• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ammitsboel,

I used the GTI PDV-2e/M Multi-Source Portable Desktop Viewer;

Thanks, interesting.

It's odd, I just did a tungsten test shot and your profile shows too much saturation. When I auto calibrate in the DNG profile editor I get much less saturation. I use a lightbulb.

How much lux is in that booth?

I wonder what this difference could be and if I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: ups, could be firmware differences, I'm using 1.102

hi all... i'm reading all these interesting stuff but i still can't install the profile... can anyone help? i'm using window vista home premium edition

this is the path to my lightroom C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2

but i don't know where to put it...:confused:

any help will be great!

You need to install the profile here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Camera Raw\Camera Profiles\Adobe Standard beta 1. You will first need to make sure you have updated your ACR to version 4.5, and than have downloaded and installed the Adobe Profile Editor and Adobe Standard beta 1 profiles.

Maybe the best approach would be to always shoot a frame using a good gray card or a WhiBal card in order to get a good starting point, then open in ACR with your custom profile selected and do a one click adjustment to all images shot under the same light conditions. Seems like it would be hard to go wrong with that process.

Some grey cards are not specifically neutral, I think, only meant for an exposure standard. I'm sure that the Whibal would be neutral. I'm just learning on this custom profiling, but I do use the x-rite mini color checker in one frame to set the WB for a group of photos in similar light. A quick click with the WB sampler on the second lightest patch in the Raw converter and I have a great neutral WB easily synchronised to every shot.

Some grey cards are not specifically neutral, I think, only meant for an exposure standard. I'm sure that the Whibal would be neutral. I'm just learning on this custom profiling, but I do use the x-rite mini color checker in one frame to set the WB for a group of photos in similar light. A quick click with the WB sampler on the second lightest patch in the Raw converter and I have a great neutral WB easily synchronised to every shot.

This would be a somewhat less expensive alternative:

X-Rite: 421868 : Mini ColorChecker Gray Scale

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need to install the profile here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Camera Raw\Camera Profiles\Adobe Standard beta 1. You will first need to make sure you have updated your ACR to version 4.5, and than have downloaded and installed the Adobe Profile Editor and Adobe Standard beta 1 profiles.

thanks!!! i finally got it to work! :D

i find the adobe standard beta 1 profile is warmer tone and accurate WB. The downloaded M8 custom profile WB is bit off...but that's just me first reaction looking at one photo, will do some proper investigation later :cool:

thanks again!!!

thanks!!! i finally got it to work! :D

i find the adobe standard beta 1 profile is warmer tone and accurate WB. The downloaded M8 custom profile WB is bit off...but that's just me first reaction looking at one photo, will do some proper investigation later :cool:

thanks again!!!

The Profiles have nothing to do with the WB. That is separate from any and all profiles.

When using the profiles you should always set the WB in LR or ACR if you feel it is off.

See this comment explained well by Brent earlier in this thread:

My understanding of this whole process, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the objective is to get colors correct in relation to each other. So if you start with an image that is not properly white balanced, simply clicking on the M8 profile you have worked up and saved won't get rid of any unwanted color cast. In other words, if you start with an image that has a magenta cast, open it in your RAW converter and select one of the saved profiles, you will still have an image with a magenta cast. Is that not correct?

and this

As a test to the above statement, I first shot the chart below under fluorescent light with the M8 set for tungsten, so as to get an improper WB. I then shot it using the Fluorescent WB setting. Both images were opened in ACR 4.5 with the Mares Custom profile selected.

Attached Images

Brent

Brent Nicastro Photography

Where and how: the profiles available for each camera appear at the top of the Camera Calibration section of the right panel in the Develop module. ACR 4.4 should appear with the option to select others. If the custom profile is properly installed, it will be a choice in the drop down list.

You are all welcome. Hopefully this will start a collective effort to fine tune the profile(the reason for the recipe). As was stated you can send the profile you create from the editor using the export command & it will send it to the profiles folder in camera raw, or just drop the dcp file in the folder if you don't want to mess with the editor.

http://fjmaresphoto.com/M8%20DNG%20Profile/M8%20Adobe%20Beta%20Standard_custom.dcpr

http://fjmaresphoto.com/M8%20DNG%20Profile/M8%20Digital%20Camera_custom.dcp

What is the difference between the dcp and dcpr files? I don't currently see any dcpr files in the "Adobe standard beta 1" folder so not sure what it is or where it goes.

Thanks.

Meaning the dcpr file is used by the profile editor to make the end product dcp file that is used by ACR/Lightroom?

you take a DNG image/file and load it into the Profile editor. Then you can make a zillion changes to how it looks. Color tables, Tone Curve, Color Matrices. Then when you have it where you like it you can save those changes as a recipe and then Export that recipe as a Camera Profile. If after you apply that camera Profile to a image you think it needs to be tweaked in one area or another you open the recipe file you used to create the finished profile and make changes to it. You can NOT make any changes to the finished, exported, Camera Profile. Well you can but once a recipe is exported and then brought back into the PE every adjustment slider is back at Zero.

If you don't save the changes you made as a recipe you have to start from scratch to make the changes you think it needs. Once you make those second changes you can again save that recipe with a new name. That way you have the original recipe and the new one. you can also export this new recipe using a different name, and or version number, so you can go into LR or ACR and napply the original and the new one to see which one you like. you can keep doing that over and over. Or you can do what I've done and throw all the recipes and profiles you already created away and start fresh.

Where and how: the profiles available for each camera appear at the top of the Camera Calibration section of the right panel in the Develop module. ACR 4.4 should appear with the option to select others. If the custom profile is properly installed, it will be a choice in the drop down list.

In theory, Lightroom was designed so that you would work your way down the develop module starting at WB and moving on from there. Does it seem strange that the profiles would live at the bottom of the adjustments pane so that each time your work on another shot you have to scroll down (unless you apply as a preset on import)?

Also, are people applying the profile first before tweaking their WB?

TEB,

I have set camera raw module up such that my custom module is automatically the default option chosen when an M8 DNG file is opened,Since that is the case I just start with the usual workflow of exposure , tonal adjustments, skip the brightness & contrast, adjust clarity, vibrance & saturation as needed then jump to the tone curve for any tweaks, sometimes back to the basic sliders if need be. I don't touch the camera calibration unless i want to try another stored profile, then I would go back & adjust WB, et al if needed.(Of course in PSCS3). I haven't been able to play with LR 2 yet as I just received the upgrade software today.

TEB,

I have set camera raw module up such that my custom module is automatically the default option chosen when an M8 DNG file is opened,Since that is the case I just start with the usual workflow of exposure , tonal adjustments, skip the brightness & contrast, adjust clarity, vibrance & saturation as needed then jump to the tone curve for any tweaks, sometimes back to the basic sliders if need be. I don't touch the camera calibration unless i want to try another stored profile, then I would go back & adjust WB, et al if needed.(Of course in PSCS3). I haven't been able to play with LR 2 yet as I just received the upgrade software today.

Thanks,

I will have to work on this because I have 4 cameras from 4 different companies. There are actually six different Nikon profiles and I have found that I some images look better with different profiles. So, setting a preset is a pain for me.

I finally had the chance to install LR 2 & the profiles all appeared in ther calibration panel for all camera types that I profiled. I have not found a way to have the software default to a profile as in CRaw in PSCS3, but perhaps there is a way I have not found yet.I know one could set a preset but I think one would have to choose it from the preset menu still.Thoughts appreciated