Custom M8 DNG profiles

fjmcsu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If there is any color cast on the Macbeth Colorchecker when it was shot, you get a pop-up when trying to do the base chart profile in the profile editor telling you that a strong color cast has been detected in the fourth row (gray squares) and to re-shoot the chart. Basically, it's not possible to do the chart method unless you start with a proper white balance.

Yes, I've noticed that.

But I still wonder what the margin is between acceptable and not acceptable for the editor.

I wonder were the saturation comes from in these photos we have seen with the new profile? Was there done any special things while profiling?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brian,

The Camera Raw Plug-in in Mac OSX should be placed in:

HD\library\application support\Adobe\plug-ins\file formats\

Maurice

Thanks for that Maurice but I, like Misha, don't have that folder. I don't have CS3 (or any CS/PS) installed - well actually i have an old PSE2 which I use for perspective correction only.

Under Adobe the folder structure is

Adobe->Camera Raw->CameraProfiles->Adobe Standard beta 1 and also

Adobe->Camera Raw->CameraProfiles->Camera Beta 1

Usually the procedure has been to create a plug-ins folder etc. for first use. I'll try that and see.

Greetings to all,

A profile I found immensely useful is Jamie's C1 efforts (thank you Jamie) when the M8 came out. To that end I managed to get very close to it with the profile editor. Yesterday at a local festival when I was shooting a few frames with Tom's Abramhamson's 18mm F4 ZM lens - it had no UV/IR filter as Tom shoots film exclusively.

When reviewing I noticed that ugly black purple in those shots - and using my profiling effort I managed to get black and was happy with the end result. What an extremely useful tool from Adobe.

Thank you to all who contributed (especially the OP) to this thread.

Best to all. Terry.

Yes, I've noticed that.

But I still wonder what the margin is between acceptable and not acceptable for the editor.

I wonder were the saturation comes from in these photos we have seen with the new profile? Was there done any special things while profiling?

When taking pictures of the Macbeth chart nothing done other than to take TWO images one under ~6500K& the other under ~2850K.I didn't measure the light sources but my viewing booth is a D65 booth & the light bulb used was Tungsten.I tried to adjust the Color temperature in the Profile editor to those levels as they were close . Perhaps this is where there might be a slight WB difference .

When taking pictures of the Macbeth chart nothing done other than to take TWO images one under ~6500K& the other under ~2850K.I didn't measure the light sources but my viewing booth is a D65 booth & the light bulb used was Tungsten.I tried to adjust the Color temperature in the Profile editor to those levels as they were close . Perhaps this is where there might be a slight WB difference .

I used an Expodisc to set WB manually under both fluorescent and tungsten lighting when shooting the macbeth chart and still got a pop-up in the Profile Editor telling me there was a significant color cast in column 1 of the 4th row and to try shooting it again. I'm not sure what this says about the Expodisc.

Your profile looks much better to me than any of the ones I've made or that were supplied by Adobe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting; I didn't use my ExpoDisc but used the Daylight & Tungsten settings on the M8. Perhaps the recent firmware update really did improve the WB !!

The automatic profiler will overrule the WB setting.

Thanks, interesting about the viewing booth.

I did one for the 5D in natural lighting 5000K and used the "both" setting, it has very low saturation. I'll try the M8 soon.

But first you have to be able to get the profiler to set the starting points for the chart, and it won't do that if there is a color cast in the original DNG of the Macbeth chart.

Yes, but it really has nothing to do with WB or the fact that you used an Expodisc. I'm guessing that your WB probably was fine, but you had an reflection in the chart. Try looking hard at the patches while you turn and change angle with the chart and look for changing colors as the light hits differently, choose an angle that has the least reflection and do a well exposed shot of that angle.

I wonder though, if one gets slightly better results from nailing the WB at the shot?

I have the Color Eyes camera profiler, it's a pain to shoots right. compared to the Color Eyes, the DNG profile editor is a piece of cake.

