Delkin charger - M8 (All posts merged)

cbretteville

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking forward to the new charger for the 8.2. From all I've read it's more compact than the original. However, I bought the 8.2 two weeks ago and the charger was...the same charger included in the original M8 kit. I know cuz I have one. I asked the dealer about this and they indicated that they had not received any kits with the new charger.

I must ask this question.

Does your M8 (2) have the letters (Characters) M8.2 stamped on the right side of the hot shoe????

Like this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If it does then the dealer ripped you off, I seriously doubt Leica AG would send out new M8.2's with the old, large/disliked, chargers.

If your camera does not have that stamp on the hot shoe then you bought a M8 and it comes with the older, original, charger, IE what you got.

Thanks for all the comments. Confirming that the newly acquired camera is an 8.2. Yesterday, I received an email from Leica in reply to my enquiry. The customer service rep indicated that it should have come with a compact charger and that they will sort this out. Stay tuned!

Quite peculiar. Especially if you think, that in order for the large charger to fit, you need the specially cut out foam pads that accompanies it. One can make a mistake to package the box with the bigger charger, but how can you fit this using lining for the new one?

IIRC the new smaller charger comes in the same size white box that the old charger came in. So the space in the big kit box the M8 comes in does not have to be modified at all for the placement of the new charger.

This post has a YouTube video of the packing of the M8.2.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/69597-practicing-christmas-elvis-kennedy-unboxes-m8.html

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Spot on Shootist. The space the compact charger occupies in the box is exactly the same.

This leads me to believe that the dealer switched out the new charger for the old, maybe he had some that he knew he wouldn't sell, and kept the new one to resell or for personal use. Or that Leica Germany totally screwed up (But I doubt that as you are the only one that has reported getting the old charger with the New M8.2).

I'd be going back to the dealer with a print out of the email reply from Leica and demanding the new charger. Let him work it out with Leica.

Right now I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt. I've been doing business with them for a long time and have purchased eight camera bodies (M6, 1V, 10D, 5D etc) and numerous lenses (Leica and Canon L) over the years. This is the first time there's been a discrepancy. And I find it hard to believe that they would risk losing one of their best customers over a charger. And I've dealt with the same salesman the entire time. Time will tell.

Well the answer to the old charger that accompanied my M8.2 is this. Leica ran out of the compact chargers and shipped some 8.2's with the old chargers. Once the new ones are received by the distributor, the distributor will supply me with the new one. You wonder what would happen if the unknowing buyer did not know about this. Would Leica or the distributor contact the customer if the customer did not raise the issue?

Well the answer to the old charger that accompanied my M8.2 is this. Leica ran out of the compact chargers and shipped some 8.2's with the old chargers. Once the new ones are received by the distributor, the distributor will supply me with the new one. You wonder what would happen if the unknowing buyer did not know about this. Would Leica or the distributor contact the customer if the customer did not raise the issue?

Well 2 things come to mind.

1) You have a most recently built M8.2 and there should be more of them out there.

2) You have one of the first M8.2 packaged before Leica had any, or a good supply, of the new type chargers.

In any event I'd keep on top of this as the new charger cost $165USD so in essence you paid $165 extra for your M8.2.

What gets me is this sounds like the filter fiasco where there were filters for sale in camera shops before most, if not all, of the people that bought M8's early on got there 2 free filters. Took me over 9 months from date of purchase to get all my filters.

You can buy one of the new chargers at some of the camera stores that carry Leica but Leica doesn't have enough to put one in every M8.2 box.

Well 2 things come to mind.

1) You have a most recently built M8.2 and there should be more of them out there.

2) You have one of the first M8.2 packaged before Leica had any, or a good supply, of the new type chargers.

In any event I'd keep on top of this as the new charger cost $165USD so in essence you paid $165 extra for your M8.2.

What gets me is this sounds like the filter fiasco where there were filters for sale in camera shops before most, if not all, of the people that bought M8's early on got there 2 free filters. Took me over 9 months from date of purchase to get all my filters.

You can buy one of the new chargers at some of the camera stores that carry Leica but Leica doesn't have enough to put one in every M8.2 box.

Actually, if Leica lets the OP keep the Frankencharger, he did not pay $165 extra for his M8.2, but would end up with an extra charger for the trouble. Its the lack of communication that bothers me. It looks like they tried to get away with something rather sleazy and got caught.

• 1 month later...

I emailed and asked for an update on the M8 adapter for their charger and this is the reply I got.

The information I have states that they went into production on

the 15th and if you call the toll free number and ask for sales, you can

order them. Hope this helps and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Robert Kimball

Customer Service

Delkin Devices Inc.

13350 Kirkham Way

Poway, CA 92064

(800) 637-8087 Toll Free

This company seems to be slower then Leica to bring a new product to market.

I have bought the new small Leica charger.

The hefty sum I paid has now joined my "Leica sunk costs", and I really cannot bother with waiting for the Delkin charger any more.

Oh perleeze. Impossible? You get stopped by customs? Stripped searched and the snap of a rubber glove if you cross a border? A smaller charger maybe more convenient, but really.

I agree, I never really understood the huff about the charger. I agree it is bigger than most but it does 12v as well. Even when i travel on my Motorcycle I don't have a problem packing it I do like the idea of being able to charge 2 batteries though.

Actually yes

When i visited Cuba customs were looking through all my equipment and asked me what this thing was. No questions about canon 5D charger

Anyways, new charger is small, has 12V the only problem it's cost, it should have been designed like that for original M*8

I have bought the new small Leica charger.

The hefty sum I paid has now joined my "Leica sunk costs", and I really cannot bother with waiting for the Delkin charger any more.

Oh perleeze. Impossible? You get stopped by customs? Stripped searched and the snap of a rubber glove if you cross a border? A smaller charger maybe more convenient, but really.

• 2 weeks later...