Delkin charger - M8 (All posts merged)

cbretteville

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks very much for the report and photographs!

If I understand correctly, you can buy plates for different cameras so for example at one time you could be charging one M8 battery and one Canon 5D battery. Is this correct?

However, I must say the size and weight and extra cords (from the photographs you posted) make this an unattractive option for traveling, for me.

Except for the cost......which is much lower.

Thanks again for your work.

--Bob

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I understand correctly, you can buy plates for different cameras so for example at one time you could be charging one M8 battery and one Canon 5D battery. Is this correct?

Bob,

That is correct. This was my original intent, but now I have a second though. My old M8 charger and my Nikon charger fit nicely in a small(about 4x6x4) pouch. I do not think I can do this with the Delkin charger.

S.Kueh

What are the DC input stats/measurements (ID/OD?)? Thanks!

Reading from the name plate on the dual charger unit, the input is 12V DC (from the AC adapter or car adapter), the output voltage is 12V DC/8.4V DC/4.2V DC 0.4A x2. There are 4 contacts on each side of the charger. The M8 plate has only 2 contacts (4.2V and DC return), therefore the 4 contacts on each side of the charger are 12V, 8.2V, 4.2V and DC return respectively.

Hope this helps.

S.Kueh

Reading from the name plate on the dual charger unit, the input is 12V DC (from the AC adapter or car adapter), the output voltage is 12V DC/8.4V DC/4.2V DC 0.4A x2. There are 4 contacts on each side of the charger. The M8 plate has only 2 contacts (4.2V and DC return), therefore the 4 contacts on each side of the charger are 12V, 8.2V, 4.2V and DC return respectively.

Hope this helps.

S.Kueh

Thanks; what are the plug sizes/types going in to the charging base itself?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Terry and Jamie:

Can you let us know if the Fedex rate included the brokerage fee or if it later gets collected at the door.

I am reluctant to buy cheaper items when the shipping is about $30 and then a brokerage fee of $30 may also have to be paid, making the price of the item double. Some of the smarter retailers in the US have a US post option for Canadian shipments, which usually has minimal or no brokerage fees.

Robert

Ordered mine the other day and received it today. Fedex collected 22.65 I guess for taxes etc. I am in Montreal.

Terry and Jamie:

Can you let us know if the Fedex rate included the brokerage fee or if it later gets collected at the door.

I am reluctant to buy cheaper items when the shipping is about $30 and then a brokerage fee of $30 may also have to be paid, making the price of the item double. Some of the smarter retailers in the US have a US post option for Canadian shipments, which usually has minimal or no brokerage fees.

Robert

Robert--we'll let you know. There are taxes of course... can't get around them. I just want to be able to charge 2 batteries at once. :)

One thing I don't like is the differente pricing.

In the U.K. shop is 32 UKP ( =35 Euro) for the charger alone, but in the EU store 49.99 Euro..:mad:

I agree, and on Delkin's US website it's $39.99 which is 29.69 Euro! (source: XE.com).

Pete.

Bob,

That is correct. This was my original intent, but now I have a second though. My old M8 charger and my Nikon charger fit nicely in a small(about 4x6x4) pouch. I do not think I can do this with the Delkin charger.

S.Kueh

I bought one for the same reason. I got it yesterday. I'm a little disappointed, mostly about the size and the fact that the AC power pack is separate and not built in. Makes for a larger package to carry around. I was thinking it would be smaller, like Nikon's MH-18a, but with the second battery slot on the other side. Oh well, you live and learn. A good item to have just in case. I'll leave this on on my desk and pack the Leica one for travel.

Benefit: If you switch cameras, all you have to do get is a new plate

Ordered mine the other day and received it today. Fedex collected 22.65 I guess for taxes etc. I am in Montreal.

There must have been a brokerage fee in there too. The HST is only 14%. Your 22.65 fee would make the charger $161 if the fee was only for taxes.

Robert

The M8 plate has only 2 contacts (4.2V and DC return), therefore the 4 contacts on each side of the charger are 12V, 8.2V, 4.2V and DC return respectively.

Hope this helps.

S.Kueh

What happened to the third contact like the Leica charger. It must serve some purpose.

Robert

What happened to the third contact like the Leica charger. It must serve some purpose.

Robert

Indeed it does - it's connected to a temperature sensor in the battery pack which will shut down the charge cycle if the battery gets too hot.

Robert--we'll let you know. There are taxes of course... can't get around them. I just want to be able to charge 2 batteries at once. :)

Got mine (finally) today. For some reason when it arrived in Vancovuer FEDEX decided to send it on a bit of trip to Aukland NZ before delivering it to me. Took a total of 8 working days but it could have been 5. I paid GST/PST a total of $18.08 no duty or brokerage fees. Delkin - picked-up the tab on shipping because of the side trip - their decision - as I suspect FEDEX refunded the cost of shipping back to them as well. A NICE COMPANY TO DEAL WITH, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I am generally pleased. I can charge two M8 batteries and for that matter two different OEM batteries at the same time. It seems to me - to be somewhat faster charging the M8 batteries and I like the fact it tells me how much of a charge is remaining, etc.

Best to all. Terry.

Indeed it does - it's connected to a temperature sensor in the battery pack which will shut down the charge cycle if the battery gets too hot.

Mark,

All Li-ion battery packs seem to have temperature sensors, so presumably a charger that ignores them is cutting corners. Are there any practical consequences (e.g. longer charging times, fewer battery cycles, higher risk of fire or explosion)?

John

Li-Ion batteries are fine if operated within a clearly defined envelope and they have protection circuitry to protect against over-voltage, over-current (in and out) and over-temperature to keep within that envelope.

I expect the battery has a non-resetable thermal trip to protect against extreme heat and that the externally accessible sensor is for "information only". Good engineering practice would say "stop poking current into the thing if it's getting hot and bothered" and with only a two wire connection, the charger can only monitor the current flowing into the thing based on the voltage being output with no direct knowledge of what the battery pack is doing thermally.

Li-Ion chargers monitor the progression of the charging cycle - the current should decrease over time with a constant voltage applied as the battery charge level increases and it's deemed fully charged when the current drops to (say) 10% of the initial value. That's all well and good providing it gets there but there's a safety timeout (several hours, typically) to terminate the charge cycle if that end-state is never reached.

It's really unfortunate that Li-Ion battery technology has grown piecemeal in the way it has with so many form factors. It would have been better if the batteries had been standardised across a range of, say, 10 or 20 pin-outs with a ROM chip on board from the start saying "this is how I should be charged". As it is, most of us will have a drawer full of battery chargers from different vendors.