I'm guessing that your WB probably was fine, but you had an reflection in the chart. Try looking hard at the patches while you turn and change angle with the chart and look for changing colors as the light hits differently, choose an angle that has the least reflection and do a well exposed shot of that angle.

This is a jpeg of the one of the DNG shots of the chart I used. The lighting is about as even and reflection free as it could possibly be. Using the Expodisc, I had DNG files of the chart rejected from 3 different lighting set-ups and all were evenly lit. I'm still not sure what's up with that.

My understanding of this whole process, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the objective is to get colors correct in relation to each other. So if you start with an image that is not properly white balanced, simply clicking on the M8 profile you have worked up and saved won't get rid of any unwanted color cast. In other words, if you start with an image that has a magenta cast, open it in your RAW converter and select one of the saved profiles, you will still have an image with a magenta cast. Is that not correct?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As a test to the above statement, I first shot the chart below under fluorescent light with the M8 set for tungsten, so as to get an improper WB. I then shot it using the Fluorescent WB setting. Both images were opened in ACR 4.5 with the Mares Custom profile selected.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I agree that these profiles are not meant to get rid of any color cast as you have stated & we still have the ability to correct the WB as need be in the RAW converter.

My comment regarding not using the Expodisc relates to the fact it appeared that the WB arrived at by the camera was good enough to proceed (no rejected by the profiler);

Why the rejection using the Expodisc is perplexing to me.

I understand the WB is reset by the profiler if there is not a stong cast as was stated earlier.The Fors calibrator in similar fashion adjusted the WB of the chart.Perhaps those color experts more educated could address the Expodisc phenomenon!

Maybe the best approach would be to always shoot a frame using a good gray card or a WhiBal card in order to get a good starting point, then open in ACR with your custom profile selected and do a one click adjustment to all images shot under the same light conditions. Seems like it would be hard to go wrong with that process.

Mares, what viewing booth do you use?

And did you mingle with the lamps in the booth to create 2850K?

Brent, I'm not saying you are as stupid as I was at first.

But the first few times I did the chart I didn't see those four circles you need to place in the corners patches of the chart, so I tried to do as I do with the script by using the tool to create a selected area which of course didn't work and it said that I had a colorcast every time. Don't know if you understand me?

Maybe the best approach would be to always shoot a frame using a good gray card or a WhiBal card in order to get a good starting point, then open in ACR with your custom profile selected and do a one click adjustment to all images shot under the same light conditions. Seems like it would be hard to go wrong with that process.

About this I agree with some people that say that photographers don't understand color. Maybe it would be an advantage as a photographer to try not to thing of fixed color, but instead think that every photo needs their own kind of color interpretation?

Mares, what viewing booth do you use?

And did you mingle with the lamps in the booth to create 2850K?

Brent, I'm not saying you are as stupid as I was at first.

But the first few times I did the chart I didn't see those four circles you need to place in the corners patches of the chart, so I tried to do as I do with the script by using the tool to create a selected area which of course didn't work and it said that I had a colorcast every time. Don't know if you understand me?

:D:D:D I did the circles, so that wasn't the problem.

About this I agree with some people that say that photographers don't understand color. Maybe it would be an advantage as a photographer to try not to thing of fixed color, but instead think that every photo needs their own kind of color interpretation?

For me, the name of the game is consistency. I want to be able to get the same reds, blues, etc., when using different cameras, and I also want to get consistent results with the same camera when shooting under different lighting conditions. If I photograph someone with hot lights and they are wearing a red sweater, I want to be able to get the same red when shooting the person under fluorescent light, or outdoors on a cloudy day. Isn't that the value of these profiles?

hi all... i'm reading all these interesting stuff but i still can't install the profile... can anyone help? i'm using window vista home premium edition

this is the path to my lightroom C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2

but i don't know where to put it...:confused:

any help will be great!