Sign in to follow this  
thompsonkirk

New CV Ultron 28mm f2 on M8?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Anyway I just had these lying around, and I hope they're what you're looking for...

Thank you Ben but it's hard to get some CA this way. Would be great to shoot some bare branches against the sky and to meter on them in order to get highlights around them.

Mmmm... hard to find bare branches right now here in Boston. I think we'll have to wait for Sean's review!

Ben

p.s. I'm very happy with the lens so far, by the way!

Never mind, thank you much anyway. This lens looks very good indeed, i'll just wait and see some flare and CA tests before i take the plunge... if i'm patient enough.

Despite the CA in question, I'm falling in love with this lens:) Performance in most aspect are perfect, in my review.

The lens has been hand-coded.

Never mind, thank you much anyway. This lens looks very good indeed, i'll just wait and see some flare and CA tests before i take the plunge... if i'm patient enough.

Hi Ict

The flare resistance of the lens is very good as you can see from my posted photos:D

Despite the CA in question, I'm falling in love with this lens:) Performance in most aspect are perfect, in my review.

The lens has been hand-coded.

I am sorry to say that my copy is not what I was looking for. It has backfocus which get exaggerated when you stop down, is fairly soft wide open and seems to be softer in the center then the edges at all apertures, although that could be caused by the backfocus.

I'm going to contact Stephen on Monday and see what can be done.

By the way my findings are on 2 different M8's so it not my camera. Unless all my other lenses, including a CV 21mm, are off by the same amount and both my M8's are off the same equal amount.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

....no accident...self coding more durable.. This recess .. I've been discussing with their US importer for a couple of years now.

Sean - Thank you for answering my query about the recess, and Kudos to you for your work on all our behalf. I'm greatly encouraged by this news, I'll wait to see whether these new CV-M mounts become phased in on UK imports. Like many here, I have a ten-lifetime supply of black, and white nail-polish needing use. Other than on my nails of course.

............... Chris

Sean - Thank you for answering my query about the recess, and Kudos to you for your work on all our behalf. I'm greatly encouraged by this news, I'll wait to see whether these new CV-M mounts become phased in on UK imports. Like many here, I have a ten-lifetime supply of black, and white nail-polish needing use. Other than on my nails of course.

............... Chris

This CV recess is a great development. Have a very Goth weekend.

Cheers,

Sean

Just received this lens. Couple of shots at f/2 and f/8. After sunset and overcast so long exposures on a tripod. I'll do some more testing with this lens over the weekend with better lighting. The light shining though the foliage is not the sun, just a neighbor's outside deck lamp.

f/8:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

f/2:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

There are links to the full size images on these pages if you want to pixel peep.

Just received this lens. Couple of shots at f/2 and f/8. After sunset and overcast so long exposures on a tripod. I'll do some more testing with this lens over the weekend with better lighting. The light shining though the foliage is not the sun, just a neighbor's outside deck lamp.

f/8:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

f/2:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

There are links to the full size images on these pages if you want to pixel peep.

The lens looks fine to me. Also remember, these orignial sized photos (I am assuming) are JPEG's straight out of the M8- and the RAW to JPEG converter in the M8 is pretty crummy. YOu can get an additional 300 lines/hieight in Adobe or other converters. This lens looks like a winner.

The lens looks fine to me. Also remember, these orignial sized photos (I am assuming) are JPEG's straight out of the M8- and the RAW to JPEG converter in the M8 is pretty crummy. YOu can get an additional 300 lines/hieight in Adobe or other converters. This lens looks like a winner.

The images were shot in RAW, processed in ACR, and converted to jpeg in CS3.

What make you think they are Jpeg's straight out of a M8???

Remember what happen when you ASS U ME.

2 I shot today.

f/8:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

f/2:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

Two more from today. Look at the full size images to examine detail. I don't see any pronounced CA on high contrast edges.

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

The shot of the fellow in what looks like a sports bar is interesting - the bokeh is nice in the midrange but has a severely-defined or 'chunky' look in the large highlight areas (window, light fixture, TV screen?).

Sean, maybe you can look for this sort of effect when reviewing?

It's sure sharp, though! I almost-almost ordered one for a travel lens, but will wait for review.

Kirk

[EDIT:

The coding was straight forward. Mu copy has a recessed area all around the mount. .

I got the lense today but i cannot find any reccessed area.....is it possible John Milich can mill recess on this 28/2 flange ?

f/8:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

f/2:

SchoPhoto | Recent Work

Carl,

Your copy apparently works better than mine or am I expecting too much?

Still have this week left to send the lens back and/or exchange.

Best regards,

Uwe

I am sorry to say that my copy is not what I was looking for. It has backfocus which get exaggerated when you stop down, is fairly soft wide open and seems to be softer in the center then the edges at all apertures, although that could be caused by the backfocus.

I'm going to contact Stephen on Monday and see what can be done.

By the way my findings are on 2 different M8's so it not my camera. Unless all my other lenses, including a CV 21mm, are off by the same amount and both my M8's are off the same equal amount.

My experience was just like yours. Severe backfocus & quite soft wide open.

[EDIT:

The coding was straight forward. Mu copy has a recessed area all around the mount.

I got the lense today but i cannot find any reccessed area.....is it possible John Milich can mill recess on this 28/2 flange ?

Your lens doesn't have a dropped/recessed area all around the mount? Like in this image.

Yes John can mill it. All you have to do is take the mount off and send it to him.

CA seems to need blown highlights to appear.

Interesting comparo here: Gallery Folder - photo.net

Any more flare test folks?

Thanks for the Link lct and to the person that did the tests.

To my eye the Ultron is close to the Cron at every aperture but the Cron wins out.

But then the current price of a Cron is $3995. That's 6.9 time more then the Ultron.

I just don't know about the Ultron. When out and about taking images it seems to perform fine but when setting down to do some tests it leaves me wondering.

Even if I send it back I won't be buying the Leica lens any time soon, all of the Leica lenses are now way out of my reach (Lucky for me I'm pretty well filled out in the lens department and I bought Leica lenses when they were less expensive).

Could be this lens has some slop in the focusing ring/cam and it is a real hit and miss type of thing. that shot of the guy in the bar was just "Bring the camera to my eye, focus quick, snap" and that was at f/2. I actually focused on the tip of his nose but yet the collar of his shirt is in focus.