Sign in to follow this  
Guest stnami

A sense of purpose by Nikon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also, based on what I heard from Nikon, their cameras automatically become obsolete by the time they hit streets because newer models will be in the works.

I expect they're no different than Leica in that regard.

Simon's off on one of his anti-Nikon trips.

Fact is, the D3 upgrade costs £300 + tax, $500 + tax which is rather less than Leica would have you pay for either the shutter or the glass, never mind both; it's available now (though I will wait until my D3x arrives), none of the confusion and slipped dates from Solms.

Of course, not everyone needs a camera which runs at 9fps and will not see the point.

Leica Camera:

1000 Employees

127M€ turnover

~15M€ R+D

Nikon Corp:

22000 Employees

5,2B€ turnover

~300M€ R+D

Nikon Corp has a broader product portfolio (semiconductor lithography...), if I had the numbers of their camera division and compared them to Leica camera, the difference will be smaller. However, I would expect them to be in a different order of magnitude still.

I'm pretty sure that Nikon had a similar buffer upgrade on the D1X too.

I expect they're no different than Leica in that regard.

Yes, but a Leica is supposed to hold more value.

I don't quite understand that we are giving justice to Nikon for charging $500 for some memory increase, while at the same time we are cursing Leica for asking E1200 to replace sapphire glass and a new shutter mechanism.

@sdai: news about Apple making an iphone have been circulating way back these 6 months while waiting for FCC. Also there are ways to get that approval and still be secret about it. Nokia and all do this for a living. Since Apple was only introducing itself as a mobile phone maker, that would indeed be news, but the announcement described the product fully!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Simon's off on one of his anti-Nikon trips.

Fact is, the D3 upgrade costs £300 + tax, $500 + tax which is rather less than Leica would have you pay for either the shutter or the glass, never mind both; it's available now (though I will wait until my D3x arrives), none of the confusion and slipped dates from Solms.

Not sure how this is anti-Nikon but let's figure in the labor cost, say ... the replacement of the shutter and/or the sapphire glass will likely costly a German worker several hours. The upgrade of RAM is just pull out plug in and can be done in minutes ... not to mention that with $500 you can buy a well equipped Dell or HP computer with 2gig RAM now in America.

Presumably the D3x (or D4, perhaps?) will have a larger buffer to cope with it's bigger files, so it's probably an ideal opportunity for Nikon to offer it as an upgrade on the D3.

There are also rumours that updated new-build D3's will have the new buffer built-in, together with sensor dust removal if it too appears on the D3x.

@sdai: news about Apple making an iphone have been circulating way back these 6 months while waiting for FCC. Also there are ways to get that approval and still be secret about it. Nokia and all do this for a living. Since Apple was only introducing itself as a mobile phone maker, that would indeed be news, but the announcement described the product fully!

In general, I don't think pre-announcing a product or service is anything wrong, Leica by the time they announced the upgrade kits they've said it won't be available till August, right? the date hasn't slipped yet. So what's the complaint about?

Presumably the D3x (or D4, perhaps?) will have a larger buffer to cope with it's bigger files, so it's probably an ideal opportunity for Nikon to offer it as an upgrade on the D3.

There are also rumours that updated new-build D3's will have the new buffer built-in, together with sensor dust removal if it too appears on the D3x.

By the time Nikon announced the D3 their product manager has indicated that they won't name the successor to it D3x. This is very important because it marks a strategic shift in their product structure.

If the rumor about an updated D3 is correct, it'll most likely be named D3s. LOL

My concern is that Leica won't get the upgrade program right - their service dept doesn't have an exactly stellar record.

I find I need to send in my M8 for a redo of a repair done last fall (sticky framelines), something I'm not happy about. It's a common problem with M's, but how many months away will it take to get it repaired right? Why not the first time (camera was away for two months)?

I may get the new shutter at the same time, but I need to see in person just how much quieter it is first. If nothing else it will be worth the extended warranty time (god knows this camera needs it). The sapphire screen cover I could care less about as the screen quality itself is so poor. I would rather they be offering a better screen (not just the cover) and a better buffer upgrade (and framelines).

By the time Nikon announced the D3 their product manager has indicated that they won't name the successor to it D3x. This is very important because it marks a strategic shift in their product structure.

