Leicaflex mirror problem

JBA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My newly acquired Leicaflex SL2 has developed a problem with the mirror after shooting my first roll of film. Now the mirror will lock in the up position without tripping the shutter when the shutter release is pressed; pressing it a second time will fire the shutter. This is now happening frequently enough that I'm hesitant to load another roll.

The obvious answer is that it needs CLA, but that won't even be possible for a few weeks and I really want to use it in the meantime.

Has anybody experienced this same problem? Any idea what the cause might be? Any easy temporary fix?

The Leicaflex SL and SL2 have no mirror lock-up control, so the problem I described is not any kind of normal function. Also, it happens arbitrarily. A number of times, advancing the film locked the mirror in the up position. This is disconcerting, but at least most of the time it functions properly.

I'm just wondering if this is some sort of known problem with the Leicaflexes.

Probably time for a CLA.

There's a trick with any SL to use it with mirror lock. If you flick the shutter release with your finger the mirror will move to the up position without the shutter firing. You can then press the shutter to take the shot with mirror lock.

It sounds as if there's something sticking in your shutter mechanism.

I've diagnosed the problem to the diaphragm functioning of two lenses. The 90 Summicron's diaphragm is sluggish in closing and the 19 Elmarit"s in opening back up once it has closed down. This affects the camera's aperture arm, which apparently cannot return fully when using these two lenses. Then, when I wind on, the mirror goes up. Taking off the lens and pushing the aperture arm back down brings the mirror back down.

My conclusion is that CLA is the only cure.

• 6 months later...

Hi JBA!

I also recently purchased a Leicaflex sl, and encoutered the same problem halfway through my second roll. I put the mirror back, and it was fine until about 5 pictures down my 3rd roll. Now it happens all the time, with or without lens mounted , and with or without film in the camera...

Did you ever found a way to fix yours?

And how about the CLA in Tokyo? How much is it and how long does it take?

Thank you so much for your help!

Kindest regards to all,

C.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi xxxceli,

I've checked at Lemon in Ginza, which has overhauled my M6 and repaired my 90 Summicron-R, which had oil on the aperture blades. When I asked them about CLAing the Leicaflex, they said they can't do it because the parts aren't available. Then I asked at Leica Ginza about getting the 1/2000 shutter speed problem fixed, and was told that Leica has no shutter blocks for the SL2. My hope is that Kanto Camera Service will be able to fix it, but so far no idea about the cost.

The problem could be simply lack of use, my SL2 had shutter lag @1/2000, winding and firing without film in the camera about 50 times @ 1/2000 cleared the problem. This method was suggested by a Lecia dealer. It has not shown any problems for the past two years.

The problem could be simply lack of use, my SL2 had shutter lag @1/2000, winding and firing without film in the camera about 50 times @ 1/2000 cleared the problem. This method was suggested by a Lecia dealer. It has not shown any problems for the past two years.

Tried that and it didn't work. If I take off the lens and point the camera at a light source, I can clearly see that the shutter is still not opening on the left side of the frame, which leaves the right side of photos entirely black.

• 10 years later...
On 3/1/2009 at 8:56 AM, xxxceli said:

Hi JBA!

I also recently purchased a Leicaflex sl, and encoutered the same problem halfway through my second roll. I put the mirror back, and it was fine until about 5 pictures down my 3rd roll. Now it happens all the time, with or without lens mounted , and with or without film in the camera...

Did you ever found a way to fix yours?

And how about the CLA in Tokyo? How much is it and how long does it take?

Thank you so much for your help!

Kindest regards to all,

C.

Hi,

I just bought an SL on eBay, and found that issue about 2/3 through my first roll. I know this is an "ancient" thread, but I hope someone can respond regarding the resolution, CLA or otherwise.

• 2 years later...

I had the mirror lock-up problem last year with a 100mm f4 macro Elmar I bought from Italy. It was fine optically but battered externally. The built in hood was missing and the focus was loose. Front element is recessed so no need for a hood. It locked up the mirror on my mk1 Standard Leicaflex and the aperture remained stopped down. Tried it on an SL and although the aperture remains stopped down, it doesn’t affect the body. I intend using it for outdoor portraits.

I dare not mount or use it on my R8 pair, I simply cannot imagine what effect it would have on the extremely complicated electronic programs and multiple exposure modes the R8 has crammed inside the ‘hunchback of Solms? ‘

• 3 months later...