The Dreaded M8 & D700 ... um ... "Thing"!

Kent10D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IWe all use a darn computer for everything these days and quite frankly, it has become the most shallow, self serving and anti-intrepid device man kind could have put between him self and the natural world.

I have to disagee with this. Without the computer we wouldn't be communicating on this forum. The advent of the computer has brought lots of wonderful things that weren't possible in the past.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to disagee with this. Without the computer we wouldn't be communicating on this forum. The advent of the computer has brought lots of wonderful things that weren't possible in the past.

I have seen a lot of phenomenal photography in the world before the internet. Many on these forums spend far more time on these devices than going to shoot brilliant imagery. If you go to a public place, you see so many people either chimping or on their PDA's, but not looking up.

It was a very serious topic of discussion of at the 2008 Aspen Ideas Festival among world leaders and nobel laureates that what is happening with mankind's tactility and ability to relate to each other and to the natural world due to excessive time on computers is absolutely grave. In addition to that trend, overall health and fitness is falling at least in the U.S. due to people, well, basically having jobs in which they sit on their a$$ and then come home to sit on their a$$e$ again.

Now if you will excuse me, I really have to get off of here and finish shooting and taking notes on a test roll of rare Kodak high speed infrared in 120. In three days, I will carry my 500 CM, two lenses, three backs, Kodak HIE & Kodak Techpan in 120 and enough food to last 6 days in one of the most remote places in the country to make real images of the real world....

Guest guy_mancuso
Since I am using Aperture2, all is fine! For Leica M8 and for Nikon. I would give it a try! :)

Not for DMR - be aware of that ;)

I know Aperture is turning into a nice program. Now if it could see my Phase files than i would buy it. My file extension weirdly is for my raw files a .tif . Yes a .tif . Pretty strange extension for a raw file.

I know Aperture is turning into a nice program. Now if it could see my Phase files than i would buy it. My file extension weirdly is for my raw files a .tif . Yes a .tif . Pretty strange extension for a raw file.

Pretty much all these raw formats are based on a TIFF, the original 1Ds files shows up as a TIFF as well, and there were folks overwriting the RAW TIFFs with converted TIFFs.

You only need to pay more attention.

Guest guy_mancuso
I practically wrote Nikon hate mails, rants to my Nikon shooting Geographic friend's in the beginning of my use of NX. But out of that came something awesome. I just started using NX and even the viewer as an export utility, a digital "E-6" machine if you will and just nailing the shot in camera as best as I could.

What I found my self doing was shooting the FX sensor like chrome and getting exactly that result out of NX. As it now turns out, I spend about 25% of the time I used on the computer getting my files out and without any disclosure of this change in workflow to clients, they are raving about the look I am giving them. Unbelievably sharp and rich files with a killer grain pattern when it does show up. I have a tear sheet of a high end rack piece brochure that is 12x18 in size, it is double truck from the D3 at ISO 1600, night lifestyle in Winter. On the next page is a shot my buddy did of a dining scene with his 1DS-III at ISO 400. Not only can you not tell the difference in sharpness, the punch in mine is noticeably better. It's really kind of surreal, I hardly even use Photoshop anymore.

We all use a darn computer for everything these days and quite frankly, it has become the most shallow, self serving and anti-intrepid device man kind could have put between him self and the natural world.

I want to spend as little time on it as possible anymore, so the burden of NX has become the best thing that ever happened to my digital workflow.

But all of this has got a bit off topic, eh?

So back on topic, as good as Nikon's FX is, I won't be getting rid of my M8 any time soon. It does the R/F thing well despite it's flaws and it is lighter overall.

I figure people do a lot worse things with 5 grand than buy the first ever digital M and make some great pictures with it.

Well I agree anything that can get you going faster with processing is a good thing no doubt. I love and hate being the lab. I love the control but hate the time spent. I agree shooting is what we should be doing. Or spending time with our family. I get yelled at a lot from my wife because too much time behind the keyboard. This unfortunately is our new world with digital capture.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pretty much all these raw formats are based on a TIFF, the original 1Ds files shows up as a TIFF as well, and there were folks overwriting the RAW TIFFs with converted TIFFs.

You only need to pay more attention.

Exactly Simon is can be dangerous if your not paying attention to it. I do back up in two places from the card before I even start to process the files.

BTW Aperture announced today the noise ninja plug in. Might want to look into that folks.

yup_ sounds good! It works well on CS. For control freaks who want to do noise reduction themselves, in a powerful computer instead of having the camera do it on the more limited inboard processor. Sounds like umm - AF and Jpeg somehow:rolleyes:

BTW Aperture announced today the noise ninja plug in. Might want to look into that folks.

Tried it. Works great - especially with M8 files at ISO1250 and above ;)

With my D3 files I almost do not need noise reduction!