If the rumor about an updated D3 is correct, it'll most likely be named D3s. LOL

D3x (or D4, with its smaller bodied sibling becoming the D800) is generally assumed to be the higher resolution version of the D3, ie the successor to the D2x.

D3s would seem a reasonable bet for an upgraded D3 though, if NIkon haven't already decided to abandon the suffix convention for revised models.

Guest jimmy pro
My concern is that Leica won't get the upgrade program right - their service dept doesn't have an exactly stellar record.

I find I need to send in my M8 for a redo of a repair done last fall (sticky framelines), something I'm not happy about. It's a common problem with M's, but how many months away will it take to get it repaired right? Why not the first time (camera was away for two months)?

I may get the new shutter at the same time, but I need to see in person just how much quieter it is first. If nothing else it will be worth the extended warranty time (god knows this camera needs it). The sapphire screen cover I could care less about as the screen quality itself is so poor. I would rather they be offering a better screen (not just the cover) and a better buffer upgrade (and framelines).

Now, see, if I would of wrote that it would of been trashed as "negative"

On the contrary, I would like to point out that the last time I was at Leica in Allendale (a month or so back) they said they'd just hired a bunch of new techs in preperation for the upgrades. Also, Christian Ehrhart has started overseeing the repair operation and there attitude is the department is gonna shape up. So the next time someone says all I ever post is negatives, remember it's bullshit.

The assumption above that Nikon can just plug in the memory chip is naive at best. Given the compact nature of cameras today and the amount of electronics crammed in the memory chips are most likely soldered in and either must be desoldered or the board containing the chips replaced. Thus $500 is a deal compared to any other camera upgrade. And to compare the chip cost to a stand alone box like a Dell is ridiculous. Try upgrading the memory in your iTouch if you want a comparison. It will cost you more than an iTouch.

As to whether the upgrade is useful I would suppose that it depends on the kind of shooting you do. Being able to shoot 10fps for 4 seconds versus 1.5 may be the difference between the shot you want and not getting it. In any case tell me how the new sapphire glass on the M8 will improve your photography or chances of capturing that killer shot.

I think the timing is bad - one week before the Olympics. Unless Nikon plans to do on the spot upgrades in Beijing.

Coulda sworn this was the M8 forum ...

Thinks to self: "Have I somehow stumbled through hyperspace onto the Nokin forum?"

Pete.

… Being able to shoot 10fps for 4 seconds versus 1.5 may be the difference between the shot you want and not getting it. …

How would you know that you wanted it [the shot] if you never saw it in the first place?

Jeff

How would you know that you wanted it [the shot] if you never saw it in the first place?

Jeff

That is why you'd be shooting so fast. To freeze a moment that you wouldn't be able to discern, anticipate, or time otherwise. Not all photography is about previsualization. Some is exploration. Maybe what you want is the moment just before a high diver's head touches the water, or the exact instant a runner hits the tape, you name it, there are countless images you can think of but can't actually see happen.

Did you ever look at the flash photos by Edgerton, stroboscopic, or high speed motion picture photography? Then there is time exposure.

High speed photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My reply to "barjohn" was deleted because dpreview put their watermark logo on the picture which is owned by Nikon.

Anyway, here it goes again ... this one is put up on Nikon's press center web site so it should have no problem.

Note the two black chips with manufacturers' marks wiped out by Nikon, those are the memory chips, they're standard SDRAMs, do you think the work to replace them plus its own costs worth $500?

http://press.nikonusa.com/gallery/nikon/Digital_SLR/D3/images/D3_ASIC_1.jpg

My reply to "barjohn" was deleted because dpreview put their watermark logo on the picture which is owned by Nikon.

Anyway, here it goes again ... this one is put up on Nikon's press center web site so it should have no problem.

Note the two black chips with manufacturers' marks wiped out by Nikon, those are the memory chips, they're standard SDRAMs, do you think the work to replace them plus its own costs worth $500?

http://press.nikonusa.com/gallery/nikon/Digital_SLR/D3/images/D3_ASIC_1.jpg

What is your point Simon other than the fact you like rant about Nikon because they don't build all their cameras in Japan. If you think it is to expensive (assuming you own a D3) then don't up upgrade the buffer - simple as that. Similarly not everyone will need it and the same applies. I think the M8 upgrades are to expensive and have decide not to buy-in - so I move on....it is so easy.

That all said, I am not sure how this all relates to the M8 other than both OEMs are offering upgrades.

Terry.