New CV Ultron 28mm f2 on M8?

thompsonkirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone used the new CV Ultron 28mm f2 on their M8?

The CameraQuest site says it's smaller & 'improved' in comparison to the f1.9.

I've been using a CV 28 f1.9 while waiting for Leica lens coding, & am not sure about it. It doesn't resolve too well at wider apertures. And I also wonder about its color rendition - with both C1v4 & ACR, the blues sometimes look off to me. The 'plus' that I've noticed is lower contrast for shooting in direct sunlight.

So I can see how improvements could be made in a new version. But after reading the Reid review of the improved & more compact CV 35 Nokton, I wonder if the 28mm 'improvement' will also include focus shifts.

It would be nice if there were a $600 lens that really competed with the Summicron!

Kirk

PS,I should add I'm not snobbish about other CVs - I'm really pleased with my CV 25 that performs remarkably well & doesn't get in the way of the viewfinder.

Guest DuquesneG

I've got the 1.9 and the 28 Summicron was one I sold to help finance my second M8. The difference in performance wide open might be something that lens testers would call major, but in real pix I didn't see it as all that significant. I suppose if I consistently blew up the corners of my shots to 100%---but I don't. The new lens would have to be "as good as" the Summicron for me to trade the 1.9. Since there's no way for me to get my hands one one short of buying it, I'll wait for Sean Reid to test it. I agree with most of what he's said about other lenses that I have compared myself, so I trust him here. One thing Cameraquest has wrong: the 1.9 does have a focusing tab. Actually it's a little screw-in nub, but it works.

Best,

Gordon

I have shot a few frames with Tom Abrahamson's Ultron F2.0 on my M8. I also have the 1.9. Nothing scientific :) but I find this lens to be excellent value and will purchase it once I have sold my 1.9.

Without much photographic proof - my sense is the F2.0 is a better lens but that will take a Sean Reid style review to verify.

It is certainly ergonomically better than the 1.9. In either case of the 1.9 or the new F2.0 both are excellent value in my humble opinion.

Tom A. says it is a stellar performer and has done some comparisons with various other 28mm lenses. Tom does not shoot with the M8 and is a SUPER black and white rangefinder film shooter. You can read his comments on this lens on rangefinder forum in his special section on the forum.

Best Regards. Terry.

I don't have a M8 yet, ( first I wait for the Photokina 2008:-)

But I already have bought the CV 28m F1.9 specially for my future M8,

Not that I don't trust the new CV Ultron F2, but I liked the photos that I saw on the

the unofficial Cosina-Voigtlander User Community - Home webiste (Asparagus with green beans.jpg and the Bottlecaps.jpg photos)

I liked the dreamy, old-skool look of it, sharp in the middle and soft in the corners, the

sample shots I saw from the new F2 on Flickr were to modern for me, too sharp, I prefer

the rendering of the F1.9 instead....

I'll have one by Monday to start playing with.

Comparisons will be done with my current lovely Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Biogon.

Obviously, I will compare both lenses @ f2.8 but I will do some shots @ f2.0 (clearly).

I just want to see how it stacks up against the Biogon.

Cheers,

Dave

[quote

It would be nice if there were a $600 lens that really competed with the Summicron!

Agreed. It was the blue cast that made me reject the VC25 in favour of the (vasty more expensive) Elmarit 24. I posted two images at "Elmarit 24mm on M8". There was one comparitive shot I made, somdays before – 35mmSummicron/25mmVC – with a weathered green plastic chair in view. No matter what Photoshop changes I made I could not match the true chair colour, whereas the Summicron was spot on.

How will an M8 shooter code this new CV 28/2.0 lens?

Send the entire lens to Milich for milling or what?

Just askin' . . .

-g

You will have to unmount the flange yourself and mail it to John for milling. He mails it back and you remount it. I've done it with three different lenses.

- Is it as good as the excellent 1.9/28, it replaced? According to initial informal tests, yes.

-CHECK

- At $600 is it thousands cheaper than the 2/28 Summicron ASPH? Yes.

