New CV Ultron 28mm f2 on M8?

thompsonkirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CA.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi LouisB

Thanks for your response. You can call me K C.

A Leica UV/IR filter was used for these shots but the lens has not been coded yet. At the moment, I'm considering whether to buy the m-coder. Anyway, I think it would not be any noticable difference if the focal length is not wider than 21mm.

Again, thx

K C

K C

I was a bit sceptical about the m-coder but it actually works. I have coded both this lens and my uncoded SAA90/2 (I know it is not essential for the latter but I like the Exif data to include the lens).

LouisB

K C

I was a bit sceptical about the m-coder but it actually works. I have coded both this lens and my uncoded SAA90/2 (I know it is not essential for the latter but I like the Exif data to include the lens).

LouisB

LouisB

I will order the M-coder tomorrow mainly for coding my cv 15mm:D

Thx

K C

Hi LouisB

Thanks for your response. You can call me K C.

A Leica UV/IR filter was used for these shots but the lens has not been coded yet. At the moment, I'm considering whether to buy the m-coder. Anyway, I think it would not be any noticable difference if the focal length is not wider than 21mm.

Again, thx

K C

You can see cyan drift even with a 35.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I did about half of a ten hour shoot with the CV 28/2.0 and, so far, my take is that this may be one of the best lenses they've yet introduced. Still need to do all the tests, etc. but that's my gut sense as of today. The files I'm looking at from this lens on the M8 are really gorgeous.

Cheers,

Sean

Yesterday I did about half of a ten hour shoot with the CV 28/2.0 and, so far, my take is that this may be one of the best lenses they've yet introduced. Still need to do all the tests, etc. but that's my gut sense as of today. The files I'm looking at from this lens on the M8 are really gorgeous.

Cheers,

Sean

I just hope the copy that is on it's way to me is as good as the one you have.

I just hope the copy that is on it's way to me is as good as the one you have.

I hope that, after testing, it reveals itself to be as good as it has seemed so far. And if it is that good, I hope other copies are as well. As you'll know from my past lens tests, the lenses I get are anything but hand-picked. I just get whatever is at hand and sometimes I get duff copies.

Cheers,

Sean

Cheers,

Sean

That is my sense so far, although I hasten to add that I have only owned the CV12, 15, 28/3.5 and 50/1.5 so far. Actually, I'd be interested to know if you think it is better than the 50/1.5 which, let's face it, is stunning by anyone's measure.

LouisB

I receive my copy yesterday and set out to do some tests between the Ultron and my elmarit 2.8 ASPH.

Color is good, notice it is a little soft at f/2 but I don't have a Cron f/2 to check it against. @ f/2.8 it is hard to see any difference between the 2 lenses, unless you pixels peep and then the Elmarit shows a little more detail. I haven't printed any of the images yet but I will this evening.

I will post some of the comparisons this evening also.

EDIT:

The coding was straight forward. Mu copy has a recessed area all around the mount. Marked a rear lens cap with the positions of the coding indents and locking recess on a Leica lens. Placed that cap on the Ultron and marked the barrel. Looked up the code for a 28/2 ASPH and put magic marker marks in the recessed area and it reads as a 28/2 on both my M8's.

This recessed area is not on my CV 21mm M-Mount lens so I have to keep a eye on it to make sure the lens is being seen by the camera. With the 28 Ultron I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it. I've had the lens on and off both M8 numerous times and it is always recognized.

Either CV is getting smarter, putting a recess on the mount for hand coding, or I just got lucky.

All in all I find the lens a keeper, so far. Especially for the cost of it. 1/3 what the 28 Elmarit ASPH cost today and close to that for what I paid for it a little over a year ago.

....coding ... a recessed area all around the mount.....Either CV is getting smarter, putting a recess on the mount for hand coding, or I just got lucky..

I too would like to know whether it is smartness or luck as up to now I've been very sceptical about M mount CV lenses rather than Thread Mounts because of coding issues. Are others finding that this Ultron's flange is recessed for better coding?

.................. Chris

Here are a couple I shot the other day... I don't see a lot of CA, though I don't count myself as an expert. I cropped them to get closer to the branches. Converted in LR.

Anyway I just had these lying around, and I hope they're what you're looking for, lct.

Lens with UV/IR, as yet uncoded.

ben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I receive my copy yesterday and set out to do some tests between the Ultron and my elmarit 2.8 ASPH.

Color is good, notice it is a little soft at f/2 but I don't have a Cron f/2 to check it against. @ f/2.8 it is hard to see any difference between the 2 lenses, unless you pixels peep and then the Elmarit shows a little more detail. I haven't printed any of the images yet but I will this evening.

I will post some of the comparisons this evening also.

EDIT:

The coding was straight forward. Mu copy has a recessed area all around the mount. Marked a rear lens cap with the positions of the coding indents and locking recess on a Leica lens. Placed that cap on the Ultron and marked the barrel. Looked up the code for a 28/2 ASPH and put magic marker marks in the recessed area and it reads as a 28/2 on both my M8's.

This recessed area is not on my CV 21mm M-Mount lens so I have to keep a eye on it to make sure the lens is being seen by the camera. With the 28 Ultron I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it. I've had the lens on and off both M8 numerous times and it is always recognized.

Either CV is getting smarter, putting a recess on the mount for hand coding, or I just got lucky.

All in all I find the lens a keeper, so far. Especially for the cost of it. 1/3 what the 28 Elmarit ASPH cost today and close to that for what I paid for it a little over a year ago.

Hi Ed,

How tight were your focus bracketing steps? A good copy of the 28/1.9 already resolves at least as well as the 28 Elmarit ASPH at F/2.8.

Cheers,

Sean

I too would like to know whether it is smartness or luck as up to now I've been very sceptical about M mount CV lenses rather than Thread Mounts because of coding issues. Are others finding that this Ultron's flange is recessed for better coding?

.................. Chris

It is no accident. They've found a way to make self coding more durable without violating any patents with the 6-bit code. This recess is one of the ideas I've been discussing with their US importer for a couple of years now. I coded my test copy in a couple minutes and the coding ink (will be paint eventually) doesn't get rubbed by the mounting/dismounting of the lens.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Ed,

How tight were your focus bracketing steps? A good copy of the 28/1.9 already resolves at least as well as the 28 Elmarit ASPH at F/2.8.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean NO bracketing at all. These were just shots while I was walking to and from a meeting. I'd take a shot with one of the lenses, stand in the same place and TRY TO REMEMBER exactly where/what I focused on, take one lens off and put the other on, focus as I would normally (That is the way I'm going to use the lens/camera) and take another shot. With the Ultron I did take 2 shots most of the time, one @ f/2 and another @ f/2.8.

I've never even seen a Leica 28/2 ASPH let alone have one on my M8's so I have no point of reference to that lens.

Let me add that I'm under the firm belief that faster lenses allow more light into/through then lens at the same f/stop then slower lenses enabling you to have a slightly faster shutter speed with the faster lens then slower lenses at the same f/stop. I notice this with my 50 Cron and Lux and now with the 28/2 ultron and the 28/2.8 Elmarit. It seems that with Ultron I get about 1/3-1/2 stop more light through the lens @ the same f/stop.

There was a post about this recently, actually about how slow the Elmarit can feel in lower light areas. I think is just the Elmarit enherently doesn't allow a lot of light through the lens even though it is a f/2.8 lens.

Maybe I crazy.