New CV Ultron 28mm f2 on M8?

thompsonkirk

Is it just me, or do the corners look ummm..not very impressive, based on what I see here?

What corners from what image posted in this thread?

In the last image I posted, not the crop of it, the corner that you can actually see (make out well), lower right, looks OK to me, compared to the rest of the image.

That link was already posted, although just for the shots and not the commentary, by lct a few posts above.

After looking at the images from that comparison and reading the text of the commentary it is clear to me that those that own the 28 Cron are overly protective of there investment. The difference between these 2 lenses, at least in the test image in the link, show that the Cron is not, at todays prices for both lenses, 6.9 time better and IMHO not even 2 times better.

I've only got the Elmarit ASPH to test against but even using that lens the Ultron at f/2.8 is close to the Elmarit.

Also the Ultron, at least my copy, is wider then the Elmarit, noticeably.

I've really been up in the air as to keeping the ultron or sending it back. But since I only use a 28mm sometimes and I've liked the REAL images I've take with it Im going to think about selling the Elmarit ASPH, I have no need to 2 28mm lenses and I like the extra stop of the Ultron.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What corners from what image posted in this thread?

In the last image I posted, not the crop of it, the corner that you can actually see (make out well), lower right, looks OK to me, compared to the rest of the image.

For instance this one by Uwe, especially visible in the lower lefthand corner and edge. It seems to lose focus there.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am sorry to say that my copy is not what I was looking for. It has backfocus which get exaggerated when you stop down...

Perhaps it is designed to work at full aperture like the CV 35/1.4 SC. The latter's accurate at f/1.4 but back focusses near f/4 f/5.6...

For instance this one by Uwe, especially visible in the lower lefthand corner and edge. It seems to lose focus there.

Not surprising, as this part of the image seems to be well outside the depth of field. :o

The EXIF data says 1/4000 sec at 160 ISO which from the clouds and shadows strongly suggests that the aperture was f/2 (Uwe, can you confirm?).

Looking at the crops Uwe posted, the point of sharpest focus appears to be a metre or so beyond the fence. DoF with 0.02 mm CoC at 28mm f/2 is just under 2m.

The fence in the middle is sharp, if you look at the top of the doorway you see the sharpness dropping although it is parallel to the sensor plane. That is field curvature; surprisingly convex instead of the usual concave.

Hey people of the CV 28... does someone of you have experience with the "poor man" CV 28 ? I mean the f 3,5, of course; I saw one for sale... it's so compact that I feel tempted... I know I'm OT, sorry, but this seems a right thread ... :)

Luigi,

That is a fantastic lens! If I'm not wrong one of Sean Reid's favourites.

Never heard a single bad word about it!

Ciao!

Hey people of the CV 28... does someone of you have experience with the "poor man" CV 28 ? I mean the f 3,5, of course; I saw one for sale... it's so compact that I feel tempted... I know I'm OT, sorry, but this seems a right thread ... :)

A good copy of the 28/3.5 can be outstanding.

Cheers,

Sean

A good copy of the 28/3.5 can be outstanding.

Cheers,

Sean

Two of my best shots, both with the CV28/3.5. I've had enough sense now to remove it from the buy/sell section and keep it instead, as insurance in case my love affair with the new 28/2 Ultron goes off the boil....

Brick Lane Crossroads (say 25/3.5 in details but it was my 28/3.5)

Kentish Town Cutting

...and btw both shots have been printed at 16x12 and are edge to edge sharp....

Yes, the picture was taken @ full aperture.

Hmm, then I should probably get rid of my rangefinders and revert to AF-SLRs...

Actually, the fence was painted umpteen times already, so there's no wood grain detectable, but the screw and nail heads come out quite ok. I am quite happy with centre sharpness - although it's quite a small centre...

You are right though, off centre the point of sharpest focus appears well behind the fence despite the fence being parallel to the sensor plane (more or less, at least much less than 2 metres).

Best regards,

Uwe

I'm not seeing these problems with my copy, but then I'm sort of partial to f/8 for most of my work and wouldn't shoot landscapes at f/2 with any lens. If I shot a head and shoulders portrait at f/2 and the corners were a bit soft that would be just fine with me. Here is another for full frame scrutiny:

p372072873-5.jpg

Full Size

I got mine about a week ago, and took a few test shots while traveling. My first impressions are generally positive. The build quality is acceptable, as is the sharpness and color. Hey, for the price, it was an easy decision for me. Anyone want to buy my ZM28? :)

Here's a test shot.

Coolfonzies,

It is not clear, the test shot is from the Ultron or from the ZM28?

• 3 weeks later...