- CHECK

- Does it intrude on the 28mm framelines (37mm on M8)? No, or very little.

- CHECK

- If there is a sharper alternative, will buying it make me a better photographer? No.

- CHECK

- Is it optically better than the 28mm Gary Winogrand or any of the other masters shot with? Yes.

- CHECK

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me...

;-)

I got mine about a week ago, and took a few test shots while traveling. My first impressions are generally positive. The build quality is acceptable, as is the sharpness and color. Hey, for the price, it was an easy decision for me. Anyone want to buy my ZM28? :)

Here's a test shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

- Is it as good as the excellent 1.9/28, it replaced? According to initial informal tests, yes.

-CHECK

- CHECK

- CHECK

- If there is a sharper alternative, will buying it make me a better photographer? No.

- CHECK

- Is it optically better than the 28mm Gary Winogrand or any of the other masters shot with? Yes.

- CHECK

;-)

Be VERY careful! Making just this kind of statement by me on this forum has unleased a torrent of anger, hatred, and name calling from those that worship at the Leica alter! Imagine, a set of lenses (from Voigtlander) that are 1/10th to 1/6th the cost of Leica glass that perform almost as well- so well that many photogs could not objectively tell the difference in most situations? Be warned........... these people spending thousands on lenses want to justify their purchase and defend it........... Stay away from this forum with objective thinking.............

• Like 1

Has anyone used the new CV Ultron 28mm f2 on their M8?

The CameraQuest site says it's smaller & 'improved' in comparison to the f1.9.

I've been using a CV 28 f1.9 while waiting for Leica lens coding, & am not sure about it. It doesn't resolve too well at wider apertures. And I also wonder about its color rendition - with both C1v4 & ACR, the blues sometimes look off to me. The 'plus' that I've noticed is lower contrast for shooting in direct sunlight.

So I can see how improvements could be made in a new version. But after reading the Reid review of the improved & more compact CV 35 Nokton, I wonder if the 28mm 'improvement' will also include focus shifts.

Kirk

PS,I should add I'm not snobbish about other CVs - I'm really pleased with my CV 25 that performs remarkably well & doesn't get in the way of the viewfinder.

Hi Kirk,

The 35/1.4 wasn't intended to be an improved version of the 35/1.2 but rather a new lens that emulates the Leica 35/1.4 Pre-ASPH. The 28/2.0, however, is intended to replace the 28/1.9 and I'll start testing it as soon as my review sample arrives. I'm hoping that's next week.

A good copy of the 28/1.9 should resolve very well even wide open. The lens' tendency to flare, however, can be a particular problem when a filter is mounted to it (esp. when light sources appear in the frame). So what I'd most like to see in the new lens is an improved set of coatings.

Cheers,

Sean

I've got the 1.9 and the 28 Summicron was one I sold to help finance my second M8. The difference in performance wide open might be something that lens testers would call major, but in real pix I didn't see it as all that significant.

This lens tester would call the differences at F/2.0 pretty subtle.

Cheers,

Sean

-CHECK

- CHECK

- CHECK

- CHECK

- CHECK

;-)

I like your check list.

Cheers,

Sean

I got one last week and used a few times at my newspaper job and find it to be very nice to handle and the results are quite sharp. I got it to bridge the gap between the WATE and my existing 35mm Sumicron. It doesn't have the amazing contrast and rich color of the WATE, but it compares favorably with the M lenses I've had since the 1970's. I've gone on vacation for a couple of weeks so haven't used it since last week.

Be VERY careful! Making just this kind of statement by me on this forum has unleased a torrent of anger, hatred, and name calling from those that worship at the Leica alter! Imagine, a set of lenses (from Voigtlander) that are 1/10th to 1/6th the cost of Leica glass that perform almost as well- so well that many photogs could not objectively tell the difference in most situations? Be warned........... these people spending thousands on lenses want to justify their purchase and defend it........... Stay away from this forum with objective thinking.............

It's therapy.

I have bag of Leica glass that will have to be pried from my cold dead hands, but at the end of the day I have to shoot and unfortunately I'm not made of money...

;-)