Custom M8 DNG profiles

fjmcsu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did some custom profiles this evening not thinking there would be much difference from the Adobe Standard Beta 1(M8) profile. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better the color rendition was on the custom profile.I had used the Fors calibrator previously with varying results particularly since I DONT shoot in controlled environments(WB) usually. The DNG profiles editor was very easy to use & quick! Pictures are without any manipulation except sRGB conversion & output sharpening for web and conversion to the profiles in camera raw.

First picture Adobe standard beta 1(M8), second custom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, here's a quick and dirty comparison. ACR 4.4 first, then your profile. The M8 profile image is certainly a bit more saturated - look at the red bucket inside the doorway. The surface of the paella looks better too to my eyes. I wonder how this would affect the comparison that Jaap did between the M8 and DMR?

Thanks again for making the profile available. You were the first, but I suspect not the last <grin>. Just checked at Calumet and a Macbeth colour checker is just over £50. I'm tempted to go and get one.

Interestingly the differences are much more obvious on my 23" iMac that when I look at the images on my MacBook - both running firefox. Not a clue why that might be.

Francisco, do you mind if I let people on the LUG know about your profile?

Thanks

Thanks for making this available.

Here are 3 images. First one has some WB and ACR sharpening, 6000 tint +12 amount 55 detail 65.

Second is that same image with the WB and your profile.

Third is the base image with no WB adjustment, your profile and the same ACR sharpening.

The second and third images were opened in ACR 4.5 adjustments made then saved as DNG's then ACR was canceled to preserve the original. I then ran them through a PS CS3 action to make them ready for the web.

Shot was taken with 50 Lux ASPH @ f/1.4.

Later today I will have some profiles to share.

I would be happy to set up a web page with links to all the profiles that we create and are willing to share here.

I think that would be a good idea, Andy. And I will suggest again that there should be a new sub-forum set up for post-processing issues such as this.

To all who have entered the thread please feel free to distribute the profile. I have also added the recipe based on the Adobe standard M8 profile for those who would like to tweak to their taste;Steve feel free to let LUG know & Andy feel free to host as you wish!I also placed this in the the DNG Profile thread in the digital section.

http://fjmaresphoto.com/M8%20DNG%20P...rd_custom.dcpr

I tried it with a few of my pics, I think the color is great!! but it seems to throw off the as shot WB tad bit. I donno if this has anything to do with the profile.. Will post pics later.

It's visible in the other pics, the colors are somewhat better but the WB is off compared to the original. But it doesn't hurt with the warmer colors though.

Maybe the macbeth chart used for profiling was shot under difficult lighting or had a reflection that changed the colors a bit?

My 5D custom profile is very neutral.

Great.......but....:confused:

Where we have to put the profile, how can I use it in Cs3 ?

Thanks anyway.

Efra

Efra, you need to put the profile here depending upon your OS:

here are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

On Windows 2000 / XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Support\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

To play with the recipe you need this editor:

DNG Profiles: - Adobe Labs

The profile was made under Tungsten & D 65 lighting as best as I could do at my studio. I also adjusted the WB to the 2850 & 6500 K levels in the DNG editor. Obviously one will want to adjust the WB when in Camera Raw just as one would during the RAW workflow!

Great.......but....:confused:

Where we have to put the profile, how can I use it in Cs3 ?

Thanks anyway.

Efra

If you're running Windows XP you put the profiles in

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles.

If you're running Mac I don't know but there is a FAQ and tutorials for PE and profiles at the Adobe Labs website.

Both Lightroom 2 and ACR (ACR is included with PS CS3 although you need to download and install the newest version of ACR, 4.5, to use the new profile) uses the same directory/folder to look for different profiles.