches for a tool and the other doesn't. They both appear to have glue securing the screw rings, so I suppose some pure acteone is in order. Thankfully mine haven't deteriorated so far!

Jaap, I think the filterrim is to weak to clamp down a pola. Ever tried to unscrew a filter while squeezing it between two fingers? And then swinging out and in the filter will put considerable strain on that filter. I am afraid it will jam on the lens after that!

Arnold-Jan, I don't think so. The rim gets stabilized in the screw-in part. I think you need to lubricate the hinge, the filter should swing out very smoothly. Having said that, I think the B&W rings look more robust than the Leica ones.

The replacement glass for this filter can be ordered from Leica as part # 042-663-014-006. In April of 07 the cost was $186 (US) from Leica US and it took 3-4 weeks for delivery from Germany. Mine installed easily with the retaining ring. Unfortunately the only advice Leica gave me about using this filter was to take the the UV/IR cut filter off.

Regards to all….Steve

Guest DuquesneG
I have a 13352 completely missing the filter and the spanner slots on the inner ring. What diameter should the replacement filter be?

To the best of my ability to measure without taking mine apart, the glass from a 46mm pola filter should fit well enough, diameter-wise (measuring from the outer edges of the retaining ring, the diameter is roughly 43mm). Whether it might need shimming, I do not know.

There is another Leica pola filter of similar operation, called a Universal Polarizer. That one attaches with threaded adapters in the standard Leica sizes up to E49, so it would just screw into the UV/IR filter.