M8+5D

aj55

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not quite the same but I use a 1d and 1ds Mark II. I am slowly using the M8 more and more at weddings, better files by a long shot and easier to put through LR.

The downside (if you can call it this) is that the pictures are harder to take and I still will not shoot the church phase with the M8 for a number of reasons which members can guess at.

I have both. I use the 5D when I need to shoot high ISO (800 and above) and when I need to use long lenses (anything over 135mm). I would love to be able to use the M8 for all my shooting because I prefer the look of the files and am much more comfortable using a rangefinder than a SLR. I also don't care about full frame for the M8, but it has nothing to do with having it on the 5D.

Guest DuquesneG

I have both too (2 M8s, but only one 5D, because I have an old D60 around just in case). Completely different tools each with their own set of pros and cons. Image quality is no better with the M8, it just requires less post processing. The high-ISO difference is there, but my taste gives the win to the M8. When I shoot at ISO 1200 or more, I'm going for that slightly grainy, film-look. With the 5D I have to do yet more post-processing to get there.

"Full frame" is relative to 35mm film, and since that's a thing of the past (at least for me), the concept of "full frame" doesn't mean anything to me. I get much better results from the C/V 12mm on my M8 than the 16mm end of my L zoom on the 5D, with the same FOV.

I have a 5D , 1D mkIII , M8 in addition to other cameras (30D, M7 and other Canon film) . The 5D is probably the least used at this point . Use it more for Arch. , especially w/ 14mm lens, or studio work .

I probably will not upgrade to the new 5D when released , at least not immediately .

Full frame or 1.3 crop - make little difference to me . I am more concerned about not having to replace lenses, the main reason I would not buy a Nikon . Much to much invested in Canon glass . Nor would I buy a rangefinder that didn't accept m-mount lenses.

PeterP

I've got an M8, Mamiya 7, and Arca Swiss 4x5. About the only thing I don't have is a DSLR. That could change if Nikon introduces a D900 (24 MP equivalent to the D700); it might be bye bye Mamiya. The 4x5 will NEVER be replaced. Nothing, and I mean nothing, challenges the image quality of this size of film when properly drum scanned.

The 4x5 will NEVER be replaced. Nothing, and I mean nothing, challenges the image quality of this size of film when properly drum scanned.

Couldn't agree more . Love shooting 4x5 . Have always rented , but haven't owned one since I sold a very old Speed Graphlex . An Arca 4x5 is still on my list of equipment to get.

PeterP

5D + 2 M8s. Got rid of the 1Dmk2 - couldn't be bothered with the weight and bulk. Use a 40D from time to time when I want to benefit from the 1.6 crop with long lenses (it's great with the 70-200 for theatre and performance).

2 systems, 2 different uses. If I could only have one, I'd stick with the M8.

Guest noah_addis

I have a 5D and 1DMKII provided by my employer. The only gear I own is leica including film cameras and one M8 (soon to be two).

My newspaper is having some financial problems, so if I have to go out on my own and freelance, I plan to stick to the M8 exclusively.

I use my M8 for all of my personal work, and many of my assignments, especially the more interesting ones and situations where discretion is a plus.

I use the canon gear if I need long or very wide glass or fast shooting for sports, etc.

I use my M8 for all of my personal work, and many of my assignments, especially the more interesting ones and situations where discretion is a plus.

I use the canon gear if I need long or very wide glass or fast shooting for sports, etc.

... and if any of you have looked at Noah's work, you'll see that this should be a really valuable testimonial for Leica!

I use an M8, 5D and sometimes a 1D MkIII. The 5D and 1DMkIII are used for low light high ISO work > 640 and for architecture with Canon's 24 and 45mm TS lenses and the 90mm TS for product photography and creative thin depth of field.

I much prefer using the M8 for anything else though :D .

Bob.

1DmkIII and a couple of M8s.

1D for fast changing conditions (zoom and high ISO changes), the M8 when I need to enlarge.

Then I started using the M8 for dance a month back. It was really tough without EV compensation easily accessible. SD card and battery changes were difficult in dim light. ISO 1250 was great though. Almost as good as the 1DmkIII except in the shadow details.

With the M8, I could pre-empt my focus as I could see a broad field of view sharply. With the 1D, I need to eyeball the scene and decide where to focus. Here the AF really helps to get focus quickly but the M8 is more precise.

I was pretty sure that the M8 would be a dud when it came to shooting dance performances but I actually like the way I could think through on my shots. A very different way of photography and different tradeoffs.